Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:45 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,886,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
It's so sad watching Austin and San Antonio sprawl extend into my beloved hill country. It seems like every where you look, you've got new single acre estates with half million dollar homes going in. Old ranch land is being converted into shopping centers and other places where hill country yuppies gather in numbers to pretend like they know what real country living is all about. You know the type. There are the people that have never eaten at Coopers, drank a beer at Luckenbach, camped/caught a rainbow trout on the Guadalupe, been to a Burnet vs. Marble Falls HS football game, killed a deer, shot doves over a tank, or have ever been to the towns of Leakey, Junction, Uvalde, Doss, ect.

It's depressing. I feel I am left with no choice but to head further west. I always dreamed about owning a ranch on the banks of the Llano, but at this point, I'm not sure it'll be there for less than $5000 an acre. And I'm not even sure it's the price that is as big a deal breaker as the expansion of suburban yuppies into what used to be real country. So I just might just settle further out towards the Sonora/Ozona area. Crockett county/Northern Val Verde county is looking pretty good at this point. I'm just concerned about how close I'll be to the border at that point. But I guess that's something that goes with getting away from the invasion of the suburbia.
It really is sad. The Austin/Hill Country area 30-40 years ago was just great, though too humid for this desert rat.

Ozona and Crockett County are not what they were....there are developments going on to the south that I just recently found out about a couple of years ago (I've been gone since 1970), but it's nothing compared to what is happening to the hill country, and if you want isolation, you can certainly find it in Crockett and Val Verde counties. However, Lake Amistad has fueled quite a bit of development, as you will see if you decide to investigate.

I love Val Verde county and the Devil's River that runs through it...childhood summers in the 1950s to 1966 or so were spent on the river. We used to feed w******s (yes, I know that's not PC, but that's what they were in the 1950s) that were passing through occasionally. We would not ever do that now. There is a meaness along the border that was absent back in those days, but I still don't feel unsafe on the US side. Ciudad Acuña across from Del Rio was a safe, friendly bordertown back then, but I don't know that I'd go over there now except in a group.

The climate is quite a bit drier than the Hill Country, and is semi-arid scrubby brush/desert/canyonlands. It's worth checking out if you like that sort of climate and want away from people. But it has been discovered, so....who knows how long it will remain the way it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 09:48 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,719,169 times
I documented my travels into the hill country about a year ago as I was looking for my own piece of country land to call home. I had taken photos of various areas of the hill country I was attracted to, places that would not only make a good investment (the least of my concerns), but more importantly, a place to build with my own hands and a place worthwhile to die in. When you go into a store and buy material things, that's chattel, but when you own a piece of country land, that's real....it's no wonder they called it "real" estate.

I finally pulled out the photos I took about a year ago and I'm sad to report that half of those are now suffering the wrath of development. On the other hand, the good news is that land is not selling as fast as i originally thought. Is it due to the economy? I dont' think so. I think many people are overselling their land and people are finally smart enough to not pay 8k/acre. Texas are still lucky to have so much land to choose from, unlike our brethren in the East. Take advantage of it---you'll never know what you've had until it's too late.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:31 AM

801 posts, read 2,213,634 times
It doesn't really matter where you are. If you find an area you really like, it's going to change. People have the same general complaint about development everywhere you go. The population of this country has DOUBLED since I was born, and lots of folks want to find their little piece of heaven. About 15 years ago, I bought some land about 10 miles north of the resort town of Ruidoso, New Mexico. It was great...I'd hear the coyotes at night when I was camping. The Milky Way is incredible with no city lights at an elevation of 7200 feet. But now...new developments are all around my little spot of heaven. There is talk of a new Wal-Mart and other chains within 3 miles. If you're 19 years old and want to claim a spot that will be good for years, you really need to get pretty far away from the growth in my opinion. Good luck!

Old 05-23-2008, 12:49 AM

11 posts, read 69,216 times
Dude, I totally hear you on that. That's the main reason I want to get out of Utah, it's all Mormon yuppies living in the same beige and white stucco "faux/nouveau-riche" mansions and driving giant SUVs because they have so many kids (or they're just really insecure). If any of you fly into Salt Lake International, you'll see what I mean. It's just suburbia from east to west, north to south. It's like they can't leave any piece of land undeveloped.

I've always dreamed of having a small "city-slicker" ranch out in the hill country of Texas to call my home. One that's close enough to civilization and the modern world, but also close enough to the small town city feel where everyone knows everyone. A nice little ranch house, a few horses maybe, and a Chevy parked in front. A place where the young ones can actually have a childhood.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:42 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,201,242 times
Absolutely right, chaps. I spent the summer of 1968 in Austin. The population was about 180,000 and I loved it! It's at least 3 times that big now, and traffic is a nightmare.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:21 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
Y'all certainly make valid points about the hill country, but, if you want to see profound change, go to Houston, or most any of its 'burbs. It doesn't even feel like America anymore. I would take the "yuppie" change anyday over it...
oh man ... you hit THAT nail on the head....

about 15-20 years ago, the small but comfortable houses in the neighborhood where i was raised started being sold and then torn down to make way for ginormous macmansions that literally sit easement to easement to easement to easement on the ENTIRE lot.... our old house and a VERY few others are the only ones remaining ..... or were the last time i drove through a few years ago.......

i remember when the galleria first opened (an INDOOR ice skating rink!!! ) .... moved away to the midwest in 1986 and once i moved my then in-failing-health mom here in 1998, have only been back a handful of times.... but enough to know that i will NEVER go back to houston to live... not a dis or anything.... just too danged big and sprawled out for me.....

i am amazed when i can still pick out familiar landmarks that are still standing around the old neighborhood.....

Old 05-23-2008, 12:25 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,056,657 times
San Antonio/Hill country area is becoming California East. the young kids don't want to ranch anymore so the sell out to investors and developers

Old 05-23-2008, 02:58 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,387,648 times
its a dayum shame.......our Western heritage is hanging at the threads. i am glad that the Texas Fellowship of Cowboy Churches have as one of their missions, to preserve Western heritage......and TFCC churches are becoming more popular and increasing in numbers. i go to cowboy church and love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
San Antonio/Hill country area is becoming California East. the young kids don't want to ranch anymore so the sell out to investors and developers

Old 05-23-2008, 03:12 PM

152 posts, read 674,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Valid concerns. However, someone in the Hill Country is selling the land that, in-turn, encourages these types of developments. I wonder what the Indians thought when they lost their Texas land to the Spaniards, who lost to the Mexicans, and then they lost to the US government, who turned around and gave it to Americans. I guess in history, what goes around comes around.

BTW: I don't live in the Hill Country, but like to drive in it.

Just wanted to point out a little Texas history. The Mexicans didn't lose it to the US government, they lost it to an independent Texas, The Republic of Texas Texas land was never US government land. It was Texas owned when it became a part of the US and still is. Thats one of the reason there are not a lot of national parks here, but state parks. Most of the national park land was purchased by the federal government.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:56 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,675,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyinSanAntonio View Post
Just wanted to point out a little Texas history. The Mexicans didn't lose it to the US government, they lost it to an independent Texas, The Republic of Texas Texas land was never US government land. It was Texas owned when it became a part of the US and still is. Thats one of the reason there are not a lot of national parks here, but state parks. Most of the national park land was purchased by the federal government.
I stand corrected. I was thinking about the Mexican-American war of 1848; however, this applied to present day New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, and parts of Colorado, but not Texas.

Thanks CurrentlyinSanAntonio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas