Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 05:34 PM

52,684 posts, read 47,937,079 times

Advertisements

What do you suppose is coming to a table near you on Thanksgiving this year? That's what we want to find out, everybody! You know, every single year when we all gather with family and friends, it's a special time with very special food. Yes, in many ways, it's yet another food thread, but we always have fun with these. So, let's gather around our cozy computer campfire and I'll go get a few marshmallows. While I'm doing that, I want to see what all of you Texans will be having on Thursday's Thanksgiving table.

Here's what my mom is making, since I'll be at her place this Thursday.

Turkey
Dressing
Mashed Potatoes
Giblet Gravy
Green Bean Casserole
Cranberry Sauce (everyone else can have mine)
Rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Apple-Cinnamon Bundt Cake w/Caramel Sauce
Tea
Coffee

So, there's what I'll be having. How about all of you Texans on this holiday? What will be found on your dinner table?? Let 'er rip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 05:43 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,870,474 times
What is funny is that our TG and Christmas dinners have been identical as long as I can remember:

Chicken (but sometimes a small turkey breast, never a whole big turkey)
Texas cornbread dressing (NO sage, gag!!!!)
Gravy minus the giblets. I like giblets, but nobody else does, so.....
Homemade rolls (usually called Parkerhouse rolls), never packaged/bought
Smooth cranberry sauce (NEVER with lumps, LOL!!)
Baby peas
Pie, usually homemade chocolate with Dutch Process chocolate and real whipped cream, and a homemade crust.

Well,I look forward to Christmas,since we stopped going home for TG about 10-12 years ago!!!

Enjoy, y'all!!

Old 11-24-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
What is funny is that our TG and Christmas dinners have been identical as long as I can remember:

Chicken (but sometimes a small turkey breast, never a whole big turkey)
Texas cornbread dressing (NO sage, gag!!!!)
Gravy minus the giblets. I like giblets, but nobody else does, so.....
Homemade rolls (usually called Parkerhouse rolls), never packaged/bought
Smooth cranberry sauce (NEVER with lumps, LOL!!)
Baby peas
Pie, usually homemade chocolate with Dutch Process chocolate and real whipped cream, and a homemade crust.

Well,I look forward to Christmas,since we stopped going home for TG about 10-12 years ago!!!

Enjoy, y'all!!

Just so you know, Cathy, my Christmas menu won't be identical and hasn't been in years. My mom's planning a surprise next month, but I'll reveal it later!

Good list for Thursday.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:48 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
I'm hosting dinner for a few strays who have no one in town and nowhere to really go. I'm doing an all day buffet. Ham and turkey. Candied Sweet Potatoes, green been cassarole, rolls, Apple Pie, and Pumplin Pie. Wine, coffee. of course, there is a chese and cracker tray to nibble on.
I hope it's enough.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:16 PM

779 posts, read 2,246,508 times
As a future Texan (Dallasite), who currently resides in Oklahoma, I will be watching the Dallas Cowboys conquering the Seattle Seahawks and my dinner table will consist of:

Baked rice with sauteed vegetables
Fresh salad
Mashed potatoes
Caramelized brown peas
Wheat Rolls
sweet potatoes
Fried okra
Corn on the cob or corn casserole (so good)
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Vanilla Ice Cream
Sparkling Cider (Non-alcoholic)

(It is a dead giveaway that my family and I are vegetarians, isn't it).

Last edited by autotech4dallas; 11-24-2008 at 06:24 PM..

Old 11-24-2008, 06:42 PM

339 posts, read 1,435,761 times
Y'alls menus look divine!! <drools>

My family's habit is to eat out on Thanksgiving. Not sure exactly how that started, but I suspect that it's because after my grandparents passed, no Turkey Day home cookin' ever felt quite the same. Or tasted the same--by a long shot. What I can say? The younger folks in my family are just rotten cooks, especially when under pressure to deliver the tastiness. And this lack of skill and steady-handedness was passed down to me, too, by some some cruel genetic trick, and so now it's easier to go out and celebrate the season without my poor mom having a panic attack over an imploded turkey. And for some reason, my kin does not enjoy their dishes served with sides of kacvb's flop sweat. So what we give thanks for on Thanksgiving is togetherness....AND open restaurants. The kind of love and peace that comes when opening a menu and pointing to a dish.

But now if case44 wants to mail me some of his mom's apple cinnamon bundt cake with caramel sauce, I'll happily pass it off as my own. If there are any crumbs left that is. 'Cause that sounds YUMMY. Though I doubt I'd be fooling anyone!

Old 11-24-2008, 06:49 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,241,893 times
I pick all of the above and throw some jalepeno poppers there for me to snack on!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:01 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,236,369 times
Well, this Texan is commiting a sin this Thanksgiving.......we are going to drive up to *cough* Oklahoma to eat! Murray State Park is having a T'giving Feast at the lodge and, since it's just the two of us, we are going to drive up there and enjoy a little Okie hospitality. Surely it won't be too radically different than our own traditional menu (they'd better have sage in the dressing!).

Old 11-24-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacvb1974 View Post

But now if case44 wants to mail me some of his mom's apple cinnamon bundt cake with caramel sauce, I'll happily pass it off as my own. If there are any crumbs left that is. 'Cause that sounds YUMMY.

How about if I fax it to you??

Old 11-24-2008, 07:13 PM

779 posts, read 2,246,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
Well, this Texan is commiting a sin this Thanksgiving.......we are going to drive up to *cough* Oklahoma to eat! Murray State Park is having a T'giving Feast at the lodge and, since it's just the two of us, we are going to drive up there and enjoy a little Okie hospitality. Surely it won't be too radically different than our own traditional menu (they'd better have sage in the dressing!).
Oh no, you are not committing a sin at all. There are sooooooooooooooo many Texans in Oklahoma you will think you are in some small town in Texas called Oklatexas or something, lol. I have one more Thanksgiving in Oklahoma after this one (Thanksgiving 2009) and I will finally get to have a Texas Thanksgiving in 2010. Hmm. Texas Thanksgiving. It sounds so traditional.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday in Oklahoma, GayleTX.

Last edited by autotech4dallas; 11-24-2008 at 07:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: