Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 01:44 PM

22 posts, read 209,472 times

Advertisements

I've never been there... or anywhere in Texas for that matter, but I've been trying to do as much research online as I can because it's high on the list of places I think I would like to move to. I've been reading a lot of not so good things about the city on these forums and now I'M ALL CONFUSED!

I'm sure there have got to be some parts of Brownsville that aren't so bad. Does anyone have any photos of the town? I think I would benefit from some pictures too if anyone has any.

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2007, 01:55 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,003,265 times
Just out of curiosity,what makes it rate high on your list?Most of Texas avoids it like the plague.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:09 PM

really? well, hmm... i guess, i like the idea of living next to the Mexican border. I live for Latin American culture. I thought it would be the closest I could get to actually living in Mexico. The travel websites make it look very nice, but i've gotten some really extreme view points from people who love it and people who hate it, i'm so confused i'm not really sure anymore!
: )

Old 01-15-2007, 03:57 PM

Most large towns along the border have major problems with drug trafficking and the related crime.One of the larger drug cartels operates out of Matamoros just across the border.As the towns get larger,the seedier side gets worse.If I wanted to experience a Mexican lifestyle,I would move to Eagle Pass or Presidio.Not much in employment other than just getting by,but Brownsville is about the same as that anyway,and the lifestyle will be much more laidback and "authentic".The crime rate in these towns is about as low as you will find anywhere in the US.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:05 PM

hi. i know this thread is kinda dying, but seriously, does anybody have any pictures of Brownsville (downtown, the good areas AND the bad ones) that can be uploaded?
if so, i would greatly appreciate it!

Old 01-17-2007, 01:42 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,567,566 times
I used to go to another border town, Nuevo Laredo, but they are now warning Americans that there have been a number of drug wars--killings and shootings, folks--in that town and warning to stay away or stay cautious, at the very least, should you go. It was loads of fun there for Americans before 9/11. Went one time after 9/11 and it was like a ghost town (no American touristas). Pity.
Probably the same for Brownsville. Some years ago a blue eyed blonde from Dallas (I think) that was a college student was kidnapped and sacrificed in a Santeria (Cuban voodoo) ritual. They found his body buried on some farm.
These areas are not without their dangers.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:50 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,567,566 times
I just punched in "Brownsville, Texas photos" and many came up on the net. Give that a try.
I agree with Lifertexan, go to Eagle Pass or Presidio.
There is another thing which, I am sure, people will try to say does not exist but does. There is a great deal of animosity towards Caucasians down that way by the majority, which are Mexican. Very subtle sometimes, but it is there. Just be aware is all I am saying. You may be one of the lucky ones never to experience the hostility towards whites (assuming you are because you have red hair), but I have, friends who are biracial and appear more white have. Just be aware is all.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:34 PM

Trying to learn about a town through internet pictures is worthless.Nice homes anywhere are going to look good isolated in a picture.What the picture doesn't tell you is that 2 blocks over is the worst barrio in town,or that the schools have armed guards and metal detectors,or if you get a flat 2 blocks from home at night (or your kids do) that your life is in danger,etc,etc.Anyone who doesn't go and visit the town in person,especially a town like Brownsville,is just asking for misery.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:31 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Wait, isn't Santería of Caribbean origin?

And what was the unlucky victim's name?

I know that in the early 1900's many White people "stole" certain Mexican-American businesses and plots of land by asking for titles (the people did not have titles as the land belonged to them for generations). I wonder if the animosity is a product of the issues in the early 1900's.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:43 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,370 times
Imagine the worst of the United States and the worst of Mexico mixed up all together in one spot and ta-da, you get the Texas/Mexico border/Rio Grande Valley.

I'm caucasian and have always enjoyed and found Mexico and many aspects of Mexican culture interesting. I even speak Spanish very well and have and am attracted to hispanic girls. But a lot of the culture you will find in Brownsville is MUCH different than what you will find in the interior of Mexico. Just as our border areas are trashier than the rest of the country, Mexico's border areas are trashier than the rest of Mexico. If you enjoy Mexican/Latin culture, then take a trip to Jalisco or Monterrey.

I strongly recommend you visit the area before packing up and moving. I don't know many people who are from somewhere else that like living on the Texas/Mexico border. I consider it one of the trashiest areas in the United States personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas