Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 04:10 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,504,279 times

Advertisements

You know I have posted on a few other threads in this forum and it seems all debate on city-data ends up as some kind of comparison between Houston vs Dallas. So I have decided that the Houston vs Dallas thread is the only real legitimate thread on here.

Why fight the truth !

Old 02-17-2013, 03:09 PM

Exclamation Why fight the truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
You know I have posted on a few other threads in this forum and it seems all debate on city-data ends up as some kind of comparison between Houston vs Dallas. So I have decided that the Houston vs Dallas thread is the only real legitimate thread on here.

Why fight the truth !

Answering may own post may seem arrogant, but I have some observations to make. Have you noticed that the same posters tend to hijack these new threads and turn them into another Houston vs Dallas thread. I think some of them like the fact that these new threads are not as visited so that fewer people will read what inane and or insane arguments they are making not to mention fewer people will read that they are getting their asses kicked again in another debate.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:10 AM

Thumbs up American Cities with the Highest (and Lowest) Taxes

3. Houston, Tex.

Taxes for family earning $25,000: $2,709 (14th lowest)

Taxes for family earning $150,000: $6,571 (6th lowest)

Unemployment rate: 6.1% (17th lowest)
Houston is one of just eight cities in which a family of three earning $150,000 a year paid less than 5% of its annual income in taxes in 2011. One major reason is the absence of any state income or local income tax, which cost a similar family an average of $6,835 in the cities where income taxes are levied. However, residents did pay one of the nation's highest sales taxes, at 8.25%. This cost a family earning $150,000 in Houston almost $2,500 in sales taxes — higher than in two-thirds of cities surveyed. Additionally, the city had one of the nation's highest property tax rates, at $2.53 per $100 of assessed property value.

A mixed bag for sure, but no other Texas cities are listed.

American Cities with the Highest (and Lowest) Taxes - Yahoo! Finance

Old 03-02-2013, 06:28 PM

Thumbs up Houston tops list

More Information

Houston metro growth

The government Friday released inflation-adjusted gross domestic product figures, broken down by region, for 2011. How the nation's 10 biggest metro areas did, compared to the previous year.

No. 1: Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, had the fastest-growing GDP, up 3.7 percent from 2010.
No. 2: Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, up 3.1 percent.
No. 3: San Francisco- Oakland-Fremont, up
2.6 percent.
No. 4: Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, up 2.4 percent
No. 5: Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, up 2.2 percent
No. 6: Los Angeles- Long Beach-Santa Ana,
up 1.7 percent
No. 7: Chicago-Joliet- Naperville, up 1.4 percent
No. 8: Washington, D.C.-Arlington-Alexandria, Va., up 1.1 percent
No. 9: Philadelphia- Camden, N.J.-Wilmington, Del., up 1 percent
No. 10: New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, up 0.8 percent

Source: Bureau of Economic Analysis

Houston tops list for fastest growth - Houston Chronicle

Old 03-02-2013, 07:40 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Ok we get it. Houston is the best city in Texas.

DFW now needs to duke it out with central Texas for second best

Old 03-03-2013, 09:37 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,566,370 times
agreed, Dallas vs San Antonio (or any of the other large Texas cities that are a little closer to Dallas' size) would be a better comparison than Dallas vs Houston. I think people forget San Antonio is bigger than Dallas.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:21 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,455,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
agreed, Dallas vs San Antonio (or any of the other large Texas cities that are a little closer to Dallas' size) would be a better comparison than Dallas vs Houston. I think people forget San Antonio is bigger than Dallas.
hmm...I wonder why.........Well...so much for the Dallas vs SanAntonio idea.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times
Quote:
No, they wouldn't. Houston is Dallas' only peer in the state.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:58 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,273,450 times
Quote:
I've said this a million times. There are quite a several key cities in Texas, but this battle has been and always will be between Dallas and Houston. They are the two head honchos of the state.

San Antonio doesn't even have the big city feel like Dallas: Not as many buildings, only one sports team, not as big of an economy, poor mass transportation options, and lastly not even as big a metro area. People don't zip in and out of the city everyday like they do in Dallas. You have do more to be a big city other than have some silly city population count.

And I'm not biased, for the same reasons is why I don't even bother discussion when people talk about Houston overtaking Chicago as the third largest city. It has a loongg way before it even gets on Chicago's level.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:45 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:
Thats the ticket. Show those Dallas folk where they actually belong.

They can't even compete with arlington to keep their football team. Wow, what a looser
All they got left is a basketball team and a hockey team. Who watches hockey anyway? This is Texas not Canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas