Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 10:41 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Again...
Why are we comparing The Woodlands to Las Colinas so much? Yes, Las Colinas is probably the closest thing in DFW to it, but DFW has many areas that are planned with mixed uses. It seems like The Woodlands' office development is growing more like what is being seen in Frisco/Plano and The Telecom Corridor rather than Las Colinas these days. Residential is what is mostly being built in Las Colinas these days as office development has moved to other areas. The Las Colinas office market is starting to become popular again though, so who knows that the future holds for it. The freeway connectivity and rail expansion are also some positives for that area. With the growth going on in The Woodlands and the limited infrastructure there, I actually feel sorry for the people in that area as I'm sure the roads are a nightmare.
congrats.. you just contributed to the Las Colinas/The Woodlands comparison you were just asking why we were still comparing. heh.

as for limited infrastructure in The Woodlands, no they dont have any fancy train, but have you ever heard of the Hardy Toll Road? or the Grand Parkway (coming through just south of Exxons campus)? yes traffic on 45 sucks, and hopefully they eventually realize they need to do something else besides just more expansion of highways, and decide to run commuter rail up to The Woodlands. but until then there are plenty of options (including new HOT lanes down 45 i believe)

Old 02-15-2014, 10:43 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
With the growth going on in The Woodlands and the limited infrastructure there, I actually feel sorry for the people in that area as I'm sure the roads are a nightmare.
The trees make up for it.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:31 PM

i found this interesting tidbit while searching for a new Houston development..

Houston vs. Dallas

heres a few quotes i liked..

If Dallas were a person, he'd drive a silver hummer-with a body lift-and double-park in handicapped spaces

Houston has the first and second tallest buildings in the state. Dallas is number three, a ranking they’re getting used to.

The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston has a billion-dollar endowment, making it one of the country’s wealthiest cultural institutions. Dallas just has a bunch of billionaires.
Even so, we’re home to four of the 10 wealthiest enclaves in Texas: Piney Point Village, West University Place, Bunker Hill Village, and Hunter’s Creek Village. Dallas has Highland Park and … Highland Park.

In fact, we’re one of only five U.S. cities with professional resident companies in opera, classical music, ballet, and theater. No, the Dallas Cowboys do not count as theater.

Sam Houston could totally beat up whomever Dallas is named after. Or at least drink him under the table.

Houston didn’t spend $180 million on a beautiful but useless Bridge to Nowhere—and we certainly aren’t about to build two more.

After just 10 months on the job, Dallas Observer food critic Hanna Raskin promptly quit. Her explanation? The city was a “dining nowhereville.”

The only place you’ll see multiple races/ ethnicities hanging out together in Dallas: the DMV.

When you tell people outside of Texas that you’re from Houston, they think of NASA. When you tell people outside of Texas that you’re from Dallas, they think of a crappy 1980s TV soap opera.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:45 PM

121 posts, read 145,025 times
Default Exactly

Quote:
Again...
Why are we comparing The Woodlands to Las Colinas so much? Yes, Las Colinas is probably the closest thing in DFW to it, but DFW has many areas that are planned with mixed uses. It seems like The Woodlands' office development is growing more like what is being seen in Frisco/Plano and The Telecom Corridor rather than Las Colinas these days. Residential is what is mostly being built in Las Colinas these days as office development has moved to other areas. The Las Colinas office market is starting to become popular again though, so who knows that the future holds for it. The freeway connectivity and rail expansion are also some positives for that area. With the growth going on in The Woodlands and the limited infrastructure there, I actually feel sorry for the people in that area as I'm sure the roads are a nightmare.
I was thinking the same. The amount of employment, the new office space being built, the surrounding mansions going up, and being way out there on the edge. All but the retail. The amount of it going up right now in Plano / Frisco is unbelievable considering the amount already built. .

As far as vertical construction in Las Colinas, it can only go so far because of a nearby runway of the airport. The freeway system around it is quit extensive and almost rebuilt. Las Colinas is halfway between the two airports of both DFW and Love Field. Two rail systems are within the urban center.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:03 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
i found this interesting tidbit while searching for a new Houston development..

Houston vs. Dallas

heres a few quotes i liked..

If Dallas were a person, he'd drive a silver hummer-with a body lift-and double-park in handicapped spaces

Houston has the first and second tallest buildings in the state. Dallas is number three, a ranking they’re getting used to.

The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston has a billion-dollar endowment, making it one of the country’s wealthiest cultural institutions. Dallas just has a bunch of billionaires.
Even so, we’re home to four of the 10 wealthiest enclaves in Texas: Piney Point Village, West University Place, Bunker Hill Village, and Hunter’s Creek Village. Dallas has Highland Park and … Highland Park.

In fact, we’re one of only five U.S. cities with professional resident companies in opera, classical music, ballet, and theater. No, the Dallas Cowboys do not count as theater.

Sam Houston could totally beat up whomever Dallas is named after. Or at least drink him under the table.

Houston didn’t spend $180 million on a beautiful but useless Bridge to Nowhere—and we certainly aren’t about to build two more.

After just 10 months on the job, Dallas Observer food critic Hanna Raskin promptly quit. Her explanation? The city was a “dining nowhereville.”

The only place you’ll see multiple races/ ethnicities hanging out together in Dallas: the DMV.

When you tell people outside of Texas that you’re from Houston, they think of NASA. When you tell people outside of Texas that you’re from Dallas, they think of a crappy 1980s TV soap opera.
That just shows that people in Houston don't have a life. Like seriously, who would makes a website about Houston v Dallas?!?

Last edited by Dallaz; 02-15-2014 at 03:12 PM..

Old 02-15-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi the baby deer View Post
I was thinking the same. The amount of employment, the new office space being built, the surrounding mansions going up, and being way out there on the edge. All but the retail. The amount of it going up right now in Plano / Frisco is unbelievable considering the amount already built. .

As far as vertical construction in Las Colinas, it can only go so far because of a nearby runway of the airport. The freeway system around it is quit extensive and almost rebuilt. Las Colinas is halfway between the two airports of both DFW and Love Field. Two rail systems are within the urban center.
Not sure what you were talking about in the first paragraph.. Las Colinas or Plano/Frisco?
True about vertical construction though.. Las Colinas is a couple miles closer to the airport that The Woodlands. But considering how far out The Woodlands is from the core of the metro, it's amazing how convenient of a location it is. The Woodlands is halfway between Bush intercontinental and Conroes airport which is expanding for 737s, and not far from another to the west. And it's just north of the crossroads of 3 major highways.. (45/grand parkway/hardy toll road). The Woodlands is campaigning to get a stop on the high speed rail line between Dallas and Houston (assuming it goes down 45/hardy). That would be huge.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
That just shows that people in Houston don't have a life. Like seriously, who would make a website about Houston v Dallas?!?
Lol, because one Houston magazine/website wrote an article (probably on a slow news day or something) means that "people in Houston don't have a life"?

Ohhhhh.. I see the irony/sarcasm.. Lmao

Old 02-15-2014, 03:19 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
That just shows that people in Houston don't have a life. Like seriously, who would make a website about Houston v Dallas?!?
Exactly, the link in the article is from a Houston-based website. I'm glad TT posted the link, it certainly dispels the misperception that Houstonians never think about Dallas.

I challenge anyone to find a similar Dallas-based site that caters to Houston bashing.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:28 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
Quote:
Lol, because one Houston magazine/website wrote an article (probably on a slow news day or something) means that "people in Houston don't have a life"?

Ohhhhh.. I see the irony/sarcasm.. Lmao
Y'all really don't have a life (I'm not being sarcasitc). People that I know don't even speak about Houston...it's like Houstonians are obsessed with Dallas.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:04 PM

121 posts, read 145,025 times
Quote:
dont worry buddy.. i got plenty of good laughs out of turning that first ridiculous post around against you. bet you didnt expect that backfire.
but what the heck were you doing on city-data around a group of friends? seems pretty lame to me..

and again.. where are your facts?? according to this website, the workforce of ALL OF IRVING was around 105,000 people. https://www.city-data.com/work/work-Irving-Texas.html (it may take you a little bit of math, but is that a coincidence?). now how is that possible when Las Colinas is just a small part of Irving?

here is some other info about Las Colinas i found..

1,300,000 square feet (121,000 m2) of retail, and 3,400 single-family homes.

The Woodlands has more retail square footage then that in just the mall, and one of the nine villages alone (the only one i could find a figure for number of houses) has 2,000 more homes than all of Las Colinas.

http://www.thewoodlands-commercial.c...y%20Square.pdf

FACTS: More than 105,283 people live in The Woodlands’ nine residential villages. The Woodlands is home to more than 1,870 businesses that employ more than 51,940 people. Since 1990, it has been one of the best-selling master-planned communities in the U.S.
BUSINESS:
• 19.2 million square feet of office, research, institutional and industrial space
• 9.4 million square feet of retail, including The Woodlands Mall, a four-anchor regional mall & Market Street, a 34-acre Main Street-style shopping and event venue

congrats at having more office sq footage, and more hotels.. that doesnt make LC any better than TW though.. Las Colinas was designed more as a fancy office park rather than a laid back residential community.

and who said the tallest building in Las Colinas was a hotel? did you get that from your "facts"? because Williams Square Central (not the Omni) is the tallest building in Las Colinas by over 30 feet. which is still almost 100 feet shorter than the tallest buildings in The Woodlands.
Indeed, the Las Colinas area is a bit in trouble. It lost Texas stadium and now the Dallas Cowboys. Now the Byron Nelson is about to move to the south of downtown Dallas. And, of course, there is always the threat of ExxonMobil moving to Houston. They plan on replacing the Dallas Cowboys with a convention center, an entertainment center, and a convention center hotel. Jerry Jones down in Arlington has fought the city of Irving tooth and nail over this. They will be able to replace ExxonMobil with new residential and, finally, the building of some retail.

Las Colinas was the first TOD in North Texas built with its own transit system. Two of the lakes and most of the canals it has constructed within the original master plan have development fully having been fully built out. Just look at a map. I think this last factor will help more than offset the loss of the Byron Nelson.

Indeed, I forgot about Williams Square.

It would be hard to beat 9.4 million square feet of retail. That is the real impressive aspect about the Woodlands area. That is why it compares more favorably with Frisco / Plano than with Las Colinas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas