Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2014, 08:45 PM

20,553 posts, read 33,769,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
I remember a 2011 game in Arlington where the air temp was 107F, meaning on-field was probably 110F+ . The heat definitely takes enjoyment from physically being a spectator at the game. I cannot (more like, don't want to) imagine a future Rangers stadium design without a retractable roof included.

That said, the Rangers proved in the 2010-11 seasons that the World Series is attainable despite the brutal summer conditions at home. I'd heard several sportscasters doubt they could be serious WS contenders due to being worn down by September.
The June Swoon they use to call it. The next stadium will have a roof I bet. Houston's placement of their stadiums is far superior to Dallas. Only the Mavs/Stars have it right. Most teams not named Atlanta are building urban stadiums. I think the next location will be in downtown Dallas or downtown Fort Worth.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:20 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 23,026,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The June Swoon they use to call it. The next stadium will have a roof I bet. Houston's placement of their stadiums is far superior to Dallas. Only the Mavs/Stars have it right. Most teams not named Atlanta are building urban stadiums. I think the next location will be in downtown Dallas or downtown Fort Worth.
Should be downtown Fort Worth since Tarrant County actually supports the Rangers more than Dallas County...

And the fact that we have historic LaGrave Field that we could expand in the future Panther Island neighborhood just north of downtown...

Old 06-15-2014, 10:31 PM

297 posts, read 478,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
I can see that in the future.

Tesla (the car manufacturer) has given up the rights to their patent
(TESLA IS GIVING AWAY ALL OF ITS PATENTS FOR FREE <--LINK)
and allowing Everyone and Anyone to replicate their hybrid technology ,
in hopes that other Car manufacturers will pick up the ball and get into the
Clean air, Eco-Friendly Car game.

When and if that happens (which I'm sure Texas and Houston will oppose)
the Bust will hit HARD.

And people, I believe, will make a move to Electric Cars,
If they can prove that the horsepower is there.

Dallas' economy will remain stable.
(especially if Toyota picks up the Ball; which I believe they DO
manufacture hybrids)

Old 06-15-2014, 11:09 PM

6,303 posts, read 7,574,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post

the Bust will hit HARD.

manufacture hybrids)
LOL You are sooo desperate that you just cannot keep your fantasies of a Houston bust too yourselves, can you.

First of all internal combustion is not a stagnant technology either. Two, even if electric cars do catch on in a big way, that will stimulate the natural gas market which most new electric power plants will use.

Keep dreaming its all you really have.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 06-15-2014 at 11:59 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 12:29 AM

20,553 posts, read 33,769,283 times
Quote:

the Bust will hit HARD.

manufacture hybrids)
If it has something to do with energy, Houston will be involved. Houston isn't the oil capital, but the energy capital. We aren't running out if energy for a very long time.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:48 AM

725 posts, read 1,247,034 times
Quote:
Wow... I don't know why u guys' comments never get deleted.
Just come on here to make snide remarks and point imaginary fingers,
yet never post any real DATA. LOL.

I'll be posting a beautiful video for you before the day is done
(it is now the 16th of June, 2014)

By the way,

U.S. seems to want to intervene in Iraq;
wanting to get involved with the problems that have
arisen since turning that country up-side-down.

But we all know that we're after their oil. (again)

Pretty soon, the demand will be coming from the Middle East
and the economy will deflate in the HOuston area. :*(

But I'm wishing the best for u guys.
All I can do is laugh. You truly do not understand the nature of Houston's economy. The oil companies have put a lot of money into alternative energy research and projects over the years. Additionally, just looking at Houston's largest companies many don't deal in oil at all. For example, Spectra Energy (Fortune 500) makes almost all of its money in natural gas.

From a life-cycle perspective, electric cars are not more environmentally friendly in places with high proportion of coal-fired power plants (such as Texas) they're not even close to cheaper for the consumer as of yet. They are a long way from being universally accepted enough to really concern the oil companies. Plus, those companies are diversifying their business worldwide and relying less and less each year on U.S. based fuel demand. Our fuel demand is essentially flat, but the demand from the rest of the world is growing substantially. The U.S.-based multinationals are getting in that game too.

We're not concerned. And when that day does come that most vehicles are alternatively powered, I have no doubt that Houston will be a prominent player in that game as well.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:19 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,591,710 times
something tells me TheDarkSide is just trying to ruffle our feathers.. theres no way he actually believes the things he is saying. like others have said, these companies (some of the largest in the world) arent going to sit around idly while other technologies come and replace the need for oil and gas. they have hundreds of billions of dollars they will reinvest in other alternative resources (they ALREADY ARE). i assure you these massive O&G companies will be at the forefront of the alternative energy sector.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:50 PM

328 posts, read 474,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
something tells me TheDarkSide is just trying to ruffle our feathers.. theres no way he actually believes the things he is saying. like others have said, these companies (some of the largest in the world) arent going to sit around idly while other technologies come and replace the need for oil and gas. they have hundreds of billions of dollars they will reinvest in other alternative resources (they ALREADY ARE). i assure you these massive O&G companies will be at the forefront of the alternative energy sector.
I agree with you that some folks around here seem to exist simply to get the feathers flying. On the other hand, some of your blanket statements (above) beg to be backed up with links. Here are some to my points:

Who Killed the Electric Car? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Who killed the electric car? "The film explores the roles of automobile manufacturers, the oil industry, the US government, the California government, batteries, hydrogen vehicles, and consumers in limiting the development and adoption of this technology."

Here's a link from Forbes. Many of you guys like Forbes, because of their many favorable "listicles." Also, Forbes is not exactly Mother Jones.
Alternative Energy And Big Oil: Poor Returns Versus `Lies' - Forbes

"[T]he energy companies with the deepest pockets are paring their [alternative energy] investments and focusing more on fossil fuels."

"[i]nterest in alternative fuels by large oil companies has been paltry relative to their other operations."

As the article states, O&G companies are not being nefarious; they're just more interested in profits. That's understandable. The day will probably come when they wholeheartedly join the alternative energy party--kicking and screaming--or when big profits can be made. Read the whole article.

Last edited by casimpso; 06-16-2014 at 01:03 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 01:14 PM

725 posts, read 1,247,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
I agree with you that some folks around here seem to exist simply to get the feathers flying. On the other hand, some of your blanket statements (above) beg to be backed up with links. Here are some to my points:

Who killed the electric car? "The film explores the roles of automobile manufacturers, the oil industry, the US government, the California government, batteries, hydrogen vehicles, and consumers in limiting the development and adoption of this technology."

Here's a link from Forbes. Many of you guys like Forbes, because of their many favorable "listicles." Also, Forbes is not exactly Mother Jones.

"[T]he energy companies with the deepest pockets are paring their [alternative energy] investments and focusing more on fossil fuels."

"[i]nterest in alternative fuels by large oil companies has been paltry relative to their other operations."

As the article states, O&G companies are not being nefarious; they're just more interested in profits. That's understandable. The day will probably come when they wholeheartedly join the alternative energy party--kicking and screaming--or when big profits can be made. Read the whole article.
Great article. And I agree 100%. At some point, alternative energy tech will be a bigger moneymaker than oil. The oil companies will be prepared for that day. They didn't make billions of dollars by having their heads underground with respect to new opportunities. They'll be on it when the time comes.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:18 PM

6,303 posts, read 7,574,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post

New Signs Going Up Transform Reliant into NRG Stadium

By: Laurie Johnson, June 16th, 2014 02:47 PM

The rebranding of the stadium was announced several weeks ago, but is just now going into physical effect with large new signs on the north and south sides of the stadium. NRG is the parent company of Reliant. NRG Spokesperson Pat Hammond says these are the marquee signs that people can see from the freeway and that show up on television sports broadcasts.
"Having our name on the stadium and all of the facilities out at NRG Park is really important to us. NRG, over the last year, has really begun developing a national consumer brand for itself," Hammond said. "Having the NRG brand name on NFL facilities is one of the ways that we are able to communicate with the public about the sustainability products and solutions that NRG is bringing to market for consumers."
To showcase some of those products, the energy provider is also making a commitment to make NRG Park more sustainable and energy-efficient.
"NRG Stadium will be the first professional football stadium in the country to have energy-efficient LED lighting on the sports field. And it's much more energy-efficient than traditional lights in a sporting facility," Hammond said.
Hammond says the LED field lights turn on instantly, instead of needing 15 to 20 minutes to warm up like traditional stadium lighting. In other words, there won't be any Super Bowl blackouts at NRG Stadium. The company is also installing solar panels around the complex and putting in electric vehicle charging stations.

New Signs Going Up Transform Reliant into NRG Stadium - 06-16-2014 : Houston Public Media, Public... Houston Public Media | Public Radio and Television | University of Houston

This is happening in Houston of course....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas