Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:24 AM

6 posts, read 38,052 times

Advertisements

My parents live in Del Rio and I agree with what most people say about Texas/Mexico border. Mexico and the border towns are trashy, ridden with crime/drug trafficing along with most of the border cities are saturated with it also. My parents hardly ever go over the border and live on the lake and usually get most of what they need on the Air Force base. Forget HEB on a Saturday and the after Thanksgiving sales I'd rather have my teeth pulled with no novacaine. The mexicans cross the border and are should to shoulder thick and rude oh my god..... There are better places to live. Your in Tejas we have hispanic influence everywhere.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:09 AM

246 posts, read 649,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JULZGLZ View Post
I Live In Mcallen Which Is Not Very Far Away. I Can Answer Truthfully Any Questions You May Have About Brownsville. What I Can Tell You Is That The "white" People As Previous Posts Stated Are Not Discriminated Against As Far As I Can See. Many Of Our Prominent Business Owners And Politicians Are White. The Anglos That Live Here Do Eat Mexican Food And Sometimes Speak Spanish Better Than Some Hispanics. The Crime Is Not So High. The Beach Is Close By. The Weather Is Great. There Are A Lot Of Good Things About This Border Area. We Are Booming Economically. I Personally Love Mcallen But Brownsville Is Okay.
No offense intended, but are you "white"? I have lived here for 2 1/2 years - in brownsville- and I am causcasian and speak some spanish and my husband is from El Salvador and is fluent in the proper Spanish language and my step-dad is totally and authentically "Mexican" and I have many friends who are some type of hispanic decent or ancestry. Still, I have felt discrimination much of my everyday living here. It's what I refer to as "reverse", but Discrim. is Discrim. And, it really makes my heart sad, because I've finally felt what so many cultures and races have felt for generations. And it's plain ignorance and hate that is at the root of all Discrim. But, I have seen it, experienced it, and have spanish friends who will tell me that most of the problems I've had and the issues I've come across have been racially motivated or related to my being white, in "Brown-town".

If you're from the valley, you can't understand what's it's like being an "outsider" to the valley. I'm sure your intentions are well-meant, but perhaps you should talk to more "whites", or try LIVING in Bville, not just visiting - McAllen is very different than Bville living. I have a few close friends in your area and even they speak of the many negative differences.

But, yes, North Bville is much better and if anyone can, live in the McAllen area over Bville area.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:19 AM

Smile not SPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephinLA View Post
Hi again,

Thanks for all the input - so I have to say that most of you have a more negative than positive, opinion on the subject; (This Santeria stuff IS scary...) Anyway, I'd like if somebody could give me actually numbers on renting or buying a home in McAllen or Edinburg. I also considered South Padre Island but heard that there are no jobs there whatsoever (?)
(Here in LA housing is simply unaffordable - that's the big issue.) So the plan is to be able to buy a modest home or condominium in a nice part of either McAllen or Edinburg, or possibly SPI - would like to hear some numbers from you in the area. Thanks!
Hi
I would recommend staying away from SPI, unless you like small town, closed circles, where everything is based on who you know and/ or how much money you have and what salon you get your hair done in. It's a very, very small population and very remote from most necessities of life - what they do have, is nice beaches (for TX), a waterpark, lots and lots of condos/hotels, motels, and tons of gift shops and tourists attractions, with tourists from all over tX and Mexico - especially during spring break. For atleast two weeks in March, many leave their homes and va-ca.
Can't help with number for Edinburg or McAllen, but out of all the valley, these two are probably the best choice for good all-around living.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:37 AM

Great pics RGV - you have talent, for sure

If everday living in Bville was walking through old historic buildings and taking a casual stroll on a Nov afternoon, when it's not 98 degrees, through DT Bville, then Bville would surely be THE place to live!
It can be a neat place to visit, especially for those who don't want or can't travel into Mexico, but still want a taste of a bit different culture.
But, I would never recommend taking up residence, here. (just my opinion)
And, nope, it's not about not liking the people for me - it's about the attitude of the people - people being white, black, spanish, oriental, etc.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:21 AM

62 posts, read 458,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GausJAMS View Post
Hi
I would recommend staying away from SPI, unless you like small town, closed circles, where everything is based on who you know and/ or how much money you have and what salon you get your hair done in.
WOW. Blanket generalizations. My favorite.

I've got slightly different perspective from living on South Padre Island. I've found SPI to be the most warm, welcoming, and friendly town I've ever lived in; granted, it is also the smallest town I've lived in. 'How much money/who you know/where you get your hair done/closed circles' are words I'd NEVER use to describe SPI. I've never lived among as many people who DON'T care about these things. I moved here not knowing a single person, with no money, and was wholeheartedly welcomed into the community, and have had a wonderful time living here in this beautiful place with many wonderful people.

I guess this person had a bad experience here, however, for everyone who has never been here, I encourage you to just come and see for yourself.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:50 PM
RGV

570 posts, read 3,221,042 times
Thx BB,

It's so discouraging to hear so many negative statements about my hometown area.

It's nice to hear that some people have positive experiences.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:44 AM

BB -
Blanket generalizations - isn't that what anyone does when they give their own take on anything? It's their opinion/summation of their own experiences and knowledge and conclusions.
What you or I or anyone says is not usually based on objective truth, but purely subjective and should be taken as such.

Glad to hear that you have had a welcoming experience on SPI. Even though I have posted what some consider to be negative remarks and other consider truthful remarks, they are only my opinions. I never wish anyone to have a bad experience, no matter where they choose to call home. I've never suggested that what I was saying is the only perspective out there - only my perspective. Perhaps seeing the posts as they are, merely other's opinions/generalizations/experiences, might help everyone in not taking them so personally. In fact, it's a great thing if people feel welcome enough here, to post their raw honest truthful feelings/conjectures/suggestions/advice/cautions/opinions/generalizations/ etc. It's great to have such diversity - it brings a wider, more vivid picture to whatever the topic.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:54 PM

10 posts, read 79,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
Imagine the worst of the United States and the worst of Mexico mixed up all together in one spot and ta-da, you get the Texas/Mexico border/Rio Grande Valley.

I'm caucasian and have always enjoyed and found Mexico and many aspects of Mexican culture interesting. I even speak Spanish very well and have and am attracted to hispanic girls. But a lot of the culture you will find in Brownsville is MUCH different than what you will find in the interior of Mexico. Just as our border areas are trashier than the rest of the country, Mexico's border areas are trashier than the rest of Mexico. If you enjoy Mexican/Latin culture, then take a trip to Jalisco or Monterrey.

I strongly recommend you visit the area before packing up and moving. I don't know many people who are from somewhere else that like living on the Texas/Mexico border. I consider it one of the trashiest areas in the United States personally.
Amen. Well said. I lived in the Rio Grande Valley area for 18 years...and I nearly shot myself. It was bad. I'm glad I left. And those McAllen snobs that think their **** don't stink and live in the Beverly Hills of the Valley...DON'T GET ME STARTED! And yeah, I'm Hispanic.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyP829 View Post
I disagree with CoastieTX. I think the Rio Grande Valley is a great place to live and while I agree Brownsville is trashy, the whole valley is not. Mcallen and Harlingen are great towns. Edinburg and Mission aren't that bad either. Brownsville is the only town in the Valley that looks like it could really be Mexico. The Mcallen, Mission and Edinburg area is one of the fastest growing areas in the nation. I'm from Mcallen and while the crime rate has gone up because of the population growth, its the cleanest town in the valley.
My reply to Tootsie. While there are people here in the valley that probably don't like caucasians are you call em, (by the way Hispanics are a white race too. We are caucasians as well) most "whites" that have lived here all their lives are equal to us, our culture is their culture. They talk with the same accent we do which is a valley accent.There is no problem with them what so ever. While other whites new to the valley have an attitude towards Hispanics and people here don't take to that kindly of course. They usually have a better than though attitude. They end up figuring out who's who here and if they want to live here comfortably they'll lose the attitude.
That's cute. Too bad McAllen is actually dirty (streets, stores, parks, etc.). Thanks, love.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JULZGLZ View Post
I Live In Mcallen Which Is Not Very Far Away. I Can Answer Truthfully Any Questions You May Have About Brownsville. What I Can Tell You Is That The "white" People As Previous Posts Stated Are Not Discriminated Against As Far As I Can See. Many Of Our Prominent Business Owners And Politicians Are White. The Anglos That Live Here Do Eat Mexican Food And Sometimes Speak Spanish Better Than Some Hispanics. The Crime Is Not So High. The Beach Is Close By. The Weather Is Great. There Are A Lot Of Good Things About This Border Area. We Are Booming Economically. I Personally Love Mcallen But Brownsville Is Okay.
Nice. Now let's face reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas