Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:01 PM

339 posts, read 1,438,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
How about if I fax it to you??
LOL!! Good one.

While I'm waiting on the fax, I'll pull out my apple cinnamon room freshener and just pretend I'm chewing something homecooked. Or remotely edible.

This thread has inspired me that I could attempt to cook a Thanksgiving meal a few months early, no pressure and without advance notice, as a dress rehearsal to the real thing. We could become a normal family one of these days!! With regular practice, my Labor Day cranberry sauce might become legendary. An old dog CAN learn new tricks.

BTW, everyone taking off soon to travel to loved ones, be safe out there!! Godspeed to the C-D family. (And no matter how long or short your journey, remember the elastic band pants!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 08:03 PM

779 posts, read 2,252,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacvb1974 View Post

(And no matter how long or short your journey, remember the elastic band pants!)
Lol, that really is good advise. I will be wearing sweat pants this Thanksgiving.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:30 PM

595 posts, read 2,729,700 times
Here is what will be eating....
My 80 yr old mothers cornbread dressing...that she makes w/ no recipe.
Smoked Turkey Breast
Cranberry jelly
mashed potatoes
mac and cheese (homemade)
squash casserole
fruit salad
pecan pie
pumpkin pie

Old 11-24-2008, 08:42 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,050,380 times
I keep it pretty traditional:

-- Roast turkey

-- Traditional bread stuffing with onions, celery and sage. NO sausage, raisins, grapes, nuts, etc.

-- Homemade mashed potatoes with a hint of sour cream

-- Homemade macaroni and cheese for grown son with the culinary tastes of a small child!

-- Green bean casserole

-- Greek salad with spinach, olives, feta cheese and a drizzle of balsamic vinagrette

-- Crescent rolls a la the Dough Boy

-- Pumpkin pie with whipped cream and Turtle cheesecake

We ALL dislike sweet potatoes, yams, and cranberry sauce. Well, truth be told, I don't really dislike cranberry sauce but since no one else likes it I don't fix it just for myself.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:39 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,983,308 times
-- Honeyglazed ham
-- Mashed potatoes and gravy
-- Homemade yeast rolls
-- Apple salad with pecans
-- Pecan pie with vanilla Blue Bell ice cream
-- Iced tea

And I'll be wearing my Aggie shirt in support of a thorough whipping of the T-sips.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:42 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,754,413 times
Ours is similar to destin04's, and we usually end up having 2 seperate Thanksgivings. Tomorrow, at the PDO I work at, we're having Italian food (because noone wanted Turkey overload ). My sister will be hostess again this year for the extended family. She always gets this honor because her house is bigger. Their's is usually something like:

--Turkey (storebought or wild if BIL hunted one earlier). He'll either deep fry it or inject it with cajun spices or just go crazy and make up something to inject it with

--jalapeno poppers (my sister is in love with them)

--rolls (but not homemade. My sister isn't that creative)

--mashed potatoes

--broccoli cheese casserole/mac and cheese/green bean casserole (either all of these or just one or two)

--pea salad (my BIL's mom always brings pea salad with her everywhere. My sister and I make up stories about her and her pea salad)

--dessert (she makes me do this and I try and be creative every year. I got a cowboy cookbook from the library and there is a recipe in it for a cranberry tart that looks good. I may try that. It's recipes submitted by rodeo cowboys, actors who primarily did westerns, and musicians (like Bob Wills).

--plenty of beer, wine and liquor (BIL works for Miller distributing)

Then, my husband, daughter and I make our own meal at home:

--Husband smokes a turkey on the smoker

--mac and cheese (homemade)

--green bean casserole (I try different variations every year)

--sweet potatoes in new forms each time (I try new ones every year)

--homemade sweet potato biscuits or sweet potato croissants.

--loaded mashed potatoes

--cranberry sauce (chunky homemade kind, ground up or not, usually has orange in it too)

--Husband's grandma's recipe corn bread dressing

--pumpkin, pecan, chocolate pie or banana pudding

Lots of beer and football. For us, it's the UT/A&M game.

I forgot to add....We don't eat 2 meals in one day! We save ours for the weekend!

Old 11-25-2008, 01:50 AM

17 posts, read 50,950 times
Here's what my family (texan husband, german wife, two kids) set up in Germany over the last few years and that will take place in a very small form due to my husband being already in Texas and us waiting here in germany for my visa so we can also move and be together as a family again.

corn chowder
roast turkey with currant glaze
giblet gravy and gravy without giblet
cranberry sauce
corn bread stuffing
whipped sweet potatoes
green bean casserole
maple butter carrots
banana pudding
fruit salad
apple pie

Next year we will be able to celebrate Thanksgiving again with the whole family in Lubbock.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:36 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,962,606 times
Here in west Texas we're making:

Fried turkey
Stuffing (with gizzards, but not hearts or livers)
Sausage/parmesan stuffed mushrooms
Homemade mashed potatoes
Turkey gravy
Greenbean casserole
Buttered biscuits (store bought)
Pumpkin pie (more store bought)
Homemade cheesecake

Old 11-25-2008, 09:00 AM

869 posts, read 2,961,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autotech4dallas View Post

(It is a dead giveaway that my family and I are vegetarians, isn't it).
You are aware that we only allow vegetarians in the hippie confines of Austin...right???

Old 11-25-2008, 09:15 AM

869 posts, read 2,961,047 times
Now that I have made a terrible joke at autotech's expense, I guess I should at least post something that's on topic. So let's see if I can remember everything that goes out for our spread.

Roast Turkey
Cajun Fried Turkey (yep, we'll do two different turkeys)
Baked Chicken (one of my sisters doesn't do turkey)
Cornbread Dressing
Green Bean Casserole
Candied Sweet Potatoes
Potatoes Romanoff (funny, I always thought it was Romanov, like the Russian family)
Asparagus
Lumpy Mashed Potatoes (we like 'em chunky)
Fried Corn
Rutabagas
Hominy stuff (don't know if it has an actual name, it's hominy, Velveeta and Diced green chiles)
Macaroni and Cheese
Rolls
German Chocolate Cake
Pecan Pie
Pecan Praline Cheesecake

I think that's about it...jeez...I think I gained 5 pounds just typing all that!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: