Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:00 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times

Advertisements

In NE Tarrant and on Inwood in Dallas, we have Milwaukee Joe's. They do gourmet, small-batch ice cream and frozen custard. Wonderful!

Other parts of town have Purple Cow and Henry's Homemade, which are also OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 01:31 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,451 times
I was in the Shops of Abilene area today for the first time in awhile, and I saw a new ice cream shop called Smoothie King. Never been it. Never tried it. But, maybe Abilene has room for more ice cream shops....Someone thinks so.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:32 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,451 times
Make that read, "Never been in it."

Old 02-17-2008, 10:54 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,410 times
Mostly Braums... I'm not in love with it like most people here. It's inexpensive, but it's just ok. I like Friendly's *much* better, but there aren't any of those around here.

There are a few Carvel's here in the DFW area... but none are close to my house. It's a nice treat when we're close to one though.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:31 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I was in the Shops of Abilene area today for the first time in awhile, and I saw a new ice cream shop called Smoothie King. Never been it. Never tried it. But, maybe Abilene has room for more ice cream shops....Someone thinks so.
Smoothie King is a pretty different animal than an ice cream shop. Although it's probably the most sugar-y and least healthy of the smoothie stores. Don't get me wrong, though, I do like them.

What about Wild About Harry's? I think they have a couple multiple locations in the Dallas side of D/FW besides their original. A hot dog place too, but a great place to go for ice cream/custard.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:33 PM

397 posts, read 1,025,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
Have several favorites... whichever is closest when the mood strikes!

Braum's
Marble Slab Creamery
Cold Stone Creamery
Baskin-Robbins
Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream

And, of course, you can never go wrong with Blue Bell!
Hi:

Whenever I visit, I buy some Blue Bell - it is really good. I assume it is made in TX, because I can never get it at the grocery store back home??

Old 02-18-2008, 03:32 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
BRAUM'S!! I love Blue Bell but I can get that at any store. Braum's, now that is a whole different ball o' wax. Good stuff!!

Old 02-18-2008, 05:56 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
Hi:

Whenever I visit, I buy some Blue Bell - it is really good. I assume it is made in TX, because I can never get it at the grocery store back home??
Yep......Brenham, TX, to be exact.

Thank God I can get it here in New Mexico. I buy Blue Bell rather than going out to ice cream shops!

.: Blue Bell Creamery :. (http://www.bluebell.com/The_Little_Creamery/history.aspx - broken link)

Old 02-28-2011, 04:09 PM

6 posts, read 12,773 times
I don't understand all the fascination with Blue Bell, other than misplaced Texas pride. I've had ice cream all over the country and Blue Bell is definitely in the "second tier." Among commercial ice creams that are better: Hood in New England, Kemp's in Minnesota, and Edy's/Dryers from California. (However, Breyer's, once good, is now even worse than Blue Bell, since Unilever bought them out and turned their ice cream into frozen chalk!)

Old 02-28-2011, 04:14 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyWarren View Post
I don't understand all the fascination with Blue Bell, other than misplaced Texas pride. I've had ice cream all over the country and Blue Bell is definitely in the "second tier." Among commercial ice creams that are better: Hood in New England, Kemp's in Minnesota, and Edy's/Dryers from California. (However, Breyer's, once good, is now even worse than Blue Bell, since Unilever bought them out and turned their ice cream into frozen chalk!)
Bad enough that you revived a 3 year old thread that's been dead for a LONG time. But on TOP of that, you're dissin' Blue Bell.

Don't tell anyone here where you live.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas