Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 05:50 AM

9 posts, read 20,432 times

Advertisements

Greetings Texans,

I've hear good things about Texas- and want to know about conservative yet fun places to live. I'm in a very blue state now- Illinois- UGH! time for a change.

What is the true cost of living like-- and where do you get the most for real estate buck while having the big city nearby?

Where is a good starting point to figure this out- chamber of commerce perhaps? Would like to visit the great state in the Spring or Summer...

Thanks,
MRW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 06:33 AM
rwr

268 posts, read 612,488 times
Default Conservative place to live.

Just about anywhere in Texas you will fit in. Even our version of San Francisco, Austin, is a nice place to live. Texans are pretty welcoming to all. Good luck in your search and welcome to Texas.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:40 AM

thank you RWR...perhaps I should contact a realtor first- a good place to start the process.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:08 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,765,743 times
Other than a conservative place outside a big city, what do you want in a place to live?

The Texas cities are pretty predictable political. The major cities vote blue, but the small towns and (most) of the burbs tend to vote red.

Also, I will throw in that moving from a place because of politics is often not a very good idea. You don't have to live in a place that matches your politics. Im a liberal that lives in conservative Plano and I love it.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,020,365 times
Welcome to Texas! I moved here twenty five years ago and I love it!

I am politically independent - socially liberal and fiscally conservative. What I like about Texans is that frankly, most of them don't give a rat's arse what your political views are - they're friendly and yet independent minded. I'd say that generally speaking, the larger cities are more liberal and the smaller cities and towns are more conservative, like most of the US. Only in the smallest towns would you be likely to catch any flak about being a liberal, and in the bigger cities you aren't likely to catch any flak about being conservative.

In other words, don't worry about it and just come on down. If I were you, I would visit in the summer, so you get a true taste of a Texas summer, lest you be lulled into a false sense of complacency by our beautiful spring! It's HOT HOT HOT here in the summer - but that's what air conditioning, lakes, rivers and pools are for!

I live in northeast Texas between Dallas and Shreveport. The cost of living is very reasonable here. You can buy a decent house for $200,000 or maybe even a little less. As you probably know, there is no state income tax here. However, we do have some pretty hefty property taxes in some areas, so be sure you check on not just the price of the home, but also the property taxes.

Northeast Texas is full of trees, rolling hills, spacious pastures. It feels more "southern" than "western." It's got some good sized towns and cities in it, most notably Tyler and Longview. Both cities are just off Interstate 20 and are very pleasant places to live.

I've lived in both cities and can recommend several good realtors if you're interested. I've bought and sold real estate in both markets.

Keep us posted!

Old 02-02-2014, 09:41 AM

Thank you Kathryn...lots to think about...I was told the larger the city the more blue so I have a lot to think about because I would like to be near a big city...the burbs are OK but not out in the boonies... I noticed the Austin prices-- youch.

I appreciate your reply.

MRW

Old 02-02-2014, 09:44 AM

Thank you for the reply and you are right, shouldn't move for the political agenda...its also about the winters and this year Illinois is having a horrible one. The temps in TX are great it seems...

MRW

Old 02-02-2014, 10:13 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,886,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowers63 View Post
Thank you for the reply and you are right, shouldn't move for the political agenda...its also about the winters and this year Illinois is having a horrible one. The temps in TX are great it seems...

MRW
Winter, yes. Summer, spring and early fall--no. Most areas are hot as hell from May-October--if we're lucky. But even at that, I'll take Texas summers over IL-IN winters/climate. I can see why so many Midwesterners move to Texas, New Mexico (where I met MANY Midwesterners) and Arizona.

Texas is also having a much colder than normal winter in some areas. We have already had snow and two ice storms (far West Texas, Nov 2013)...and colder temperatures in the teens. I prefer this sort of winter to balance out the hot, but it seems most don't...LOL!

As far as political views go--I, like most other native Texans, tolerate other (liberal) political views, as long as someone doesn't get in my face about it.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:34 AM

Thank you Cathy-- Texans seem to be sooo friendly- I appreciate all of the replies...

I think I can handle the hot weather vs. the kind of snow and bitter temps we are getting...

:=)

MRW

Old 02-02-2014, 10:50 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,886,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowers63 View Post
Thank you Cathy-- Texans seem to be sooo friendly- I appreciate all of the replies...

I think I can handle the hot weather vs. the kind of snow and bitter temps we are getting...

:=)

MRW
You're quite welcome!

Texas is generally a conservative place, but due to the exploding population (25 million and counting), it's shifting left (unfortunately). We even had conservative democrats at one time, but most of those have become Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas