Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:27 AM

16 posts, read 57,972 times

Advertisements

My small family is planning on starting a medium/small town type ice cream shop. This is our dream so we want to choose the right location.

Please tell where your favorite place to go for ice cream is. And what is your favorite ice cream treat?

Also, let us know if a small (but good) ice cream place would work well in your community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 09:57 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,392,676 times
Cold Stone Creamery. like i told you before in your other thread, Ft Hood/Killeen area sure could use one. the closest one is in Georgetown 45 minutes drive. and Ft Hood is the largest military installation in the world! think about all the soldiers and their DEPENDENTS (e.g. spouses and kids)...and think about the fact that 4th Infantry Division and 1st Cavalry rotate 12-18 month tours in the sandbox...this leaves a BUNCH of spouses here at home with their kids-always trying to find ways to occupy their children's time, doing something special with them, taking them out to eat or just for treats.......think about it. a Cold Stone Creamery franchise in this area is a no brainer-it's a win win situation with a guaranteed good profit margin

Old 02-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 9 days ago)

52,716 posts, read 48,032,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTT1234 View Post
My small family is planning on starting a medium/small town type ice cream shop. This is our dream so we want to choose the right location.

Please tell where your favorite place to go for ice cream is. And what is your favorite ice cream treat?

Also, let us know if a small (but good) ice cream place would work well in your community.
Well, if you do decide to come to North Texas, you probably need to start in the suburbs first. I would strongly suggest Frisco (located 30 miles north of Dallas), since it is growing exponentially and has very few ice cream/frozen custard places. It's not a bad place to begin. As for what our favorite ice cream might be, you'll probably get a lot of different answers and viewpoints. But you may also want to get advice from other people who have been in the same type of business. Suggestion: Try to be as original and creative as you can; we have several small and large chains in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and competition is brisk.

Keep in touch with us on how it goes!

By the way, my personal favorite? Culver's -- it's a Wisconsin chain, but it is getting better established here in North Texas as well as elsewhere in the state. Great vanilla.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:32 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,392,676 times
i miss BRAUMS. they are an Oklahoma based chain, with some North Texas locations. their frozen custard is the best!

Old 02-16-2008, 02:00 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,814,727 times
Have several favorites... whichever is closest when the mood strikes!

Braum's
Marble Slab Creamery
Cold Stone Creamery
Baskin-Robbins
Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream

And, of course, you can never go wrong with Blue Bell!

Old 02-16-2008, 02:35 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,243,345 times
Braum's.......great dairy products, not just ice cream. Stores also have veggies and brad and some meat products. All I've ever seen so a great business. Serve breakfast and hamburgers, etc.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:10 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,151,367 times
I love Braum's and wish we had one in Abilene. When I have asked folks in the DFW Braum's or in Wichita Falls, Pampa, Lubbock, or Amarillo why we don't have one here, they tell me that their distribution points stop north of Abilene. Their ice cream is great. I am diabetic and appreciate their sugar-free items. My wife loves the other items. In the other thread, I told you that Abilene had more ice cream stores than it seems to be able to support. A Braum's, howeve, could put the others out of business, IMHO.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:09 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,781,090 times
Braum's. Bsides good ice cream, I love their milk, especially the chocolate milk, it's the best.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:53 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,294,658 times
Stephenville is the capital of Texas Dairy wise...thats what they claim...maybe Dublin for the home of the Dr.Pepper ...Those would be ideal Ice Cream places...but...the more south the better... Maybe Abilene, people like Ice Cream in the hot summer... DT Dallas or Uptown if you can afford might be a risky choice to put up some ice cream... real Family ice cream...if you can do it though...it could really pay off...DT Dallas is supposed to go BOOM on Main street...or thats what someone told me...

Old 02-16-2008, 09:05 PM
pfw

186 posts, read 849,692 times
In no certain order...Marble Slab, grocery store for some Blue Bell, or Dairy Queen for Blizzards.

There was a really good small ice cream store in Lewisville on 407. They had great ice cream, made on site in a variety of flavors (the chocolate wine flavor was awesome!!), and had good prices. Unfortunately they didn't last long, I think it was a combo of wrong area/shopping center and back in a corner so no one saw them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas