Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 09:44 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I have some good friends in Phoenix that visit Dallas often because they say that Phoenix doesn't really offer a "city" feel like you have in Dallas. I think the suburbs are a lot more comparable though. The core of each city is where things get a lot different.
It seems as though most of the DFW and Phoenix metropolitan areas are quite nice and rather desirable. IMO, I think that's what separates Dallas and Phoenix from other major Sun Belt cities such as Miami, Orlando, Houston, San Antonio, and Tampa and makes them more akin to California cities. It seems as though the vast majority of FL & South TX cities and their associated metropolitan areas leave much to be desired. I think that's what separates Dallas and Phoenix; as well Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh; from FL and South TX cities where the riffraff always seems right around the corner.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:10 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
It seems as though most of the DFW and Phoenix metropolitan areas are quite nice and rather desirable. IMO, I think that's what separates Dallas and Phoenix from other major Sun Belt cities such as Miami, Orlando, Houston, San Antonio, and Tampa and makes them more akin to California cities. It seems as though the vast majority of FL & South TX cities and their associated metropolitan areas leave much to be desired. I think that's what separates Dallas and Phoenix; as well Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh; from FL and South TX cities where the riffraff always seems right around the corner.
What riffraff are you speaking of ?

Old 04-18-2013, 12:26 AM

490 posts, read 1,097,986 times
So, DFW is susceptible to earthquakes... Great.

Curveball.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:31 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
This post sounds like riffraff.

All in all, yes, Dallas is the sharper of the two, but keep in mind that Dallas is 1/2 the size of Houston and their downtown is also about 1/2 the area. So there is going to be less work to infill the immediate areas around downtown. But Dallas has its grimy areas too, they're just tucked away alot better. Dallas did this by trenching freeways and focusing their newer developments in one general area and one continuous path.

Houston is more developed as a whole than Dallas, so you're going to find a mix of old with the new. And yes, it's not uncommon to find a nice area next to a ghetto area. Houston is trying to cover theirs up with nature;planting trees along the freeway. This method may be great in the long run, but it doesn't really cover up the grime to me. But if you want to see a nice area in Houston that's pretty consistent, try the Katy Freeway/Energy cooridor. It's new and nice out that way for miles.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:13 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Lol, you said Phoenix was more desirable than those other cities.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 AM

231 posts, read 327,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Lol, you said Phoenix was more desirable than those other cities.
I visited Phoenix once. And all I can say is they have the CLEANEST downtown area. Not in terms of crime, I mean the streets. Not one drop of trash, weed, not even oil on the streets. I was quite taken back.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:55 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
This post sounds like riffraff.

All in all, yes, Dallas is the sharper of the two, but keep in mind that Dallas is 1/2 the size of Houston and their downtown is also about 1/2 the area. So there is going to be less work to infill the immediate areas around downtown. But Dallas has its grimy areas too, they're just tucked away alot better. Dallas did this by trenching freeways and focusing their newer developments in one general area and one continuous path.

Houston is more developed as a whole than Dallas, so you're going to find a mix of old with the new. And yes, it's not uncommon to find a nice area next to a ghetto area. Houston is trying to cover theirs up with nature;planting trees along the freeway. This method may be great in the long run, but it doesn't really cover up the grime to me. But if you want to see a nice area in Houston that's pretty consistent, try the Katy Freeway/Energy cooridor. It's new and nice out that way for miles.
I think he's comparing the Dallas and Phoenix areas not the city limits which is an insignificant factor in the sunbelt anyway.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I think he's comparing the Dallas and Phoenix areas not the city limits which is an insignificant factor in the sunbelt anyway.
Are you his spokesman

Old 04-18-2013, 06:12 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Are you his spokesman
No but he and I were having a conversation here about the suburban areas of Dallas and Phoenix and then a Houston poster comes back saying that Dallas and it's downtown are 1/2 the size of Houston. So looking at the overall conversation I came to the conclusion that the Houston responder did not fully understand the direction the conversation was taking and I offered clarity.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
No but he and I were having a conversation here about the suburban areas of Dallas and Phoenix and then a Houston poster comes back saying that Dallas and it's downtown are 1/2 the size of Houston. So looking at the overall conversation I came to the conclusion that the Houston responder did not fully understand the direction the conversation was taking and I offered clarity.
OK, Please clairify his comments in post # 7933 about earthquakes in Dallas ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas