Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the most overhyped or overrated?
Dallas 71 20.11%
Austin 229 64.87%
Houston 53 15.01%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:04 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,207,468 times

Advertisements

I really don't see austin being anyhtiong like dallas or houston.Same goes for san antonio. I mean just look at the ariprst for one thing;minor league really. dallas and houston are by far the urban areas of Texas. I really don't think Austin wants to be and San Antonio wil always be a miltary city mostly rather than a business city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 10:08 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,352,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Can you prove this though? I feel Dallas gets more from the West Coast than anything else, while Houston gets more from the Midwest.
I would assume Dallas gets much more people from the midwest, especially if were considering Arkansas and Oklahoma as the midwest. I know Houston gets lots of people from Chicago and Milwaukee, at least lots of my friends at TSU are from there.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:09 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,352,143 times
Quote:
Link?
Houston isn't a big convention city ,especially with the low amount of rooms within the downtown area. That has been a weakness for Houston for a while now.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:30 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,108,771 times
Quote:
Can you prove this though? I feel Dallas gets more from the West Coast than anything else, while Houston gets more from the Midwest.
Houston gets more people internationally than anything. A lot of Asians from the West Coast too.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:54 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,724,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I would assume Dallas gets much more people from the midwest, especially if were considering Arkansas and Oklahoma as the midwest. I know Houston gets lots of people from Chicago and Milwaukee, at least lots of my friends at TSU are from there.
Houston and Chicago seem to have some kind of unofficial sister city (well, more like brother city ) relationship. I don't know where or when it started. My guess is Chicago started taking an interest in Houston as it grew to fourth-city status, but that's a tangent for another thread. As far as domestic in-migration from the Midwest, Houston also gets lots of people from Ohio and Michigan, but really we get folks from everywhere. I've met a lot of people from New Jersey and New York over the years. And there are a lot of Californians in the trendy MPC's like Katy, Sugar Land, and The Woodlands. At my atheist church is a little contingent of folks from Madison, Wisconsin, my kid's teacher is also from Wisconsin, and two people I work closely with are from Washington State and Upstate NY. The other day at work I met a woman who'd just moved here from Portland, Oregon, the second in the past three weeks. Until I see some stats suggesting otherwise, I think both cities get plenty of people from all over the U.S. I don't doubt that Dallas gets more people from nearby states Oklahoma and Arkansas, while Houston gets more people from Southern Louisiana, but beyond that, I suspect it's a free-for-all. When people are chasing jobs, they're going to go wherever they get the best job offer. Both cities have major airports, so after a certain point, it doesn't really matter how close to your home state you are; you're still going to have to travel by air rather than car to visit it.

Last edited by houstoner; 03-22-2009 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: adding that bit about Chicago

Old 03-22-2009, 11:50 AM

20,560 posts, read 33,742,633 times
Well I have said in the past. Chicagoans are now treating Houston like New York has treated Atlanta. When I lived in Chicago for a year, many were trying to go to Houston themselves and some did.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:06 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,618,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't and that goes for many other current Southern cities. I think Dallas is the most successful NHL franchise because of the amount of Midwesteners and Canadians moving down there. But the Florida teams, Carolina, Nashville, Phoenix, and Atlanta are not really known to have great attendance and Houston would probably be no exception.
I would think itd be because the Stars are more successful and win more than other southern NHL teams. That whole bandwagon mentatlity.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:49 PM

3,011 posts, read 3,571,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
I would think itd be because the Stars are more successful and win more than other southern NHL teams. That whole bandwagon mentatlity.
Los Angeles was where the whole hockey in the Sunbelt mentality started. The Kings aren't that good of a team but they do have a devoted following. I think the Stars have a devoted following. There are many Lifelong Texans (not northern transplants) who are hockey fans.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 5,253 times
I've been here in Austin for 16 years, and frankly, I'm tired of the elitism here. The city council here has a direct agenda to copy California will all the stupid green ordinances that aren't scientifically viable. And the single women here are all "strong & independent". If you're single here, you'll stay single here. Want a good traditional woman to introduce to your parents? Look elsewhere. Have children and want to hang out with neighbors with kids and drink some beers without being criticized? Look elsewhere. Although this town is "liberal", it is not "liberal" by traditional sense. You cannot speak your mind if its not politically correct. And you cannot spank your kid in public without some stupid exhippie soccer mom criticizing. There's too many people here, and nobody is even from here. My lease is up in March, I'll be moving to San Antonio where people dont have so much to prove.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:17 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,747,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit of 70 View Post
I've been here in Austin for 16 years, and frankly, I'm tired of the elitism here. The city council here has a direct agenda to copy California will all the stupid green ordinances that aren't scientifically viable. And the single women here are all "strong & independent". If you're single here, you'll stay single here. Want a good traditional woman to introduce to your parents? Look elsewhere. Have children and want to hang out with neighbors with kids and drink some beers without being criticized? Look elsewhere. Although this town is "liberal", it is not "liberal" by traditional sense. You cannot speak your mind if its not politically correct. And you cannot spank your kid in public without some stupid exhippie soccer mom criticizing. There's too many people here, and nobody is even from here. My lease is up in March, I'll be moving to San Antonio where people dont have so much to prove.
Bye! Y'all come back ya hear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas