Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Texas (Dallas or Houston) or Florida (Tampa Area or Orlando Area)
Texas (Dallas Area) 12 30.77%
Texas (Houston Area) 6 15.38%
Florida (Tampa Area) 4 10.26%
Florida (Orlando Area) 0 0%
Florida (general) 9 23.08%
Texas (general) 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 03:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowen3 View Post
I am looking to move to Florida (Tampa area to Orlando) or Texas (Dallas or Houston). I am more curious about the enjoyment of day to day life; opinions as to which place was most enjoyable to live. I would like to see posts from people who have lived in, at least, two of the locations listed. Just seeking opinions in regard to which place they liked the best (and maybe a short blurb why). Thanks.
If you love the beach..Florida hands down.

If you hate humidity ..Texas hands down.

I've live in both Florida and Texas.
I miss the Florida beaches but that's all I miss of Florida.
And I do love living in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 04:18 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,214,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowen3 View Post
What are your thoughts about the Houston market? New construction projections, sales activity, etc...
We are nuts. New, re-sale. Our economy is solid and we are out-growing our supply. Builders cannot keep up. Sometimes we have to extend option periods to be able to get an inspector on time. Appraisals are being ordered as early as possible, in order to close on time. Heard Dallas was not as frenzied, but solid.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:29 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,641,493 times
Not wanting you down here if you're a Stealer fan!

Honestly I think Houston has the better economy. Florida is eat up with people from the northeast which would make my decision easy!

Does the wife need a job too?

Old 08-25-2013, 06:24 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,933,779 times
Florida is mostly the theme parks and the beach. That's about it. Its tough to afford to live there as many jobs don't pay much and the work ethic isn't much. Texas is THE place to be, growing, expanding economy, good jobs and good pay, and still all kinds of different landscapes, history, scenery.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:25 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Miami if you are looking to party nonstop. Like if you like everyday all day ridiculously sexy drunkass half-naked bimbos throwing themselves at you, parties, music, utterly insane people all over the place, scams, creeps, voodoo, ocean, fishing, all at the most beautiful place in the USA. Totally lunacy - totally nuts, unabashed wildness.
Except for the most beautiful place part you can get all of that in Galveston for 1/4 the cost of Miami Beach.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:37 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Out of the choices listed, Tampa can probably be the most enjoyable at times IF you live close to the water. However, for daily living and taking into account EVERYTHING like weather, housing, temperature, traffic, cost of living, etc... Dallas wins.

Orlando is simply a mess. Traffic is absolutely horrible, the only draw there is Disney and Universal, and once you've been there... No reason to return. You're about 2 hrs from the beach there, so you get none of the benefits of living on the coast, but get all of the downsides (horrible humidity, rain almost every day, hurricanes, high insurance prices.)

Best places to be in FL is either Naples or Miami, and it's extremely pricey to find a nice home near or on the water.

Dallas, while not having a beach close by, gives you great weather with very little humidity, it's a central hub for traveling all over (much easier to get to Cali or Vegas from Dallas than FL,) no threat of hurricanes so cheaper insurance premiums, better bang for your buck with housing (though admittedly, FL values have dropped a TON so it's more comparable now), more retail, better infrastructure and planning for roads and city centers, and plenty of things to do in the area.

Houston is more humid, the traffic situation is much worse, and there just isn't much of anything that makes it stand out over Dallas. Obviously, you're closer to the beach in Houston, but that's about it.
Please stop right there.

Anywhere east of the I-35 corridor is going to be super humid, it just becomes more noticeable the closer you are to the Gulf.

The trade off is barren & dry or lush & green. Dallas falls in between those two while Houston is the latter.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you love the beach..Florida hands down.

If you hate humidity ..Texas hands down.

I've live in both Florida and Texas.
I miss the Florida beaches but that's all I miss of Florida.
And I do love living in Texas.
See my post above.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:13 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,487,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Except for the most beautiful place part you can get all of that in Galveston for 1/4 the cost of Miami Beach.
Really? I'm skeptical. Never heard of Galveston being the party capital of the world. More like the wiped out by another hurricane capital. Wife took the kids there twice. Pics were undramatic. She didn't say there was much going on.

There is nothing undramatic about SoBe.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:32 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,514,477 times
Quote:
Really? I'm skeptical. Never heard of Galveston being the party capital of the world. More like the wiped out by another hurricane capital. Wife took the kids there twice. Pics were undramatic. She didn't say there was much going on.

Miami and Florida in general are much more prone to being hit by hurricanes than the Texas coast. Get your facts straight. If you are still referring to that hurricane 113 years ago get over it. A cateqory 5 hurricane has never hit Texas. Miami and Florida cannot say the same thing.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 08-25-2013 at 10:14 PM..

Old 08-26-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:

From Spring Break on till the end of Summer, yes, Galveston turns into a party town. So for almost half of the year Galveston is having a good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas