Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 01:52 PM

531 posts, read 2,074,055 times

Advertisements

Why does Texas have a bad image amongst people not from Texas. Is this ignorance or media bias?

Old 01-28-2007, 02:00 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
Why does Texas have a bad image amongst people not from Texas. Is this ignorance or media bias?
I would say it's a little of both. I grew up in Texas but moved to the East Coast right after college. I remember talking to some of my friends from the North East who thought people in Texas all rode horses and lived on farms. A lot of people also think that Texas is a huge desert, like Arizona or something. Simple ignorance and misconceptions.

But, that being said, some of it Texans can only blame on themselves. Some of the traditions and culture of Texas are truly redneck and it doesn't play well in more cosmopolitan areas of the country. There are also places in Texas that are truly vile (e.x. Vidor, TX). That stuff gets a lot of media attention (as it should) but people in Texas don't seem to rebut those stories with the positives very well. Instead they complain about the media. Finally, it can't help that the current president is unfortunately from Texas. Since he's at about 30% nationally now and about as popular as a herpes internationally, he gives the rest of the state a very bad name.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:04 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
Oh they are just jealous, not everyone can be from Texas.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:50 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,499 times
Quote:
Does anyone from Texas care what the less fortunate think of our image?I certainly could care less what Californians or Yankees think of Texas.

Come to think of it,maybe I'd rather they had a bad image.Then the less desirable among them won't move here and spend all day complaining about everything.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:56 PM

437 posts, read 2,238,648 times
Humm, now I am from Calif and I don't think that way or I wouldn't be wanting to move there.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:13 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,499 times
Bound

You seem to be a very quality individual desiring to make the most out of moving to Texas.You will be a very welcome addition to Texas,and I hope you get to make the move soon.But do us all,including yourself,a favor and when any of these less desirable complainers ask how Texas is,tell 'em it sucks.No point in encouraging the riffraff to move here.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:39 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,007,817 times
Hey Irwin, are you a member of the Dixie Chicks? LOL just kidding
Anyway, we'l be moving to Texas this summer. I a having trouble with my 11 and 15 yr old sons as far as the Texas outlook. My 17yr old daughter is excited to get to Texas, whereas my 2 oldest sons tend to think that Texas is nothing but redneck hillbillies. I think a lot of this has to do with other people's perception. There's no reason for my kids to think these things other than what their friends say to them and make fun of them for moving to Texas. My kids have a hard tiome understanding that Texas is a very high tech, wealthy state with some of the best colleges in the nation. I just don't understand where they get their misconceptions.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:45 PM

147 posts, read 241,060 times
Default Anti-Southern Bigotry

Northerners and Californians are trained in anti-southern bigotry. They need to put us down to feel better about themselves.

I hope they think negatively about the state all they want. Then fewer of them will move here.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:47 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,801,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
I remember talking to some of my friends from the North East who thought people in Texas all rode horses and lived on farms. A lot of people also think that Texas is a huge desert, like Arizona or something. Simple ignorance and misconceptions.

But, that being said, some of it Texans can only blame on themselves. Some of the traditions and culture of Texas are truly redneck and it doesn't play well in more cosmopolitan areas of the country.

There are also places in Texas that are truly vile (e.x. Vidor, TX).
Everything but the comment above on Vidor are all big positives to me, even if they are largely incorrect.

I love Ron White's joke "... While most other states are trying to get rid of the death penalty, my state is putting in an Express Lane..."

Old 01-28-2007, 04:53 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I love Ron White's joke "... While most other states are trying to get rid of the death penalty, my state is putting in an Express Lane..."
Yea...funny until you start realizing the number of people who were clearly innocent and let off death row at the last minute. Having defense lawyers and judges fall asleep during death penalty cases is not something to be proud of.

Texas is a great place, but there are plenty things about Texas that are not so great and are in fact an embarrassment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas