Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 02:29 PM

246 posts, read 651,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
ah i keep forgetting about the USCG!!! sorry!!!! so where yall PCS'ing to next? where is the next duty station gonna be?
Freeport (by Lake Jackson and just south of Houtson) - actually, the boat is out of Surfside beach, across from Freeport. We wanted to stay in TX a few more yrs so the baby can get to know our family more (all in the San Antonio area) We were so prepared for Florida or North carolina and now that we're sticking in TX we in disbelief! I think we'll be ready for an out of state adventure, once we're done with Freeport. Wouldn't mind Florida, again or up the east coast.

by the way, where is "El Desierto de los Muertos, South Texas" - of is that your affectionate name for vally living?! ha!

Old 03-20-2007, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 17,920 times
Hi again,

Thanks for all the input - so I have to say that most of you have a more negative than positive, opinion on the subject; (This Santeria stuff IS scary...) Anyway, I'd like if somebody could give me actually numbers on renting or buying a home in McAllen or Edinburg. I also considered South Padre Island but heard that there are no jobs there whatsoever (?)
(Here in LA housing is simply unaffordable - that's the big issue.) So the plan is to be able to buy a modest home or condominium in a nice part of either McAllen or Edinburg, or possibly SPI - would like to hear some numbers from you in the area. Thanks!

Old 03-21-2007, 07:37 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,803,709 times
While you're looking, I suggest you check out the Corpus Christi area. We're 3 hours north of Brownsville, close to the beach with lots of Hispanic culture, if that's what you're after. Housing is affordable and the lifestyle is relaxed.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:21 AM

62 posts, read 459,750 times
I can't speak to renting or buying in Mcallen or Edinburg, but for South Padre Island jobs, most are service type positions - and there are plenty of those available most of the year (don't try applying anywhere in November when the tourist season is over and no one is hiring). You can rent a small one bedroom for around $600. Homes start at $300k for an old beach house (a lot that consists of 50 feet by 100 feet of sand starts at $200k). You could also buy a one bedroom condo for $100-$150k.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephinLA View Post
Hi again,

Thanks for all the input - so I have to say that most of you have a more negative than positive, opinion on the subject; (This Santeria stuff IS scary...) Anyway, I'd like if somebody could give me actually numbers on renting or buying a home in McAllen or Edinburg. I also considered South Padre Island but heard that there are no jobs there whatsoever (?)
(Here in LA housing is simply unaffordable - that's the big issue.) So the plan is to be able to buy a modest home or condominium in a nice part of either McAllen or Edinburg, or possibly SPI - would like to hear some numbers from you in the area. Thanks!

Old 04-01-2007, 07:28 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,759,473 times
Lived in Brownsville for 25 years. In 2004, I think, there was only one murder.

It's a very safe town--great for families. However, all this is changing because of the lax border security.

If you're looking for a low cost of living, mild winters and fantastic Spring weather, then Brownsville is for you. It's a decent place to retire, but not one for growing up if you're a teen or young adult.

Food is good, but there's no diversity unless you like eating Mexican food all the time. Schools are bad, but they have one of the better private schools in the state.

Most people here are poor, don't speak English. Local politics are governed by high school prima donnas, etc. If you want to see what happens when the US does not close down the border, come to Brownsville and see for yourself what America will look like in 20 years. It functions--but it's not the America I want.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:38 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,042,849 times
Haven't been to Brownsville in 20 years but Laredo is probably similar. A disturbingly large number of new homes are built with a 10' cinder block wall surrounding the lot with the top of the wall imbedded with broken glass to deter anyone from climbing over. It has to be really bad for that to be a selling point on a new house!

Old 04-25-2007, 10:38 PM

3 posts, read 11,991 times
Default Why Do Border Cities Get Such A Bad Wrap???

I Live In Mcallen Which Is Not Very Far Away. I Can Answer Truthfully Any Questions You May Have About Brownsville. What I Can Tell You Is That The "white" People As Previous Posts Stated Are Not Discriminated Against As Far As I Can See. Many Of Our Prominent Business Owners And Politicians Are White. The Anglos That Live Here Do Eat Mexican Food And Sometimes Speak Spanish Better Than Some Hispanics. The Crime Is Not So High. The Beach Is Close By. The Weather Is Great. There Are A Lot Of Good Things About This Border Area. We Are Booming Economically. I Personally Love Mcallen But Brownsville Is Okay.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:43 PM

3 posts, read 11,991 times
SANTERIA. I don't know anyone who does it or knows it. C'mon people. That would be like me saying i don't want to go to Louisiana because of voodooo ooooo.... or I don't want to go to New England because of the Salem witches. please. Mark Kilroy was drunk and in Mexico. I cannot speak for Mexico or what happens there. And for the record, I am a fifth generation American. I did not jump the border and neither did my family. The border jumped us. To say we are Mexicans is to say that we were all born in Mexico and just plain ignorant.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 7,958 times
McAllen, maybe a 30-minute drive from Browsville, is nicer. It's still close to the border for you as well.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:47 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,174,959 times
Wow, some people really have quite a chip on their shoulders. I like how one poster put it, she said she hates it here right after she commented about moving here without visiting beforehand! Anyways, life is good here if you appreciate and see value in what the community offers. Warm to Hot weather, adjacent to Mexico, the beach, the Hispanic culture, low cost of living and cheap labor. If these qualities matter to you, this is the place. If you are looking for theaters, the arts, museums and world class shopping, then no, the valley is not for you and it will be a let down.

Brownsville is the least attractive of the three major cities in the valley and I personally would prefer North Brownsville or McAllen. It is newer and suburban with a Latin flair.

It is true that the valley is isolated from the major cities, which is a pro and a con, depending on your viewpoint.

Good luck and come down for an extended stay before a move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas