Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the most overhyped or overrated?
Dallas 71 20.11%
Austin 229 64.87%
Houston 53 15.01%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 04:28 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,970,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Cant speak for Houston but Dallas gets lots of love from the media.
You talking about those TV shows that stereotype everyone as horse riding, big hair wearing, deep fried eating, country accented bumpkins?

You call that love? If so I got me some Ocean front property in Phoenix that you may be interested in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 05:40 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,419,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autotech4dallas View Post
Oklahoma is another hot spot for Californians to be moving to, which remains such a mystery to me.
Well just a few are moving to OK, which shows you only a few Ca are seeing through the Austin hype... Ca invented hype. Youd think they could sniff it out but group think is a powerful force

Old 04-16-2013, 09:51 PM

770 posts, read 1,798,960 times
Austin, although it is a nice area, is definitely the most over-hyped. I have been to other fast-growing cities in this country such as Charlotte and Raleigh, NC, and can say that those cities live up to the hype more than Austin does; especially Charlotte.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:14 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,773,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Austin, although it is a nice area, is definitely the most over-hyped. I have been to other fast-growing cities in this country such as Charlotte and Raleigh, NC, and can say that those cities live up to the hype more than Austin does; especially Charlotte.
I agree that Austin is the most over-hyped Texas city in the national media for a range of reasons, but Charlotte has almost none of the culture industries that allow Austin to be so easily hyped: huge live music scene, film industry, innovative food scene, higher education, exploding downtown residential construction, vestigial hippies, insurgent hipsters etc. Coastal journalists have a hard time getting excited by NASCAR and banking. Culturally speaking, Charlotte incubates nothing of interest to them. It is a city of big bank towers downtown and generic sunbelt suburbia. Austin has elements of this, but the central defining core of Austin is what paradoxically gets many of the opinion makers in the rest of the country (not the state) loving Texas which they would normally hate.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
I agree that Austin is the most over-hyped Texas city in the national media for a range of reasons, but Charlotte has almost none of the culture industries that allow Austin to be so easily hyped: huge live music scene, film industry, innovative food scene, higher education, exploding downtown residential construction, vestigial hippies, insurgent hipsters etc. Coastal journalists have a hard time getting excited by NASCAR and banking. Culturally speaking, Charlotte incubates nothing of interest to them. It is a city of big bank towers downtown and generic sunbelt suburbia. Austin has elements of this, but the central defining core of Austin is what paradoxically gets many of the opinion makers in the rest of the country (not the state) loving Texas which they would normally hate.
Well I do agree with you about the live music scene; Austin clearly beats Charlotte in that category but in terms of overall culture, the arts, and "hipster" neighborhoods, I would say that Charlotte has a slight edge.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:52 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,773,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Well I do agree with you about the live music scene; Austin clearly beats Charlotte in that category but in terms of overall culture, the arts, and "hipster" neighborhoods, I would say that Charlotte has a slight edge.
Not remotely: Central East Austin is one of the most prominent hipster neighborhoods in the U.S. There is nothing like E.A.S.T in Charlotte and Charlotte has nothing like Austin's restaurant or food truck scene. How many prominent national film-makers or writers live in Charlotte?

Old 04-16-2013, 11:47 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,274,629 times
I haven't had the chance to really explore Charlotte like i'd like to have. But it seems like they've built up around the Uptown area. And yes, I know its also the downtown area.

I know i said this years ago, but Austin is definitely the mosst overhyped city here in the TX. Dallas seems like it overhypes itself, and Houston is just plain underhyped and shy. It doesn't like to flash and show off like its little siblings.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Not remotely: Central East Austin is one of the most prominent hipster neighborhoods in the U.S. There is nothing like E.A.S.T in Charlotte and Charlotte has nothing like Austin's restaurant or food truck scene. How many prominent national film-makers or writers live in Charlotte?
Well, I don't know about those specifics, but as popular as Charlotte is these days, I think it would be a safe bet that there are many national film-makers and writers in Charlotte. Charlotte is not as dull as you think. I spent more than a few days there and like when I was in Austin, thoroughly enjoyed my time. Uptown Charlotte is especially great in terms of culture and nightlife.

However, I don't want you thinking that I don't consider Austin a great time and a unique place because I do. In fact, Austin is one of a kind here in Texas, IMHO.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:46 AM

954 posts, read 1,550,698 times
Of course Austin is overhyped and overrated by the media, because the media can relate, be supportive, and even embrace the political mentality of Austin: it's one of their own, an oasis of blue on the Texas map. On the other hand they can barely restrain their contempt for the other major Texas cities, especially Houston. Houston is after all the fossil-fuel, anti-zoning capital of the country while the media is all about maximizing government management of everything in our lives associated with land-use and real estate development and blindly supportive of all things pro climate change.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:38 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,962,925 times
Quote:
Homeland is shot in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas