Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 01:26 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times

Advertisements

Seems you're right, Muhnay... can't find anything that puts it closer than about 60-30 (whites-hispanic) for racial considerations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 02:19 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,956,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Seems you're right, Muhnay... can't find anything that puts it closer than about 60-30 (whites-hispanic) for racial considerations.
Not making any point.. other than you said that the majority of people in San Angelo are Hispanic, and I was saying that the stats show a different picture.

Don't read into anything thats not there.

Question: What were you getting at though, because it seems you may have a tid bit of resentment in your statements.

I just got my packet from San Angelo's chamber today.. and its really nice, lots of great info and pictures. I am gonna have to make another visit there soon, and check out the city more.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Not making any point.. other than you said that the majority of people in San Angelo are Hispanic, and I was saying that the stats show a different picture.

Don't read into anything thats not there.

Question: What were you getting at though, because it seems you may have a tid bit of resentment in your statements.

I just got my packet from San Angelo's chamber today.. and its really nice, lots of great info and pictures. I am gonna have to make another visit there soon, and check out the city more.
I'm just guarded... in today's accusatory world... I went on a limb when I said that most of the people who commit crimes in San Angelo were hispanic. Of course... that was based on what the local TV news station broadcasts, and I'm sure they don't list every person that goes to jail every day... I was afraid of being labled a bigot because of that (which I'm not)... and wasn't comfortable after my posting that said that. Your post made me rethink my answer because I said it kind of in a concrete way, without any statistical reference to back it up. I still stand on it.. but now preface it by saying... "From what they broadcast on TV" and let people draw their own conclusions.

The city is a great city to work and live in. I served 21 years in the Navy, and have lived in 4 countries and 5 states during that time (visited many other countries and cities for schools and in travel, etc.) and chose to live here when I retired from the Navy. I have a job here now that pays well for the cost of living in the city.

As long as you can afford an air conditioner and don't plan on doing a lot of outside manual labor in the summer, it's a great, friendly city!

Old 06-27-2008, 09:02 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Close, and you get a cigar.....!

According to the 2008-2009 Texas Almanac, the breakdown for Tom Green County (San Angelo, Grape Creek, Water Valley, Christoval, et al):

Anglo: 63.65%
Hispanic: 30.71%

Total county population, 103,938. Angelo itself, just under 100K.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:38 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,956,511 times
Quote:
I'm just guarded... in today's accusatory world... I went on a limb when I said that most of the people who commit crimes in San Angelo were hispanic. Of course... that was based on what the local TV news station broadcasts, and I'm sure they don't list every person that goes to jail every day... I was afraid of being labled a bigot because of that (which I'm not)... and wasn't comfortable after my posting that said that. Your post made me rethink my answer because I said it kind of in a concrete way, without any statistical reference to back it up. I still stand on it.. but now preface it by saying... "From what they broadcast on TV" and let people draw their own conclusions.

The city is a great city to work and live in. I served 21 years in the Navy, and have lived in 4 countries and 5 states during that time (visited many other countries and cities for schools and in travel, etc.) and chose to live here when I retired from the Navy. I have a job here now that pays well for the cost of living in the city.

As long as you can afford an air conditioner and don't plan on doing a lot of outside manual labor in the summer, it's a great, friendly city!
One thing about me if I think your a bigot, I would just come out and say it.. I didn't. Hey I live in El Paso and have to live with the same fears you do. So I understand where your coming from.

I have a friend named Manual Labor, I kid you not.. and every time I hear/read that line I think about him.. He is Hispanic, and why his parents did that to him I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017;
Close, and you get a cigar.....!
YAY! is it Cuban? Don't worry I wont tell.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:39 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,038 times
Default San Angelo Photos with apologies to Muhnay...

More photos of San Angleo...
Attachment 22598

Attachment 22599

Attachment 22600

Attachment 22601

Attachment 22602

Attachment 22603

Last edited by leorah; 11-04-2008 at 08:48 PM..

Old 07-05-2008, 08:46 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Thank you. Great Pictures. Its almost like stepping back in time huh.
Yes, it is! We enjoy visiting San Angelo. They have a nice balance of preserving the past and looking toward the future. It's on our short list for retirement places.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:00 AM

169 posts, read 592,576 times
Well, all this sounds good but, I still ain't seen no local musicians sign on here yet, lol. As for no parks out there in the Bluffs, I heard they didn't want any in that area??? I don't know much about the Bluffs, I try to stay away from the Rich & Famous!

Old 07-07-2008, 10:02 AM

What?!?! Los Lonely Boys is from here... and we even had Chris Cagle play here not too long ago.

Rich and Famous?!?! Oooo you mean the UPPER Bluffs. We're down on the Regular Joe Bluffs.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:17 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Great thread.....that deserves to get bumped.

I was going to travel to SA in a couple of months for a 2 night visit. My 9 y/o son is going to play in a tennis tournament. Figured i'd ask a couple of questions in this thread since knowledgable people are posting here.

- That hotel...it's beautiful. Is it a museum or do folks stay there?

- Best places to get good non-chain, "locals type" BBQ, Hamburgers, good/cheap breakfasts & tex/mex. (with 30% latin population, i hope i can get non-gringo tacos/gorditas/tamales &/or breakfasts w/o velveeta cheese or bottled salsa).

- If that pretty hotel isn't available (or to expensive) are there a couple of motels that come recommended. (i think that the tournament will be played at Bentwood & SA Country Clubs ...& possibly the HS)....so closer to those areas would be best i suspect.

- Good but inexpensive Steak/Chicken Fried Steak or Comfort Food joint.

- We'll check out the downtown river area & Ft. Concho & I'll look at the SA tourism link. Anything else a 51 y/o man & his 9 y/o son should do?

San Angelo looks like a nice place to visit. Thanks in advance!

hound
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas