Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2017, 06:44 AM

5 posts, read 6,370 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband just got a job in LA but is so close to the border that we thought about moving in TX.
Hallsville seams the best option. We currently live in New York State and a lot of people don't say good things about Texas. I've heard there are a lot of poisoned snakes and spiders everywhere. Also buying a house in a bad investment because of the number of tornadoes each year.

I would like to know I guess a bit more about life in Texas.

I'm Italian and I've never been to Texas before, so I would like the opinion of some local people.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 07:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Don't believe what people in NY say about Texas.

There are not "poisoned snakes and spiders everywhere." There ARE some snakes and there ARE some spiders but honestly, they don't want to run into humans any more than humans want to run into them.

I have seen several black widow spiders over the years here, but have only seen one brown recluse spider. Those are the most common ones, and they live throughout the entire US, but are more common in all southern states. Black widows are also common in the western states and brown recluses are common in the Midwestern states.
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/spiders/types.html

Rattlesnakes live throughout the US. Copperheads are more common on the east coast. Cottonmouths are more common in the southeastern states. Coral snakes are found throughout the south.
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/snakes/types.html

As for that nonsense about "buying a house is a bad investment because of the number of tornadoes" - sorry, but that is RIDICULOUS.

Here is a list of the most deadly tornadoes in US history - note that Texas is nowhere on this list:
Quote:
What were the top 10 deadliest U.S. tornadoes in the past? 1) March 18, 1925, Tri-State (Mo./Ill./Ind.), 695 deaths 2) May 6, 1840, Natches, Miss., 317 deaths 3) May 27, 1896, St. Louis, Mo., 255 deaths 4) April 5, 1936, Tupelo, Miss., 216 deaths 5) April 6, 1936, Gainesville, Ga., 203 deaths 6) April 9, 1947, Woodward, Okla., 181 deaths 7) April 24, 1908, Amite, La.,/Purvis, Miss., 143 deaths 8) May 22, 2011, Joplin, Mo., 124 deaths (pending final totals) 9) June 12, 1899, New Richmond, Wis., 117 deaths 10) June 8, 1953, Flint, Mich., 115 deaths
The city most likely to be hit by a tornado is Oklahoma City.
10 Facts You Want to Know about Tornadoes

Old 04-20-2017, 08:01 AM

5 posts, read 6,370 times
I was hoping you would say that!!!!
I always admired the southern hospitality. I lived in Jacksonville FL for a while and I miss that feeling.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:28 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,482,524 times
Hallsville is definitely small town living, so it will probably be quite an adjustment from New York State. Don't expect a bunch of gourmet options in the grocery stores or restaurants, and don't expect a bunch of high end retail. All of those things are close enough though.

I think you'll find the people very friendly and laid back, and if you're looking for a top notch school district for kids, I'd say Hallsville is a very good choice. Most people would say it's the most sought after school district when parents of school age kids are considering buying a house.

Tornadoes just aren't that frequent, and hurricanes have mostly petered out and been downgraded by the time they get to the Hallsville area. Hail damage is more of a consideration than tornado damage. You need good homeowner's insurance, just like you would anywhere you live. None of that should be a deterrent to buying a home.

I agree with KA about the snakes. You're just not going to see that many. Spiders can be controlled inside the house and on patio areas with regular spraying around the outside perimeter of the house and patio. Ants, in my opinion, are more of a problem than snakes or spiders. During the spring, ant hills can pop up almost over night. Again, that problem can be solved with ant killer. You'll have to deal with wasps in the summer and June bugs too, but those two aren't that big a problem.

If you or anyone in your family has allergy problems, you need to understand that around the beginning of spring, we have lots of pollen. I'm talking about the fine yellow dust that covers everything outside and will drive you crazy for about 3 weeks before the rain washes it away. After the yellow pollen comes the white balls of fluff that float through the air, which is where we are now. It'll be gone soon too.

One aspect of life in Hallsville - Friday night highschool football is big, especially if you have kids who play football or are members of the band or drill team. Whole families go out to support the Bobcats...moms, dads, brothers, sisters, grandmas, grandpas, aunts, uncles .

Another pro is that you don't have to shovel snow or have snow chains for your tires. Lots of places, including the schools, shut down when it occasionally snows or the roads are icy. Ahhh, life in Texas

Last edited by PennyLane2; 04-20-2017 at 08:51 AM..

Old 04-20-2017, 10:34 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiovannaSWR View Post
Hello,

My husband just got a job in LA but is so close to the border that we thought about moving in TX.
Hallsville seams the best option. We currently live in New York State and a lot of people don't say good things about Texas. I've heard there are a lot of poisoned snakes and spiders everywhere. Also buying a house in a bad investment because of the number of tornadoes each year.

I would like to know I guess a bit more about life in Texas.

I'm Italian and I've never been to Texas before, so I would like the opinion of some local people.

Thanks
Snakes and spiders are not poisonous....the correct term is venomous.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
Hallsville is definitely small town living, so it will probably be quite an adjustment from New York State. Don't expect a bunch of gourmet options in the grocery stores or restaurants, and don't expect a bunch of high end retail. All of those things are close enough though.

I think you'll find the people very friendly and laid back, and if you're looking for a top notch school district for kids, I'd say Hallsville is a very good choice. Most people would say it's the most sought after school district when parents of school age kids are considering buying a house.

Tornadoes just aren't that frequent, and hurricanes have mostly petered out and been downgraded by the time they get to the Hallsville area. Hail damage is more of a consideration than tornado damage. You need good homeowner's insurance, just like you would anywhere you live. None of that should be a deterrent to buying a home.

I agree with KA about the snakes. You're just not going to see that many. Spiders can be controlled inside the house and on patio areas with regular spraying around the outside perimeter of the house and patio. Ants, in my opinion, are more of a problem than snakes or spiders. During the spring, ant hills can pop up almost over night. Again, that problem can be solved with ant killer. You'll have to deal with wasps in the summer and June bugs too, but those two aren't that big a problem.

If you or anyone in your family has allergy problems, you need to understand that around the beginning of spring, we have lots of pollen. I'm talking about the fine yellow dust that covers everything outside and will drive you crazy for about 3 weeks before the rain washes it away. After the yellow pollen comes the white balls of fluff that float through the air, which is where we are now. It'll be gone soon too.

One aspect of life in Hallsville - Friday night highschool football is big, especially if you have kids who play football or are members of the band or drill team. Whole families go out to support the Bobcats...moms, dads, brothers, sisters, grandmas, grandpas, aunts, uncles .

Another pro is that you don't have to shovel snow or have snow chains for your tires. Lots of places, including the schools, shut down when it occasionally snows or the roads are icy. Ahhh, life in Texas
This is a very accurate and informative post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas