Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 11:33 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,502,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
It doesn't work that way, and why would you attract more posts? Corpus has nearly three times, 300% more population than Tyler, if Tyler would have been on CD since inception,creation, Tyler would likely have as much activity as Corpus. Just asking,thanks.
I don't see the logic. Are you saying there are more people from Tyler posting than Corpus and more population does not mean more posts? If so, what does mean more posts?

As far as why it would it attract more posts, that's simple and it isn't for sure but the theory is 'Build it and they will come". May not mean a thing but that's what I meant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 12:30 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,025,762 times
There is no automatic formula that will tell you how many posts to expect. It's not like every 10,000th person in the world has a city data account. It is random. Tyler and Corpus are great comparisons because the Tyler board is way more active despite Corpus population being what, 2 or 3 times bigger?

Do you want a real reason? What do Corpus and the RGV have that Tyler doesn't have as much of? Maybe the type of person that lives there simply doesn't care to join a forum like this. If you have found your home/city that makes you happy and you aren't planning to move, there is really no reason to join, other than to help other people. I would guess most people that are only helping people these days on here joined this site because they did have a plan to move at some point. It's not the sort of forum you just randomly join I don't think.

Do you really think if a survey was done on the demographics of this site it will align with the demographics of America? For one example, I would bet people that are extremely poor are not well represented on this website. They kind of have other things to worry about. It's a website after all; different websites have different readers.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
There is no automatic formula that will tell you how many posts to expect. It's not like every 10,000th person in the world has a city data account. It is random. Tyler and Corpus are great comparisons because the Tyler board is way more active despite Corpus population being what, 2 or 3 times bigger?

Do you want a real reason? What do Corpus and the RGV have that Tyler doesn't have as much of? Maybe the type of person that lives there simply doesn't care to join a forum like this. If you have found your home/city that makes you happy and you aren't planning to move, there is really no reason to join, other than to help other people. I would guess most people that are only helping people these days on here joined this site because they did have a plan to move at some point. It's not the sort of forum you just randomly join I don't think.

Do you really think if a survey was done on the demographics of this site it will align with the demographics of America? For one example, I would bet people that are extremely poor are not well represented on this website. They kind of have other things to worry about. It's a website after all; different websites have different readers.
OK, so by your logic, more people want to move to or from Tyler than Corpus?

I'm on the CD which includes Texas. I post in other forums way more than Texas. I didn't join because I was moving. Many people join CD and are not moving. Your view is rather narrow. From what you describe it's anybody's guess.

So what to base decisions like this on whether we need an RGV forum or not?

I have yet to see an answer that makes sense. Kind of makes you wonder and no we don't need a survey and no it's not that big of a deal, to me anyways.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:51 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,096,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
OK, so by your logic, more people want to move to or from Tyler than Corpus?

I'm on the CD which includes Texas. I post in other forums way more than Texas. I didn't join because I was moving. Many people join CD and are not moving. Your view is rather narrow. From what you describe it's anybody's guess.

So what to base decisions like this on whether we need an RGV forum or not?

I have yet to see an answer that makes sense. Kind of makes you wonder and no we don't need a survey and no it's not that big of a deal, to me anyways.
OK, one final attempt, it is simple. way more people that come on CITY DATA, are more interested in Lubbock, and Tyler than they are interested in the RGV. Both people that live in the areas and don't live in the areas. That is also what is meant by the NUMBER of threads, posts, views, on the three areas I mentioned. I really hope this helps some, best to you. Thanks

Sometimes I've learned, after my 73 years on earth, some THINGS that don't add up, make sense, are actually "that way." or true, but yet could be hard to understand, and even harder to accept because it goes against what you THINK the answer should be. lol Oh, me.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
OK, one final attempt, it is simple. way more people that come on CITY DATA, are more interested in Lubbock, and Tyler than they are interested in the RGV. Both people that live in the areas and don't live in the areas. That is also what is meant by the NUMBER of threads, posts, views, on the three areas I mentioned. I really hope this helps some, best to you. Thanks

Sometimes I've learned, after my 73 years on earth, some THINGS that don't add up, make sense, are actually "that way." or true, but yet could be hard to understand, and even harder to accept because it goes against what you THINK the answer should be. lol Oh, me.
You are just guessing and you are incorrect. What YOU think is wrong and I can prove it.

I've set up forums like this one, I'm in IT and have been over 35 years. This one is done using software called vBulletin. When you set up forums and subforums you start by entering the names of the main forums which in the case of CITY DATA is 'US Forums', 'World Forums', 'General Forums', etc. Then you enter sub-forums for the main forums, so for 'US Forums', you would enter 'Alabama', 'Alaska', etc. eventually getting to Texas. Then for those sub-forums, you would enter more sub-forums. Under 'Texas', you would enter 'Austin', 'Corpus', 'Dallas', etc.

I don't know the exact date of when CD forums were set up but I would guess sometime around Dec 2005. The first posts in any of the Texas forums were about Apr 2006. This I know by looking at the first posts in several forums. This is assuming that there hasn't been a purge on the CD's database, meaning they have retained all of the threads from the beginning. You can see for yourself, go to any forum and click "Last" where the page numbers are.

So back to the topic at hand, if you click on either the 'Lubbock' or 'Tyler' forums, for both of those the first posts are from Aug 2006. Which tells me those forums have been there from the very beginning. So there goes your theory, that more people on CITY-DATA are interested in those places than the RGV. Whoever set up the forums on CD did that at the very beginning before there were ANY posts. Do you get it now? There were no people on CD at the beginning, it started from scratch but yet the forums for Lubbock and Tyler were there.

You are not an admin and even admins do not have the power to add new sub-forums. The site administrator would have the power. It doesn't matter, they are non-existent in the Texas forum and if they are around, I've never seen them here and I've been here since 2010. I have seen admins in other forums actually move threads out of places where they don't belong and close threads when they get off topic or out of hand. They are there for certain forums.

So all of the theories about the number of posts are incorrect, there were NO posts when ALL of the forums were first set up and nobody has been around to add new subforums. If you know something I don't please fill me in.

Last edited by gguerra; 03-06-2019 at 08:07 AM..

Old 03-06-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
You are just guessing and you are incorrect. What YOU think is wrong and I can prove it.

I've set up forums like this one, I'm in IT and have been over 35 years. This one is done using software called vBulletin. When you set up forums and subforums you start by entering the names of the main forums which in the case of CITY DATA is 'US Forums', 'World Forums', 'General Forums', etc. Then you enter sub-forums for the main forums, so for 'US Forums', you would enter 'Alabama', 'Alaska', etc. eventually getting to Texas. Then for those sub-forums, you would enter more sub-forums. Under 'Texas', you would enter 'Austin', 'Corpus', 'Dallas', etc.

I don't know the exact date of when CD forums were set up but I would guess sometime around Dec 2005. The first posts in any of the Texas forums were about Apr 2006. This I know by looking at the first posts in several forums. This is assuming that there hasn't been a purge on the CD's database, meaning they have retained all of the threads from the beginning. You can see for yourself, go to any forum and click "Last" where the page numbers are.

So back to the topic at hand, if you click on either the 'Lubbock' or 'Tyler' forums, for both of those the first posts are from Aug 2006. Which tells me those forums have been there from the very beginning. So there goes your theory, that more people on CITY-DATA are interested in those places than the RGV. Whoever set up the forums on CD did that at the very beginning before there were ANY posts. Do you get it now? There were no people on CD at the beginning, it started from scratch but yet the forums for Lubbock and Tyler were there.

You are not an admin and even admins do not have the power to add new sub-forums. The site administrator would have the power. It doesn't matter, they are non-existent in the Texas forum and if they are around, I've never seen them here and I've been here since 2010. I have seen admins in other forums actually move threads out of places where they don't belong and close threads when they get off topic or out of hand. They are there for certain forums.

So all of the theories about the number of posts are incorrect, there were NO posts when ALL of the forums were first set up and nobody has been around to add new subforums. If you know something I don't please fill me in.
You said a lot not to say anything informative. No, ask the moderators, the Tyler and Lubbuck sub-forums were added about 6 or at most seven years ago. the city-data was started about 2006. Now, for the facts, I watched everything I said happen, I have been on city-data almost daily since the beginning inception of c.d. Administrators have responded to the questions of more sub-forums on c.d., others have wanted Midland/Odessa sub-forums, the number of threads on MD have diminished greatly over the last several years. I have no clue who added the sub-forums, so I never said they added the sub-forums, who knows. I said I try to stick with facts. You may very well be correct about all the other forums you speak of, that is your experience, this is mine on c.d. Gee, I don't know how clearer and correct I can be. You win. lol

My posts are most based on statistics or facts, statements I often support you can look up, then I add, whenever I can remember, to add IMHO, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION. when I want to make
sure others know I know it's an opinion. If you desire to believe what you desire to believe. OK, that's not unusual, happens all the time. have a great day. lol

Last edited by Mark Senior; 03-06-2019 at 08:45 AM..

Old 03-06-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
You said a lot not to say anything informative. No, ask the moderator, the Tyler and Lubbuck sub-forums were added about 6 or at most seven years ago. the city-data was started about 2006. Now, for the facts, I watched everything I said happen, I have been on city-data almost daily since the beginning.

My posts are most based on statistics or facts, statements I often support you can look up, then I add, whenever I can remember, to add IMHO, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION. when I want to make
sure others know I know it's an opinion. If you desire to believe what you desire to believe. OK, that's not unusual, happens all the time. have a great day. lol
Oh, OK so 6 or 7 years ago there were so many posts from Tyler and Lubbock that they had to add sub-forums? If it doesn't make sense...

Old 03-06-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:

There is definitely an admin/mod in this board. He constantly removes my comments when I try to warn people before moving to bad neighborhoods. His name is elnina or something like that.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Oh, OK so 6 or 7 years ago there were so many posts from Tyler and Lubbock that they had to add sub-forums? If it doesn't make sense...
If it doesn't make sense, correct, your response here doesn't make sense. You were corrected about Tyler being on here since the inception of city-data. If you made that statement to correct my reasonable assumption that since Corpus has twice as many posts, and has also, been on city-data twice as long as Tyler, it reasonable to think Tyler would now have an equal number of posts/activity as Corpus.

I'm going to try to be "done" with this discussion. My main, and simple and clear comment is, simply there is not enough activity, from which sub-forums are created to have a sub-forum for the RGV. IMHO, it makes no sense to think you could CREATE interest by adding a RGV forum. Like would, OH gee, there is now a RGV forum, I think NOW I will comment. They would have already commented as thousands have, in the GENERAL area of the Texas section, which in turn COULD create enough interest for a sub-forum. This doesn't seem to be that difficult to understand. I hope you now understand how it actually works on city-data.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:05 AM

My point was really that the RGV doesn't seem to have many posters that post on here. Whenever I would ask questions there would be like 1 or 2 people that knew anything. It seems like the people who live there aren't interested in a forum like this. If you can get some of your buds on here it might very well make sense to have it's own board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas