Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:23 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
According to my source, no dust storm "events" have ever been recorded in that particular county. It's true though. From what I've heard, there seems to be a lot of dust in that area. Once in a while, it blows all the way down to Central Texas, and that isn't pleasant. 23 snow and ice events have been recorded, but that's only been in the last 10 years, so I guess at that rate, they have around 2 a year.
Trying to judge this area of Texas based solely on website "sources" is NOT the best way. This is one area that only firsthand experience can relate it accurately. I've lived up there a bit, traveled thru there extesively and my own mother lived in a teeny map dot of a Panhandle town as a child. The sand storms and snow storms there are for real. While it won't be blanketed in snow during the entire winter they do have many snowfalls and some serious ones. There have been many blizzards thru that part of the state and some pretty bad. One was just in 2007 in which hundreds of people were stuck out on the interstates. The people in that area however are VERY hospitable and went out to make sure everyone was okay, delivered blankets and meals to the stuck motorists.

Try checking it out on Google Earth and see exactly how much dust is in that area. This is flat farmland minus the canyon and the butte's that dot the area. The closest body of water for recreation is Lake Meredith. Just north of Amarillo is the largest source of Helium in the country. This is where just about every bit of helium in this country comes from.

If the OP is w/in the Texas A&M program and wants to be a bit closer to the coast and larger metro areas then A&M down in College Station might be a better option.

To the OP: What exactly are the professions you and your wife are in? That can make a HUGE difference on which area might be best suited for your family for the longterm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 04:23 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Trying to judge this area of Texas based solely on website "sources" is NOT the best way. This is one area that only firsthand experience can relate it accurately. .
I agree, but sometimes as we all know on these forums, one can be in a weather situation and basically deny it or better said, we can have different opinions, likes, et al. Since you lived there, you would know. I haven't lived there and can only go by statistics, but the very best way is a visit, just like the OP is going to do. Well actually, visits don't tell all; one really needs to spend a good amount of time in an area before moving, but that isn't always possible.

I surely didn't deny the dust in the area, but I guess whatever dust they have for some reason didn't make the "event" status. That really does seem weird though.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:22 PM

958 posts, read 2,132,826 times
Yes there is dust. The panhandle is famous for the wind. A calm day the wind can be blowing 15-20 mph. So no matter how tight your house is it will be dusty.
One of the odd things to see is when you're outside the cities are the trees. They are windswept towards the north. Last month was a very windy month with winds gusting from 40 to 50 mph and the wind can get higher.

Here are a few pictures from January 07. I was on my way to Canyon on Hwy 87 coming from the small town of Happy about 8 miles south of Canyon.
The snow didn't get but a few inches deep bit there were some deep drifts. The problem for me that day was by the time I got through with what I needed to do white out conditions set in and had to spend the night in a hotel in Canyon.

The farther north you went in the panhandle the worse it was.

Notice the trees in the first picture. They are leaning to the north and there was not a strong wind that afternoon.

Last edited by turkeytrot; 07-09-2008 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-09-2008, 09:28 PM

Nice photos. I love winter and snow, but I guess I wouldn't like too much snow.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:18 PM

I should point out that I was 8 miles south of Canyon when I took the photos. Happy is 17 miles south of Canyon.
Whew, Now I can sleep tonight.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:42 AM

25 posts, read 57,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Well, if you have never been to "the country" that is what Canyon is. It has a lot of history to it much like where your coming from but more western in nature. It is REALLY small town living for sure. I'd go visit just to make sure your okay with it. If either of you are wanting a bit more "city life" then you might consider living in Amarillo and commuting to school in Canyon. There are some newer subdivisions between Amarillo and Canyon. The terrain is more "barren" than lush. Depending on your jobs your going to find more job opportunities in Amarillo than Canyon. I LOVE AMARILLO myself. It still has that small town feel but most of the conviences of a bigger city... It is a much more down to earth place. Most of the area is still farm and ranching outside of the city. Palo Duro Canyon is an AWESOME place and not to be missed. If I lived close by there I'd be there as often as possible. There are hiking trails, campsites, etc and they put on a play in the outdoor amphitheater called, "Texas". Like I said, tons of history in this area but more western in nature that is very interesting... You're not close to a beach but your very close to the mountains of New Mexico and Colorado. You will find a lot of people in the area go to NM and Colo for vacation in the summer and winters.
Thank you for your excellent appraisal of Canyon, Amarillo, and especially Palo Duro ! I visited Amarillo for 4 days last November and hiked through the Palo Duro Canyons which were AWESOME ! Attached are two photos. I am very seriously considering a move to this area as well. I am aware of the dust and wind but was hoping that spiders would not be a problem. For me to move from near Philadelphia to the Panhandle of Texas would be quite a change. But worth it.

I have spoke to several knowledgeable real estate agents who have lived in this area all of their lives. Tornado Alley, as I've been told is much farther east, say in the vicinity of "Paris, Texas". The winds in the high plains area of Amarillo, Canyon, Lubbock do blow 24/7 according to my agent and it can be a dry and dusty area at times.

You will be within driving range of Mesa Verde National Park in SW Colorado as well home of Anasazi Indian ruin sites, I believe.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:01 AM

714 posts, read 2,932,340 times
I was in Jones County Texas, about 200 miles southeast of Canyon, and I saw a dust storm that lasted most of the day. The sky was brown, you couldn't see 1/4 mile away from you. It was like a brown fog. This was in February, 2004. They said it started in the Post-Lubbock-Amarillo area, and was one of the worse dust storms in decades.

2006 Air Pollution Events - Texas Commission on Environmental Quality - www.tceq.state.tx.us

Old 07-10-2008, 10:55 AM

25 posts, read 57,338 times
Default Palo Duro Vistas and Amarillo Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
I should point out that I was 8 miles south of Canyon when I took the photos. Happy is 17 miles south of Canyon.
Whew, Now I can sleep tonight.
Thank you for your winter photos. I correspond with a good friend from Amarillo who has described the winter blizzard conditions that do occur. Country folks always take winter seriously, city people are nonchalant until we have an inch of snow and then we run willy-nilly. Your photos and description give me a better idea. Thanks again for the visual. Now about the town of "Happy", I had heard a little saying but can't remember exactly was it something like "Let's all go to Happy, Texas, and get happy?" Also are winters in the Amarillo area are a bit shorter than say up here in Philadelphia ? Ours can start from say, mid December and last until the end of March. Although with global warming winter has been known to start mid January when the ground freezes.

Attached is another photo from Palo Duro. These canyons amaze me ... I have only had one small taste of these beautiful canyons but know I have to return to Texas to experience them again. Texas is whole 'nother country!

Old 07-10-2008, 05:15 PM

The only saying I'm aware of is what it says on the signs on both ends of town.
Welcome To Happy "The Town Without A Frown"
From the same day.

Last edited by turkeytrot; 07-10-2008 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: incomplete

Old 07-10-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
The only saying I'm aware of is what it says on the signs on both ends of town.
Welcome To Happy "The Town Without A Frown"
From the same day.
Too cute!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas