Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 08:59 AM

40 posts, read 207,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Finally, it can't help that the current president is unfortunately from Texas. Since he's at about 30% nationally now and about as popular as a herpes internationally, he gives the rest of the state a very bad name.

Yea...funny until you start realizing the number of people who were clearly innocent and let off death row at the last minute. Having defense lawyers and judges fall asleep during death penalty cases is not something to be proud of.
Being from NY, where we can't build jails fast enough, and our distiguished Senator Hillary was the defacto former President, Texas looks like a breath of fresh air to me.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:01 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Half of the houses around me that have sold were bought by people from California. Judging by the number of California plates I see daily at the schools, shops, highway, streets, etc I'd say there is a good number of them coming here. Most of the calls to my friends that work in real estate are from people from California moving here. Mabye "droves" is not the correct term but there are plenty of them moving to Texas.
I work for a large Real Estate company, and not a single individual in this company that i've met in the 2 years i've been here has been from California. I spend alot of time in Uptown, Addison, and most of North Dallas. I rarely see cars with California plates. I'm also a student, and have been for a few years. Can't recall the last time I met a California transplant. Not saying they are not here, I just think the number is being exaggerated greatly.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:44 AM

147 posts, read 241,060 times
Default Californians are in Frisco, McKinney

Californians are buying houses in Frisco and McKinney. Frisco population has increased from 12,000 people in 1995 to estimated 93,000 in 2006. That difference is "droves".

Old 01-31-2007, 11:51 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastDallasNative View Post
Californians are buying houses in Frisco and McKinney. Frisco population has increased from 12,000 people in 1995 to estimated 93,000 in 2006. That difference is "droves".
I know alot of "born and raised" people from Dallas buying houses out in Frisco. Thats the droves. People are moving further away from inner city Dallas because of crime, rising costs and traffic.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:30 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I work for a large Real Estate company, and not a single individual in this company that i've met in the 2 years i've been here has been from California. I spend alot of time in Uptown, Addison, and most of North Dallas. I rarely see cars with California plates. I'm also a student, and have been for a few years. Can't recall the last time I met a California transplant. Not saying they are not here, I just think the number is being exaggerated greatly.
Well hate to tell ya but I see many California plates everyday here in the Dallas area. I see other states too but the majority are from California. In my small neighborhood of the handful of homes that have sold in the last year over 1/2 were bought by people from California, I've meet them so I do know. I've also seen some that have bought in the area come into the school to enroll their children. Recently visiting a friend in Allen we saw the large "pod" sitting in the street across from them and she said that the buyers were from California. My sis in McKinney has a new neighbor from California. She is a teacher in McKinney and they have seen several new students from California. My mom is w/ Ebby, good friends w/ Coldwell Banker and other agencies around and they all say the same thing, lots of buyers coming in from California. Maybe, just maybe they are getting a different clientele than you are. BTW, we never gave an exact number of people moving in from California, just expressed that there were a great number of them.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:11 PM

660 posts, read 2,440,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
Why does Texas have a bad image amongst people not from Texas. Is this ignorance or media bias?
it doesnt seem like it has to bad of a reputation if its one of the states that everybodys moving to

Old 01-31-2007, 05:48 PM

127 posts, read 378,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
Many natives are tired of Texas being the saving grace for those whose own native state has become so screwed up that the natives are jumping ship and running here,but then all we here when they get here is how bad things are here,and how much better things were back home.I saw and heard a lot of this in the '80's from people moved in from Mich,W Virg,Penn,Ohio,and other states up in the Rust Belt.Now half of CA seems to be moving here with the same attitude,and lots of Texans,especially those in DFW,which seems to be bearing the major brunt of this infestation,are just not interested in listening to it again.
Well go on and flatter yourself if it helps but the real story is that TX is DESPERATE to bring people here. Dallas' chamber of commerce people are still beating themselves up because Boeing chose Chicago over Dallas. They brought alot of business here but they didn't have the work force to fill the jobs. And now they want to become the next CA and that's sad.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:05 PM

I've lived here for 15 years and I have met great people in TX and I've met some of the worst And they treated me bad simply because I moved in from another place. Simulating a gun at my license plate shortly after moving here wasn't very hospitable. Or the people that want to shove their liberal politics down my throat. Why are liberals so obnoxious in the south and west? The conservatives are the nice people here BTW. And up north noone ever shoved their politics or religion down my throat. Or when I applied for a job as a receptionist and was told they were a southwestern company and wanted a southwestern accent to answer their phones. Or when they thought that because I was from Philadelphia that I should talk like Rocky. Or they thought that there is snow on the ground all winter long in PHiladelphia. Now all those things happened many years ago and I hated TX at first but now I never have to deal with those types anymore, THANK GOD, so it is much better. The only thing I don't like about TX is the sun and I would like to head north but my husband is from here and won't move. Another trait of the natives!

Old 01-31-2007, 06:10 PM

Default I Love Texans

Oh yea, I would like to add what I love about Texans - they believe in guns just like me! I own a gun and when I flew with it once the airport people in PA were freaked out about me flying with a gun, but not the TX airport

Old 01-31-2007, 06:10 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,430,029 times
"Californians are buying houses in Frisco and McKinney."

That's because those are two excellent spots to live and build a nice custom home that may realize some upside in the next 3-5 years.

Oh, and they also have some of the best schools and lowest crime rates in the area.

It's funny how natives hate those 2 areas and everyone from the outside wouldn't think to live anywhere else.

The 'us vs. them' attitude you guys sometimes project is very insular and unwarranted. Please show me one instance where a Californian came here and made something worse. Waiting.

In CA, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. It's america and peole come and go as they please. Change and adaptation is a way of life. get used to it.

Last edited by socketz; 01-31-2007 at 06:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas