Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 01:32 PM

37 posts, read 86,238 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I have a young family from Wisconsin. Me my wife and one child 9 years old. We are considering moving to a warmer climate and a larger city to have a better selection of jobs and quality of life. We have lived in Wisconsin our whole lives and the winters are really bad. My wife has a bachelors degree in business administration managment, I have a small business as a kitchen exhaust cleaner. ( I clean restaurant hoods). I plan on running a kiosk in the mall. I am a serial entrepreneur. I have done alot of research and I cannot decide on which is the best place for my family, maybe you can assist me. Anything helps. Thanks.

1. Warmer climate I would prefer to take my family out for a bike ride or golfing all year round.

2. Job market - Looking for a city with a wide variety of jobs and a great area to launch a business.

3. Economy - I want a area where the economy is going strong considering I want to launch several businesses.

4. Beach and Lakes - Would love to find an area with great access to beaches and lakes for boating.

5. Crime Rate - I understand the larger the city the larger the crime rate, but I dont want to be scared for my wife to go by herself or my kids as well.

6. Affordability- Being in a decent price range would be a nice asset. Can not afford California or I would choose san jose or san Diego.

7. Family Fun/Couple fun - A place where me and my wife can go out and have fun on the town and my family can have fun on the town.

Thanks for all your help. We have thought and done research on several cities. We have thought about houston, austin, fort worth, tampa st. petersburg area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 03:34 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Austin has all those things...although you'd be at the lake vs. at the beach. There are plenty of lakes but the beach is 4 hours away. Houston would be another good option and closer to the beach.

I would think Texas would win over Florida in terms of job market and economy.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:08 PM

325 posts, read 1,020,534 times
Default I'm from Wisconsin too.

My husband and I are moving to the Houston area. I have been researching Texas and Florida for around 5 years now, traveling to both areas and READING these fantastic and helpful forums.

I had a strong leaning toward Texas because:
#1 The people are so friendly and nice and when you are leaving all your family behind, that is important.
#2 Cost of homes is overall less in Texas vs Florida
#3 Job market is better in Texas than Florida, I will need a job, my husband is transfering.

Overall, the people on the Texas forums sound so much happier than the Florida forums. I felt after reading the forums, when I would visit, I wasn't surprised by much after reading all the great comments by people.

Even though people say the Texas beaches are not as nice as Florida, I think day to day living is more important.

The big thing Florida had over Texas was the percentage of sunshine is greater in Florida then East and Central Texas, but Texas still wins for us.

Good luck to you. Please keep us informed on what you decide.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:36 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,063,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
My husband and I are moving to the Houston area. I have been researching Texas and Florida for around 5 years now, traveling to both areas and READING these fantastic and helpful forums.

I had a strong leaning toward Texas because:
#1 The people are so friendly and nice and when you are leaving all your family behind, that is important.
#2 Cost of homes is overall less in Texas vs Florida
#3 Job market is better in Texas than Florida, I will need a job, my husband is transfering.

Overall, the people on the Texas forums sound so much happier than the Florida forums. I felt after reading the forums, when I would visit, I wasn't surprised by much after reading all the great comments by people.

Even though people say the Texas beaches are not as nice as Florida, I think day to day living is more important.

The big thing Florida had over Texas was the percentage of sunshine is greater in Florida then East and Central Texas, but Texas still wins for us.

Good luck to you. Please keep us informed on what you decide.
I think you are making a very wise decision. I am in Florida and I will be relocating to Texas very soon. There isn't much I will miss about Florida. The beaches to me in Florida are mediocre. I prefer the beaches on the Pacific,over looking the mountains. No mountains in Florida. But I definitely agree with you hands down that the people in Texas are much more friendlier than those in Florida. I still haven't figured out why??

Old 03-23-2010, 07:00 PM

Chica,
For me, that makes me feel better about making the right choice. Thank you so much for that confirmation. I hope my fellow Wisconsinite makes the right move for them.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:52 AM

I still am not sure about texas. I have never been there, but I have been to florida. We all love florida. I am pretty sure we could make it in either area. I am a great business person and currently living in a 11 percent unemployment rate and we both are doing well. I really like the weather of florida so I might just give it a try and if it is as bad as they say Texas I will go.. LoL

Old 03-24-2010, 09:56 AM

I felt the same way until I visited Texas once. That was it for me, I was sold. My husband would go back and forth about Florida or Texas. Try to attend a church or function where you can really talk to people. I feel like I have made friends already, just from this forum. Someone from the forum even invited us to their home on our last visit after keeping in contact via this forum. Another is offering help when we get to Houston. I think that is incredible. I think Texans are GREAT! Good luck in your big decision.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:18 PM

I totally agree. I believe Texas overall does have a better sense of friendliness. Its just the fact is that my family is really into boating, water sports, and just being beach bums. We really enjoy the scenery. I am willing to make a second move if florida does not work out for us.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:35 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,063,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
I felt the same way until I visited Texas once. That was it for me, I was sold. My husband would go back and forth about Florida or Texas. Try to attend a church or function where you can really talk to people. I feel like I have made friends already, just from this forum. Someone from the forum even invited us to their home on our last visit after keeping in contact via this forum. Another is offering help when we get to Houston. I think that is incredible. I think Texans are GREAT! Good luck in your big decision.
I agree with you. The first time I visited Texas I was sold as well. I think the customer service there is impeccable. I was so amazed. And it seemed like everyone talks to you as if you are a friend, and they don't even know you. Florida isn't like that. I am not saying Florida is a bad state per se but it pales in comparison to the Texans hospitality. I don't know why Floridians seem more guarded and less friendly. I still am baffled. I am not saying that every Floridian is a grumpy old person, but the hospitality in my state of Florida isn't the same as Texas. I look forward to being a Texan soon

Old 03-26-2010, 12:40 PM

Let us know when you get to Texas. I hope you will Love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas