Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Texas (Dallas or Houston) or Florida (Tampa Area or Orlando Area)
Texas (Dallas Area) 12 30.77%
Texas (Houston Area) 6 15.38%
Florida (Tampa Area) 4 10.26%
Florida (Orlando Area) 0 0%
Florida (general) 9 23.08%
Texas (general) 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 03:59 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,480,772 times

Advertisements

Florida has a lot to offer, but I personally do not care for Florida's (1) high humidity, bugs and terrible stinch close to any waterways, lagoons or coastal water, (2) the multitude of people from [especially] the NE calling FL home, along with the snowbirds, (3) tons and tons and tons of old people, and (4) decades of [way] over-hyping the state that I personally think is anything but special.

As for Texas - it also has a lot to offer. But there is one thing in particular that no other state can come close to matching...the pride of being a Texan or living in Texas. You will never ever see any other state fly their state flag alongside the U.S. flag like Texas does...and you will never see any other state's symbol hung with pride like you see the Texas Star. Texas is truly special!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 05:57 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,574,816 times
I've spent a lot of time in Florida. I prefer Texas and its no comparison.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:54 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,175,262 times
^Agree.

For vacation, Florida hands down. For day-to-day living, you're better off in Texas. The employment opportunities, the economy, the educational opportunities, the arts, the dining scene, the central location with two convenient airports, and the friendlier people all make living in Dallas the better option.

Visiting Florida and living in Florida are two very different things. That might seem obvious but, after living in Florida, I ran into lots of people who were seduced by the beaches, the sunrises/sunsets, the scent of jasmine, the jacarandas in bloom, the all-night clubs, the fleeting relationships and the sense of transience you get in a tourist economy. But they ultimately ended up regretting making the move, some because they ran into a brick wall in terms of their careers.

I enjoyed my time in Florida but, by the end, I was ready to get out.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:08 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,512,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowen3 View Post
I am looking to move to Florida (Tampa area to Orlando) or Texas (Dallas or Houston). I am more curious about the enjoyment of day to day life; opinions as to which place was most enjoyable to live. I would like to see posts from people who have lived in, at least, two of the locations listed. Just seeking opinions in regard to which place they liked the best (and maybe a short blurb why). Thanks.
You do realize that you posted this poll in the Dallas Forum, don't you ? So don't be surprised that you get more people saying Dallas is the better place. I'm curious if you really do (and how) have this extraordinary choice of where to live, or if you are just baiting this forum for the fun of watching Texans, and Floridians post against each other. If so you will not be the first...

Old 08-23-2013, 11:03 PM

14 posts, read 19,198 times
I do. I am new to posting items... rookie mistake, but; nonetheless, glad you pointed it out. I also have a similar post in the city vs city section (2nd post, after realizing there was a post for city vs city). I am seeking to relocate my family and business to a new area and have narrowed it down to the areas noted above. So, just as reassurance, yes this is a genuine post that is seeking opinions in an effort to try figure out which place would be a better choice. So, if you have any helpful information (in relation to the topic), I would love to read it. Don't forget to vote, if you haven't already.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:45 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,485,912 times
Miami if you are looking to party nonstop. Like if you like everyday all day ridiculously sexy drunkass half-naked bimbos throwing themselves at you, parties, music, utterly insane people all over the place, scams, creeps, voodoo, ocean, fishing, all at the most beautiful place in the USA. Totally lunacy - totally nuts, unabashed wildness.

You might also want to go to Florida to avoid this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
But there is one thing in particular that no other state can come close to matching...the pride of being a Texan or living in Texas. You will never ever see any other state fly their state flag alongside the U.S. flag like Texas does...and you will never see any other state's symbol hung with pride like you see the Texas Star. Texas is truly special!
Gak.

However, you might like Dallas for a more sensible middle of the road lifestyle. No beach, no resorts, no nature - but still a bunch of nice fun people from all over who have a pretty time together living working and playing fairly nicely - in an atrociously inhospitable climate. It's a very indoor city, but AOK. Just don't feed the boasting natives. They'll get all riled up.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:13 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,512,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowen3 View Post
I do. I am new to posting items... rookie mistake, but; nonetheless, glad you pointed it out. I also have a similar post in the city vs city section (2nd post, after realizing there was a post for city vs city). I am seeking to relocate my family and business to a new area and have narrowed it down to the areas noted above. So, just as reassurance, yes this is a genuine post that is seeking opinions in an effort to try figure out which place would be a better choice. So, if you have any helpful information (in relation to the topic), I would love to read it. Don't forget to vote, if you haven't already.
I see they moved you into the Texas forum, now you are in the right place.

As far as your work is concerned Texas is definitely the batter place seeing there is more housing and housing construction in the Texas areas you listed as opposed to your Fla locations. I'm sure there are more real estate transactions going on here than there. Texas is also probably an easier regulatory environment as well.

As far as quality of life issues, that depends on what recreational opportunities are important to you. Fla is hard to beat, but if coastal types of activities are what floats your boat, the Houston area offers not only the Gulf, but Galveston Bay as well. So if skiing, fishing, boating, yachting lol ect are important to you, then the Houston area would be your best bet. If not either Texas location is about the same.

If you are wanting to avoid cold weather, again FLA is going to be hard to beat, but of your Texas choices, Houston will have an edge in this category. However if Humidity is what you want to avoid, Dallas is the better choice.

If you like Hunting, Texas is the clear winner here as well. I'm not an expert in hunting locations so I will leave it at that.

As far as cultural amenities both Texas cities will be far above what you would find in those FLA locals you listed.

To sum it up I think either Texas location would be better for you, IMO with a edge going to Houston. surprise, surprise

Old 08-24-2013, 09:34 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,211,463 times
A good question is how is housing selling? Since you are an appraiser, that will tell you how your salary is going to look.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:49 AM

14 posts, read 19,198 times
Default Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
A good question is how is housing selling? Since you are an appraiser, that will tell you how your salary is going to look.
What are your thoughts about the Houston market? New construction projections, sales activity, etc...

Old 08-25-2013, 02:56 PM

933 posts, read 1,534,861 times
Florida, then Houston with Dallas last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas