Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the most overhyped or overrated?
Dallas 71 20.11%
Austin 229 64.87%
Houston 53 15.01%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:03 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,610,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
That is wikipedia your looking at. I could easily put Beaumont, Texas on the list as a top tier city.
there are links at the bottom to gawc so it's not like those rankings were just made up by some 17 year old at their computer though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 09:12 PM

20,523 posts, read 33,582,777 times
Quote:
Houstonians please stop hating on Dallas it really is annoying. Rather you like it or not Dallas has always been the most popular and recognize city in Texas and will always be so. They dont call it Big D for nothing. To say Houston does not get any national attention is baloney. It seems like super bowl is held there every other year and the city has a pretty big hip hop scene. Dallas is just Dallas simply put.
It seems like the super bowl is held there every other year? Super bowl of what? Rodeos? And you can't say always be so. Houston, if they start to market itself, could easily become more recognizable. In fact, Dallas is more popular portrayed in the media and popular culture. But not much more.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:06 AM

342 posts, read 686,007 times
kdogg817 no one is hating on dallas atleast not me, i actually lived in both cities and im basing my opinion from what i seen and experienced in both cities. in my opinion dallas is overrated, i wasnt impresses at all the wole time i was there i couldnt figure out why it was called big D, dont get me wrong something i liked, the state fair for one. i just dont agree when a topic comes up about texas cities u have a few people comparing dallas and houston, dallas and houston isnt even in the same league dallas is in the NBDL and houston is inthe NBA. to burst your bubble dude houston is the most visited city in texas, so dallas is not popular as you think.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:49 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,204,174 times
I think Houston is a nice town, but I just couldn't take the climate and hurricane season, and the traffic is awful. That being said, Dallas has gridlock too. So does Austin, the most overhyped (you can see that by the population growth and traffic/construction zones), even though I still love parts of it and its natural setting (steadily disappearing). They are all too big. Fort Worth beats them all IMO, and I'd like to live in a much smaller town, like Alpine, but there is no way for me to make a living there.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:45 AM

houston is not a town its a city naw im just giving you a hard time but ft worth? thats interesting i never been whats it like?

Old 03-01-2009, 10:15 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,975,190 times
How is Fort Worth the best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I think Houston is a nice town, but I just couldn't take the climate and hurricane season, and the traffic is awful. That being said, Dallas has gridlock too. So does Austin, the most overhyped (you can see that by the population growth and traffic/construction zones), even though I still love parts of it and its natural setting (steadily disappearing). They are all too big. Fort Worth beats them all IMO, and I'd like to live in a much smaller town, like Alpine, but there is no way for me to make a living there.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:31 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,849,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
kdogg817 no one is hating on dallas atleast not me, i actually lived in both cities and im basing my opinion from what i seen and experienced in both cities. in my opinion dallas is overrated, i wasnt impresses at all the wole time i was there i couldnt figure out why it was called big D, dont get me wrong something i liked, the state fair for one. i just dont agree when a topic comes up about texas cities u have a few people comparing dallas and houston, dallas and houston isnt even in the same league dallas is in the NBDL and houston is inthe NBA. to burst your bubble dude houston is the most visited city in texas, so dallas is not popular as you think.
What big city isnt overrated, LA, NYC, or Chicago not exactly what I would call the model for a major city. Im from the other side of the metroplex Fort Worth. When I go any where across the country I say I am from Fort Worth and they reply aw your from Dallas. Why is that? Dallas promotes itself Fort Worth dosen't. Furthermore, DFW has 500,000 + more people in there metro area than Houston, so the whole notion Dallas is NBDL is laughable at best. Houston seems to have so much animosity towards Dallas. I haven't said one negative thing about the city of Houston but I do think it is a great Texas city and a world class city along with Dallas.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:53 AM

188 posts, read 521,287 times
Quote:
What big city isnt overrated, LA, NYC, or Chicago not exactly what I would call the model for a major city. Im from the other side of the metroplex Fort Worth. When I go any where across the country I say I am from Fort Worth and they reply aw your from Dallas. Why is that? Dallas promotes itself Fort Worth dosen't. Furthermore, DFW has 500,000 + more people in there metro area than Houston, so the whole notion Dallas is NBDL is laughable at best. Houston seems to have so much animosity towards Dallas. I haven't said one negative thing about the city of Houston but I do think it is a great Texas city and a world class city along with Dallas.
NYC definitely lives up to its hype and its relatively low levels of corruption (except for Wall Street) do indeed make it a model major city on this planet. No other city in the U.S. can compete. Chicago, LA, Dallas, Houston, and any other major city in the U.S. don't live up to their hype, though.

Houstonians - Dallas respectfully deserves all the attention it gets. It seems like every major company in this country has a warehouse, distribution center, factory and/or corporate headquarters in Dallas. Dallas is the 'halfway point' between the eastern and western United States. Dallas is a major transportation hub and the main artery for distributing a lot of our nation's agriculture. America can't function without Dallas, however we can still function without Houston, though not as comfortably (foreign oil). We have a lot to thank Dallas for quite a bit of stuff, which is probably why the people there are so pretentious.

Houston can't say all of that. Houston's only really well known for oil, Nasa, diversity, hurricanes, excellent food and entertainment, and a strong hiphop scene... but it'd be best if all of those things were kept a secret.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:41 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,581,997 times
There's nothing wrong with Dallas itself. It's the pretentious $30K millionaire types that seem attracted to Dallas like flies to **** that we don't like. Personally, I don't care which city is more or less popular to the rest of the mouth-breathing imbeciles who inhabit this country, but I can't speak for everyone there.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:47 AM

kdogg look at wht you wrote, your comparing a metroplex pop. to one city which doesnt make sense. compare cities not metros to cities, and if we do that houston almost doubles dallas, and almost triples fort woth, so yeah thats is laughable. i dont think houston and dallas people hate each, i think houston people such as myslef get a little offended when dallas try to compare itself to houston. when dallas isnt in the same weight class as houston, dallas get your weight up first before challanging a big dog. one other reason people like me, like to put forth worth with dallas is because, yall do it especially when its convienent, like what you just did, trying to compare two cities to one. so before you have to idea of comparing dfw to houston please realize , dfw is a metro and houston is one city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas