Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 02:09 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Here's a few photos of San Angelo taken from the ballroom at the top of the Cactus Hotel, and a photo of the river taken from the visitor's center.

Attachment 21690

Attachment 21691

Attachment 21692

Attachment 21693

Attachment 21694
Got any more? I was wondering are those pictures from the tower in the river shot you also have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 02:35 PM

714 posts, read 2,933,016 times
My wife and I, and her cousin & husband are driving through San Angelo on our way to Sonora and Big Bend. We will probably stop at Fort Concho for awhile.

I took a trip to San Angelo about 5 years ago, since my hobby is collecting and wearing cowboy boots, it is a good town to visit for that. I followed up with another one three years ago. My first trip, I was a little disappointed, I guess after reading about the bootshops there, and it is the hometown to my favorite western author (Elmer Kelton), I was expecting Dodge City and Marshall Dillon being there too. But it was still a good visit. I stopped at the old JL Mercer Bootshop, it still has dust from 1922 in it. I stopped at a good bookstore downtown, off of Chadbourne, a good collection of Texas books. I heard that the well-known bootshop, M L Leddy, has moved their shop to the downtown area and you can actually see them making boots through a window. That will be neat.

We will definitely see some of the good spots in the downtown area, just don’t know how much time we have.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:58 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
My wife and I, and her cousin & husband are driving through San Angelo on our way to Sonora and Big Bend. We will probably stop at Fort Concho for awhile.

I took a trip to San Angelo about 5 years ago, since my hobby is collecting and wearing cowboy boots, it is a good town to visit for that. I followed up with another one three years ago. My first trip, I was a little disappointed, I guess after reading about the bootshops there, and it is the hometown to my favorite western author (Elmer Kelton), I was expecting Dodge City and Marshall Dillon being there too. But it was still a good visit. I stopped at the old JL Mercer Bootshop, it still has dust from 1922 in it. I stopped at a good bookstore downtown, off of Chadbourne, a good collection of Texas books. I heard that the well-known bootshop, M L Leddy, has moved their shop to the downtown area and you can actually see them making boots through a window. That will be neat.

We will definitely see some of the good spots in the downtown area, just don’t know how much time we have.
ML Leddy is still in San Angelo and making boots? They had a shop in Midland for a number of years...and I had one custom-made pair (1982 or so) that I still have in the top of my closet. I love them, and they fit like a glove. They closed down the Midland store, and I wondered whether they went out of business elsewhere. Glad to hear that they are still there!

I just finished one of his old books, probably the most well-known...The Time It Never Rained. It brought back a lot of memories (ranching, drought, sheep shearing, etc.), even though I was a baby at the time period of the novel!

Is the old Hatatorium still there?

Old 06-19-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
ML Leddy is still in San Angelo and making boots? They had a shop in Midland for a number of years...and I had one custom-made pair (1982 or so) that I still have in the top of my closet. I love them, and they fit like a glove. They closed down the Midland store, and I wondered whether they went out of business elsewhere. Glad to hear that they are still there!

I just finished one of his old books, probably the most well-known...The Time It Never Rained. It brought back a lot of memories (ranching, drought, sheep shearing, etc.), even though I was a baby at the time period of the novel!

Is the old Hatatorium still there?

Cathy4017,

ML Leddy has been making boots in San Angelo since 1936 or so. They did have a Midland store, but I am sure the boots were made in San Angelo. I think the store closed in the mid-1980s. They still have a store in Ft. Worth, but the boots are made in San Angelo also. I have read a little about the ML Leddy bootmaking clan, very interesting. There were several brothers who had shops/stores in Abilene, Midland, and Grand Prairie.

I love "The Time it Never Rained," read it twice. I hope they make a movie using it. "The Good Ol' Boys" was an Elmer Kelton book that was made into a movie with Tommy Lee Jones. San Angelo has a treasure in Elmer Kelton.

I don't recall the Hatatorium. They do have saddleshops, and Holland's Silver Shop for jewelry and western buckles.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:34 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
Quote:
Cathy4017,

ML Leddy has been making boots in San Angelo since 1936 or so. They did have a Midland store, but I am sure the boots were made in San Angelo. I think the store closed in the mid-1980s. They still have a store in Ft. Worth, but the boots are made in San Angelo also. I have read a little about the ML Leddy bootmaking clan, very interesting. There were several brothers who had shops/stores in Abilene, Midland, and Grand Prairie.

I love "The Time it Never Rained," read it twice. I hope they make a movie using it. "The Good Ol' Boys" was an Elmer Kelton book that was made into a movie with Tommy Lee Jones. San Angelo has a treasure in Elmer Kelton.

I don't recall the Hatatorium. They do have saddleshops, and Holland's Silver Shop for jewelry and western buckles.
Have ya got any from that Boot lady in El Paso, who makes awesome boots?

I think this is it..

The Official Website for Rocketbuster Boots!

Thats where I found my boots..

Old 06-19-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Cathy4017,

I can't believe that Holland's Jewelry (what it was once called) is still there. I still have my old sterling silver spur earrings. When I was in high school, EVERYBODY had to have a pair!!

I do believe that the Twin Mountain Steakhouse is still there....they had the most awesome plate of "scraps" (pieces of melt-in-your-mouth beef tenderloin)...we used to go there all of the time.

I haven't seen Good Old Boys yet, but will make a point to do so. As far as Kelton goes, "The Time It Never Rained" was better-written than some of his later stuff, but I haven't read a lot. The library here is full of his novels, so I will read them at my leisure!

Last edited by Cathy4017; 06-19-2008 at 07:20 PM..

Old 06-19-2008, 06:43 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
Quote:
Lone Star Rebel,

There are not to many places in Texas that cater a lot to the Old West. There are many that have occasional festivals and special events.

If you can, do a little travelling to see some of the old-west re-enacting. Head up to Abilene to Frontier Texas, you will see the the way the area looked 100s of years ago.

Go to Anson to the Cowboy Christmas Ball in December.

I am sure Alpine TX has good events with their Cowboy Poetry festival.

I am sure there are more.
Don't forget the annual Fandangle in Albany. It is a great re-enactment--with music--of the history of the area.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:54 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
Don't forget the annual Fandangle in Albany. It is a great re-enactment--with music--of the history of the area.
Teatime, you gave a great post about the Fandangle. (i made my post before I read all the way through the five pages.) I am glad you are going this year. I always enjoy it. Albany has lots of great things going for it. During the Fandangle, they serve barbecue on the court house lawn. The old jail art museum is also worth a visit. You can't beat the Beehive in Ablany. It is a great restaurant--but a little pricey. Enjoy your day in Albany. I have just decided that it is time for my wife and me to go there again this year to enjoy the Fandangle and any other activities going on.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Have ya got any from that Boot lady in El Paso, who makes awesome boots?

I think this is it..

The Official Website for Rocketbuster Boots!

Thats where I found my boots..

My Rocketbusters

Cathy4017

Good Ol Boys is hard to find, they show it on TV sometimes, but I bought a tape of it.

Hollands is at West Beauregard (sp?)

Old 06-19-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
My Rocketbusters

Cathy4017

Good Ol Boys is hard to find, they show it on TV sometimes, but I bought a tape of it.

Hollands is at West Beauregard (sp?)
Beauregard is right

It was fun to see some of your boots.....those old riding heels are harder to walk in!!

Wow...you're right. Amazon didn't even have it in any form other than a used VHS!!

I'm surprised that it's not out on DVD....

Last edited by Cathy4017; 06-19-2008 at 09:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas