Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 08:13 AM

437 posts, read 928,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Fats View Post
Quoting:

"...I left before water rationing in 2007, but I was there during some of the driest years on record. You never did answer my question in another thread--how long have you lived there yourself? I'm just trying to understand your perspective and from where you are coming.

Gardening in drier areas does indeed have its challenges. You have to work with less water, high winds, excessive and prolonged heat--I gardened in both Midland and Alamogordo, NM (which presented yet another set of challenges, including colder nights and a shorter growing season).

No, it's not as easy as gardening in a higher rainfall area, but to tell people that you can't garden in West Texas is very misleading. You ju
st have to adapt..."

You are welcome to disagree, but no, I am not misleading anyone about the "gardening" situation here. Things change in 7 years. And bye the bye, I don't haunt these forums, so DMs are the best way to contact me with any questions. I'm really not interested in other forum members "vetting" me in some way, though. I'm interested in trying to give and receive pertinent information on the various threads.

I live in West Texas and have grown a garden every year since forever. Not difficult if you have a water hose in the vicinity and aren't trying to grow rice or some such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 02:30 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,464,952 times
The tax system in Texas is anything but conservative. Income is not taxed, but wealth is taxed-- property tax is about 3%. When you see a house price, figure that over 3 decades you'll pay that value yet again in taxes. Keep that in mind when you're thinking about cost of living.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,294,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
The tax system in Texas is anything but conservative. Income is not taxed, but wealth is taxed-- property tax is about 3%. When you see a house price, figure that over 3 decades you'll pay that value yet again in taxes. Keep that in mind when you're thinking about cost of living.
Texas is definitely in the Top Ten states when it comes to percentage of the value of property that the owner will pay in property taxes:

New Jersey - 1.89%
New Hampshire - 1.86%
Texas - 1.81%
Wisconsin - 1.76%
Nebraska - 1.70%
Illinois - 1.73%
Connecticut - 1.63%
Michigan - 1.62%
Vermont - 1.59%
North Dakota - 1.42%

However, keep in mind that when that property costs MUCH LESS in Texas than in, say, Connecticut, that the actual cost is evened out somewhat.

For instance, the average sales price of a home in New Jersey in 2013 was $384,000. The average sales price for a home in Connecticut in was $604.000. The average sales price of a home in Texas was $230,000.

So - respectively, the average property tax for each of those states on the average home would be:

New Jersey - $7258
Connecticut - $9845
Texas - $4163

Plus - no state income tax.

We are considering a move to Arkansas from Texas. Though the property taxes are very, very low, and housing prices are comparable, maybe even LOWER than in Texas, the state income tax means that to maintain our same standard of living will cost us about $7000 MORE in Arkansas. Something to consider.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,879 times
thanks for all the great information, this thread is very interesting! I'm a conservative native Californian hoping to escape the leftist utopian dream in the near future and looking toward central Texas. To the original poster: good luck with your move!

Old 02-07-2014, 01:30 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,995,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catocate View Post
thanks for all the great information, this thread is very interesting! I'm a conservative native Californian hoping to escape the leftist utopian dream in the near future and looking toward central Texas. To the original poster: good luck with your move!
Waco's conservative and a good town.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:47 PM

334 posts, read 587,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
I live in West Texas and have grown a garden every year since forever. Not difficult if you have a water hose in the vicinity and aren't trying to grow rice or some such.

Nope. Wrong.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:27 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,005,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
The tax system in Texas is anything but conservative. Income is not taxed, but wealth is taxed-- property tax is about 3%. .
I don't think so.

I own residential property in Travis county and in Galveston county. The overall property tax rate (city, county, schools, drainage, etc.) is more like 2%, not 3%.

My primary tax payment to the state of Texas is a 6.5% state sales tax. Businesses pay a state tax on property, but residential folks do not.

There is not state tax on "wealth"; investments, other than real estate, are not taxed by the state or by local governments.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:11 AM

30 posts, read 44,894 times
We took a trip to Rusk last Sunday. It's a very small town with lots of trees and it happens to be where my wife went to High School. While in a grocery store in Rusk I asked a gentleman if he likes living in that town. He immediately replied "H*ll no! I'm from Los Angeles." His answer told me that Rusk is great for conservatives. If I had been quick-witted enough, I would have told him that he would love Dallas. The Libs from other states have pretty much taken over that city and their influence seems to be spreading, unfortunately, through the DFW metroplex. My wife says this isn't the Texas she remembers but I reminded her that it just might be a matter of where we landed - in Bedford, between Dallas and Fort Worth.

Bedford itself is nice, at least the part we live in, but it's location isn't so great. Perhaps we've reached the age where we want to live in a small rural conservative REMOTE town. We've lived in Texas now for almost a year and we both have decent paying jobs. We came from the conservative northern half of Nevada.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:51 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,471,435 times
Tyler is nice, so is Nacogdoches, Lufkin for smaller cities in east Texas. When moving look for where you can get employment first, then look for housing in a reasonable commuting distance. For example, in DFW, we have people commuting from Tyler and Athens to the east, Ardmore , OK to the north, etc.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:05 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,225,482 times
Just curious -- on a day to day basis, how is your (ugh) life impacted by the prevailing liberal values of your community?

I can't help wondering, because I am liberal and I live in Texas, and my day to day life is not impacted at all by the political leanings of people who live around me. Nothing is any different in my daily life. compared to the more liberal state I moved here from. So, when I get on a bus with 20 people, 11 of them are conservative, instead of 9. So what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas