Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 02:20 PM

725 posts, read 1,242,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Both cities would work . But there's a reason most companies choose Dallas as an entry into Texas. Dallas is known for being a Can-do city. Its the reason for our existence they say. .....Starting a business in Dallas is a no- brainer.
Dallas may be known as such, but Houston is the real can-do city. The proof is in the pudding. It's larger, wealthier, and more prosperous. Not everyone can make it there and the people that do are the real doers in the state.

Most companies only choose Dallas (in reality, Dallas suburbs tend to get a big bulk of new entrants before the actual city, but I digress) as the entry point due to logistics and as Nairobi said, DFW as a whole is a slightly bigger market overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adham View Post
for a fresh business graduates (bachelor) with two years of years of sales/management experience prior to graduation ??
If you do say Houston, explain why ? same for Dallas.
I'd say Houston - because of the data. As I said before more money, higher economic growth, etc.

The folks at biz journals certainly agree.

Small Business Rankings 2014 - The Business Journals

Old 04-17-2014, 02:42 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,572,181 times
ahhh, so much good news in this new development map! the Camden residential buildings went from 8 story midrises to 21 story towers, the residential tower next to Hess garage increased in height to 39 stories, Hilton Garden Inn is back on the board, Hilcorp grew a floor, and International Tower isnt dead!
im not sure why it still shows the old info for the smaller version of the 609 Main tower.

(is it ok to attach "images" of webpages?)

a TON of money is being spent in downtown over the next few years to fast forward projects and prep for the Superbowl.

"Ric Campo, CEO of Houston-based Camden Properties and chairman of the Houston Super Bowl bid committee that successfully lobbied the NFL for the big game, said over the next three years developers and the city plan to invest $3.5 billion in downtown. By contrast, he said, the business community and city have invested a total of $5 billion there over the last 14 years." - The Chron
Super Bowl driving major projects - Houston Chronicle

and that is only the projects they know of so far.. the wildly successful Downtown Residential Incentives Program was just unanimously voted to be increased from 2,500 units to 5,000 residential units. offering up to 75 million in incentives, and tripling the downtown residential population in a matter of years.. many more residential projects are sure to be in the pipeline to take advantage of those incentives (there is room for another 1500-2000 units before the 5,000 unit cap is maxed out)
City council members push to expand Houston's downtown district | News - Home

Old 04-17-2014, 02:44 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,977,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
ahhh, so much good news in this new development map! the Camden residential buildings went from 8 story midrises to 21 story towers, the residential tower next to Hess garage increased in height to 39 stories, Hilton Garden Inn is back on the board, Hilcorp grew a floor, and International Tower isnt dead!
im not sure why it still shows the old info for the smaller version of the 609 Main tower.

(is it ok to attach "images" of webpages?)

a TON of money is being spent in downtown over the next few years to fast forward projects and prep for the Superbowl.

"Ric Campo, CEO of Houston-based Camden Properties and chairman of the Houston Super Bowl bid committee that successfully lobbied the NFL for the big game, said over the next three years developers and the city plan to invest $3.5 billion in downtown. By contrast, he said, the business community and city have invested a total of $5 billion there over the last 14 years." - The Chron
Super Bowl driving major projects - Houston Chronicle

and that is only the projects they know of so far.. the wildly successful Downtown Residential Incentives Program was just unanimously voted to be increased from 2,500 units to 5,000 residential units. offering up to 75 million in incentives, and tripling the downtown residential population, so many more projects are sure to be in the pipeline.
City council members push to expand Houston's downtown district | News - Home
Now this is a good topic....

Old 04-17-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Now this is a good topic....
Thanks. I was going to make a post in the Towers of Texas thread, but I fugured I'd get back to the basics in this thread and what's actually important (the Super Bowl.. Duh). Dallas obviously kills Houston in the downtown residential market but with this new incentives program downtown Houston has been on fire, dare I say rivaling the development of uptown Dallas over the last decade..?

Old 04-17-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
i agree with the first part, Dallas is a great city too that definitely takes the cake in a few categories..
but this thread should never end. the "rivalry" will always exist.
You gotta point

Old 04-17-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I was going to make a post in the Towers of Texas thread, but I fugured I'd get back to the basics in this thread and what's actually important (the Super Bowl.. Duh). Dallas obviously kills Houston in the downtown residential market but with this new incentives program downtown Houston has been on fire, dare I say rivaling the development of uptown Dallas over the last decade..?
That's great news! When people are added, vibrancy usually comes right after. Way to go Houston!

The residential conversion/construction is booming in the core of Dallas aswell. Over 17,000 units are being constructed in the core, things are gonna look significantly different 5 years from now. I wouldn't be surprised to hear about a full service grocery store opening in Downtown Dallas soon.

Elm Place, Statler-Hilton, 1600 Pacific, etc. are about to start which include added retail, residential and office space. Victory Park is currently being transformed with new retail, office, and residential buildings. Uptown is booming so much that's hard to keep up with the development.

Things are really looking up for both Houston and Dallas....very exciting times for both cities.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:03 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,467,849 times
Quote:
That's great news! When people are added, vibrancy usually comes right after. Way to go Houston!

The residential conversion/construction is booming in the core of Dallas aswell. Over 17,000 units are being constructed in the core, things are gonna look significantly different 5 years from now. I wouldn't be surprised to hear about a full service grocery store opening in Downtown Dallas soon.

Elm Place, Statler-Hilton, 1600 Pacific, etc. are about to start which include added retail, residential and office space. Victory Park is currently being transformed with new retail, office, and residential buildings. Uptown is booming so much that's hard to keep up with the development.

Things are really looking up for both Houston and Dallas....very exciting times for both cities.
Victory Park will become a larger version of "West Village".

Old 04-17-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Victory Park will become a larger version of "West Village".
I totally agree.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:06 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,974,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Also, Houston invented the microchip, ATM, first drive-up bank, frozen Margarita, first planned shopping center, the phrase "Super Bowl", the convenience store, the car radio, possibly the first electric traffic light, and everyone's favorite purple dinosaur.

Oh, waaaaait.....
Now that was the dfw area. Houston invented other things like silicone breasts and the first open heart surgery, among others. Nice list though.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:

yep. and the retail initiative is supposed to kick in soon, so hopefully a downtown retail district follows the influx of residents.

thats INSANE. i dont know what "in the core" consist of, but thats almost as many apartments were being built in all of Houston last year (cant find an updated figure). a full service grocery store downtown would be awesome for Dallas. we are dreaming of that in Houston too, but Phonecia is nice.

Elm Place should be an awesome project. i really wish Shorestein would do something similar with 800 Bell (ExxonMobil building) and keep it in its current mid century modern design, turning the fin/sun shades into balconies for a residential tower, instead of putting that new glass curtain wall over the outside for the planned updated office building. we dont need any more office space in downtown right now.. weve got 609 Main, 6 Houston Center, Capital Tower, Hilcorp Tower (1111 Travis?, though i guess that one is already claimed, like the new Chevron tower, so it wont effect office space), all in the works, and possibly One Market Square (formerly International Tower) and 5 Allen Center. i just dont understand why Shorestein feels like downtown needs another 1+ million sq ft of office space, especially when the city is handing out money for residential projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas