Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 09:57 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,240,941 times

Advertisements

If the folks don't have a frown in Happy, it's just because they don't know any better. It has become a sad, worn-out little place within the past few years. A tornado did quite a lot of damage there, mostly to trailer houses, about 2002 but it didn't change the town much. Canyon and Amarillo are nothing like Happy, though....modern and busy places (in fact, it's almost all one town now). As for Lake Meredith up by Borger.....it's almost empty right now. It hasn't rained in that area in quite a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 06:41 AM

958 posts, read 2,134,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
If the folks don't have a frown in Happy, it's just because they don't know any better. It has become a sad, worn-out little place within the past few years. A tornado did quite a lot of damage there, mostly to trailer houses, about 2002 but it didn't change the town much.
Please tell me your not trying to imply that we citizens of Happy a not too ignorant to know when to be joyous and when not to be.
FYI there are those of us who take pride in our little "worn-out little place." Some have go about town and mow areas the city doesn't and the city mows quite a bit they shouldn't. When that tornado hit two people died, THAT was sad. Swisher county had to close off the town to all but those who lived here because of looters THAT was sad.

We that lived here pulled together and helped one another like the strong community that we are even if we didn't know who we were helping we pitched in any way.

You have to get a closer look at the Town Without a Frown before you decide to pass judgment, we're still a lively band of people with a strong sense of community and civic pride.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:04 AM

25 posts, read 57,378 times
As someone who has never experienced a tornado, I am sorry that Happy, Texas was struck by this tragedy. I will not pass judgement, period, but do hope someday to meet the townfolks of this "happy" town and smile back when I have this priviledge. It sure beats being named "Pissed Off".

I currently live near Philadelphia, and despite the many summer activities that go on I hesitate to take the 7 mile drive into Philly as it has unfortunately become known as "Killa-delphia" due to the murder rate.

On a happier note, I garnered this image of the recent fireworks from Canyon, Texas, on the fourth of July that was posted to a "Weather Photographer" blog titled "Panhandle Skies"

here is the link:

Panhandle Skies

Old 07-11-2008, 01:01 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,283,740 times
Some people like old-fashioned little rural towns and will trade that any day for the modern city life. No thank you.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:06 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,148,969 times
I grew up in Pampa, moved away for eight years, and moved back as an adult. The weather in the Panhandle is great most of the time (except for the wind)--cooler nights than the rest of Texas--cooler days--much lower humidity. Problems--The wind blows almost every day. (Those prevailing southerly winds are why the trees all point north.) While there are not many dust storms or blizzards, when they come, they can be horrible. The torndados that hit in the Panhandle can also be extreme--few in number, but it just takes one.

Check the blizzards, tornados and dust storms in the Panhandle on the internet before you make an absolute decisiont. I will tell you that you will not find sturdier, stronger, or better people than live in the Panhandle. The Pampa tornado of 1995 is a good one to view. It is all over the net. Fortunately, no one was killed in it, but it was because it moved slowly, and people were warned in time. I was there in 1968 or 1969 when a tornado started north of Plainview and went through Clarendon and Pampa. It happend at 2:30 or 3:00 in the morning, and we had almost no warning. The fire department set off sirens, and I woke up just as the think hit the city. We were fortunate in that our neighborhood was mostly spared--just some heave wind damage, no destruction. Nearly 40 people were killed, as I remember, either 36 or 39. We have tornados around Abilene, but they are not F-5's like the 1995 tornado in Pampa. Anyway, be warned and knowledgeable before you move there. When you research them, also look at the Lubbock tornado in the late 70's.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:08 AM

25 posts, read 57,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
... The weather in the Panhandle is great most of the time (except for the wind)--cooler nights than the rest of Texas--cooler days--much lower humidity. Problems--The wind blows almost every day. (Those prevailing southerly winds are why the trees all point north.) While there are not many dust storms or blizzards, when they come, they can be horrible. The tornadoes that hit in the Panhandle can also be extreme--few in number, but it just takes one.

Check the blizzards, tornadoes and dust storms in the Panhandle on the internet before you make an absolute decision. I will tell you that you will not find sturdier, stronger, or better people than live in the Panhandle. The Pampa tornado of 1995 is a good one to view. It is all over the net. Fortunately, no one was killed in it, but it was because it moved slowly, and people were warned in time. I was there in 1968 or 1969 when a tornado started north of Plainview and went through Clarendon and Pampa. It happend at 2:30 or 3:00 in the morning, and we had almost no warning. The fire department set off sirens, and I woke up just as the thing hit the city. We were fortunate in that our neighborhood was mostly spared--just some heave wind damage, no destruction. Nearly 40 people were killed, as I remember, either 36 or 39. We have tornados around Abilene, but they are not F-5's like the 1995 tornado in Pampa. Anyway, be warned and knowledgeable before you move there. When you research them, also look at the Lubbock tornado in the late 70's.
Thank you James for this objective yet personal assessment. I have not sold my house yet, it's almost a done deal, but I won't visit Pampa and surrounding areas until I do. I hope to get to Texas during some of your typical heat as that will be a deciding factor too. And per my real estate agent houses in Pampa for sale are not as plentiful as they once were so that will be a determining factor.

One statement you made which really is quite in synch with my impression of the folks in the panhandle ... " I will tell you that you will not find sturdier, stronger, or better people than live in the Panhandle." their respect for mother nature is far greater than most folks up here in Philly ...

Old 08-16-2010, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,646 times
Smile new to amarillo

I plan on moving on Sept 5th can someone recomend a area for apartments I am paying 650.00 now and that hurts my pocket i may be working at the prison so I would like the closest in a nice area not where tornados are known to hit also does sprint work in this area for phone service any recomendations foe eating i like buffets i am coming from san antonio

Old 01-26-2016, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 753 times
Question Move to Canyon, TX

Hello Cali72. I was wondering if you ever made the move to the Canyon, TX area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas