Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 04:27 PM

3 posts, read 11,458 times

Advertisements

I grew up in San Angelo, left in the early 80's, and just returned. So I'm still rediscovering the place myself. I know they still rent out ballrooms at The Cactus for party, weddings and such, but I have no idea if they rent rooms.

Best chicken fried steak is a matter of opinion, but I still like Zetner's Daughter on Knickerbocker. There are all kinds of little taquerias for authentic soft tacos and breakfast "burritos", and most serve anything you can imagine on a tortilla, including barbacoa, (and cabrito on weekends). If you want good catfish, avoid anything named "Catfish" and head out to Pack Saddle Bar-B-Que by Lake Nasworthy. If you want the some of the best barbeque in the state according to Texas Monthly, go to R.J.s BBQ on N Bryant Blvd. Warning: They make one big batch of brisquet, sausage, ribs, chicken, etc...every day, and once it's gone, it's gone. So call ahead & get there before they close. The older motels are out on Bryant/US 87 & the new hotels (Hampton Inn) are on Loop 306. There is an older La Quinta @ the Loop & Knickerbocker (rates?) that would put you 5 mins. to Bentwood, 15 mins. to SACC and about that to Central HS.

Hope this helps! It's off the top of my head & like I said, I haven't been back in SA long...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 06:58 PM

5,487 posts, read 12,278,543 times
I just wanted to chime in here. I'm originally from Chicago and lived in Amarillo for 13 years before I moved just south of Seattle about 3 years ago for a job. Let me say, I MISS Texans! In fact, I'm considering relocating and Tx is on the list of considerations. The people here in WA are the pits! The weather (10 months of clouds and rain) is the pits! And the cost of living? Well....that's another reason. I was thinking about returning to Amarillo but then I thought about SA (greener, smaller). I'm a single female so I want someplace that's safe. I never felt unsafe in Amarillo. I've pretty much been priced out of the housing market here, so I'm looking for a place where I can buy a little house and build a good social network. I really miss friendly people and Texans are just the best!

By the way, I too am former Navy, although I didn't do the full 20, so I just wanted to give a shoutout to a fellow shipmate! I also served a few years in the Air National Guard as a weather forecaster for a figher squadron in Oklahoma. I currently work for a defense contractor, so I suspect I'd have to change careers and probably take a pay cut, but I don't think you can put a price on nice and sometimes quality of life is more than $$$. Anyway, I'll have to do some more research on San Angelo and then maybe take a little visit when I go to see my dear friends in Amarillo and Olton.

BTW....I too would much rather live next to Tony Soprano mob boss than gangsters anyday. We have a saying in Chicago about mafiaville being the safest neighborhood around. My cousin went to a private college in a mafia-type neighborhood and she never felt so safe in her life!

Take care ya'll and hope to talk to you soon!

Old 07-24-2008, 04:02 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,802,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Texan View Post
I grew up in San Angelo, left in the early 80's, and just returned. So I'm still rediscovering the place myself. I know they still rent out ballrooms at The Cactus for party, weddings and such, but I have no idea if they rent rooms.

Best chicken fried steak is a matter of opinion, but I still like Zetner's Daughter on Knickerbocker. There are all kinds of little taquerias for authentic soft tacos and breakfast "burritos", and most serve anything you can imagine on a tortilla, including barbacoa, (and cabrito on weekends). If you want good catfish, avoid anything named "Catfish" and head out to Pack Saddle Bar-B-Que by Lake Nasworthy. If you want the some of the best barbeque in the state according to Texas Monthly, go to R.J.s BBQ on N Bryant Blvd. Warning: They make one big batch of brisquet, sausage, ribs, chicken, etc...every day, and once it's gone, it's gone. So call ahead & get there before they close. The older motels are out on Bryant/US 87 & the new hotels (Hampton Inn) are on Loop 306. There is an older La Quinta @ the Loop & Knickerbocker (rates?) that would put you 5 mins. to Bentwood, 15 mins. to SACC and about that to Central HS.

Hope this helps! It's off the top of my head & like I said, I haven't been back in SA long...
Thanks for all the info, West Texan....I'm printing info from this & other threads & will arrive in SA prepared.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:24 PM

389 posts, read 1,660,051 times
Default to bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I saw on the news tonight that Rodeos and Carnivals maybe a thing of the past if Gas prices keep rising like they are.. what do you think?
yeah if gas keeps rising,we have to spend money on other things more important.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:14 AM

3 posts, read 11,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dee View Post
yeah if gas keeps rising,we have to spend money on other things more important.
One thing most people haven't thought of is the impact it's having on bands. Most of these guys & gals travel around in vans, pulling their gear in a small trailer. No matter what genre of music you prefer, if you like live bands in small venues and exploring new music, it may be put on hold as bands/performers are forced to play closer to home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas