Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2007, 03:12 AM

3 posts, read 24,190 times

Advertisements

Right now my husband and I are in Colorado. He did IT for Lucent and was laid off last Christmas. He now has a crappy job here at a 40% pay cut from the last one. Any ideas on what IT guys make in TX?

I have read that property taxes are high there. ARE THERE ANY CITIES/COUNTIES THAT HAVE A LOWER TAXATION ON PROPERTIES, AND IF SO WHICH ONES ARE THEY?

I have read some of the posts and we have to pay quite a bit in taxes here, there is a state tax, as well as a county as well as a city tax that is taken out of your paycheck. I think last year my husband and I paid around 7 or 8 grand for these. We do not own here as property values are going down, we have the highest rate of foreclosures in the nation, on top of property taxes (they are reasonable though) The latest gimmick here is the interest only mortgages and the 50 year mortgages. $300K buys a modest house here.

We do not have a tax on food here (Fast food is the exception) IS THERE A TAX ON FOOD IN TEXAS?

Someone that I work with also said that after 65 you do not have to pay property taxes and that you get some sort of refund for paying them for all the years you owned the place? This really doesn't sound right to me, Can anybody PLEASE explain if there is any credit at all, or if there is someone out there that is over 65 what kind of break did you get after turning 65?

What are utility bills like there? With the cold streak here on a 1000sq ft apartment, the utilities have been reasonable at $150 a month (not including water)

Any info you all can give me is GREATLY appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 04:28 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,672,056 times
Default Texas Property Taxes and Utilities

For IT jobs, your best bets would be Austin, Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio. The first three cities probably pay a little more.

No State Income Tax in Texas, so income is not a concern. The counties and cities get their revenue through property taxes and sales taxes.

Property taxes average around 3% of assessed home value. When you reach 65, your home value is frozen (mostly for school tax assessments which is about 75% of the total tax). There are no property tax refunds when you turn 65.

No sales tax on food, except at restaurants, etc. where the food is prepared for you.

Utility bills can be high in some of the cities (Dallas and Houston) due to deregulation. San Antonio has the lowest rate of big cities in Texas. There are many posts on this subject, so try using the search feature in the menu above.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:54 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,960,086 times
Property taxes will vary but generally average 2.5 - 3.5% on appraised value annually. Relatively large exemptions are offered to those over 65 bring the rates down from astronomical to closer to the national norm, but taxes are still assessed.

Sales tax is high but most food and medicine is exempt.

Utilities are very high on average. There are some cities and co-ops that do a good job of holding electricity rates but on average there are 37 states that have lower rates, some much lower. Water has always been at a premium in Texas and sewers are expensive everywhere, so do expect cheap water services.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:56 AM

182 posts, read 708,151 times
Here in El Paso, electric rates are outrageous.

YEARS ago, the El Paso Electric Company told us that by buying into (or something like that) the Palo Verde Nuclear Reactor Generating Station in AZ, it would reduce electric utility rates for their customers.

BS....they continue to rip their us off...there should be a law against it.

Looking forward to moving to NM (for more reasons than high electric rates),

-- John D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: