Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 05:37 PM

147 posts, read 241,013 times

Advertisements

If Texas is such an embarrassment, then when are the transplants moving from Texas? When will the Californians stop moving in here to North Texas? When will Texas residents originally from the Northeast move back?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:48 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastDallasNative View Post
If Texas is such an embarrassment, then when are the transplants moving from Texas? When will the Californians stop moving in here to North Texas? When will Texas residents originally from the Northeast move back?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Please re-read my post and read it carefully.

I didn't say that Texas is an embarrassment, but I said there are plenty of things about Texas that are embarrassing. One of them is the fact that we execute more people then every other state in the country combined. Another is the fact that natives can't take the slightest criticism without being defensive.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Many Texas residents not Texans

We have transplants from the Northern states by the millions in number. Californians are pouring in. They far outnumber the natives in the suburban areas outside of Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio.

I merely point to them as the majority. If they did not want Texas to have a death penality, it would be changed.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:27 PM

30 posts, read 181,678 times
Default We like our reputation

I moved to Texas after living in California for 10 years. I was raised in the Midwest. I guess here I am considered a "Yankee".

I LOVE TEXAS. There was a bit of culture shock at first, but now, I wonder how I could live anywhere else.

Texas is the only state that can say it was once its own republic. In my opinion, there is a fiercely independent strain of folk in the Lone Star State. I don't think Texans care about criticism, in fact, find it reinforcing.

My father is a businessman in the midwest. He works w/people from all over the country. He complains that while he likes Texas and its people, he hasn't seen a "good 'ol boy" network quite like it anywhere else. Hmm. I know what he means. Thing is, it's not really THAT.

People here (largely) believe a handshake is your word. If you are good and trustworthy, hard-working--that "good 'ol boys" club will include YOU, regardless. I've seen it.

The caveat is that it takes some time. Texans really dislike being wrong about a person's character so if you let them down, they never forget.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:28 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,112 times
Quote:
Another is the fact that natives can't take the slightest criticism without being defensive.
Many natives are tired of Texas being the saving grace for those whose own native state has become so screwed up that the natives are jumping ship and running here,but then all we here when they get here is how bad things are here,and how much better things were back home.I saw and heard a lot of this in the '80's from people moved in from Mich,W Virg,Penn,Ohio,and other states up in the Rust Belt.Now half of CA seems to be moving here with the same attitude,and lots of Texans,especially those in DFW,which seems to be bearing the major brunt of this infestation,are just not interested in listening to it again.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Tired cf the complaints

lifertexan needs to say that again, but we also need to add that the out-of-staters need to look at themselves.

They make up such a large percentage of the population, but then they blame the rare locals for all the problems. I am just amazed at people who complain about the locals, but when asked which locals or Native Texans they have met, they can't say. They have not met any.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:34 AM

152 posts, read 732,124 times
Default Bad Images

The desire and ability to live a simpler less expensive lives and faith in God are seen as undesirable traits amongst the so called enlighten elite that inhabit overpriced cities on the coasts. The bad image of Texas keeps those folks where they belong.....

Old 01-29-2007, 07:47 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,220 times
I had an unfavorable image of Texas being born and raised in California. I thought Texas was a redneck paradise in bad taste with big hair women and too tight jeans and boots men. I went the first time to Arlington on a business trip in 2001. It was strangely warmish and the weather seemed odd, and the work site I had to go to said "No firearms Allowed" on the front door which I thought was hilarious and completely stereotypical. I also didn't like the TexMex version of Mexican food for the most part. The salsa is runny and thin. I grew up with California's version of Mexican food and I guess it's a matter of what you're used to. I still prefer the California authentic Mexican version.
But, once I walked into a Saltgrass Steakhouse and had a steak with baked potato, potato cheese soup, and Blue Bell ice cream, I began to find an affection for Texas! That was the best dinner I've ever had! I gorged! I wanted to pull a Roman and regurge so I could do it all over again! I still dream about that dinner and steakhouse. I've got to go back.
I also liked the landscape of North Texas and the homes I saw were very nice. It's very beautiful.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:16 AM

232 posts, read 995,110 times
I really don't understand why some American's get so upset by other American's moving to "their state".
I have lived in a few different states and have seen it a lot. I personally couldn't care where someone is from as long as they are a good person. But I also agree that you shouldn't move to a new state and talk trash about that place. Instead, try making a difference where you live !
As for the death penalty.....Good for Texas ! I am a liberal originally from CA and fully support the death penalty.

Last edited by scubashawn; 01-29-2007 at 09:29 AM..

Old 01-29-2007, 09:19 AM

232 posts, read 995,110 times
I personally think that unless you actually live in the area you are talking about , you really have no idea what it is truly like. That goes for all states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas