Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 07:28 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,355,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Do they pronounce Pedernales, Frugio and Gruene as spelled or as spoken?
Throughout most of my life, I wouldn't have been able to tell you how to pronounce either of these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 08:50 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,928,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
That's cool and all but Texas is changing and the accents are dying. Most people who are born and raised in the cities do not really have an accent. The youth in urban areas especially do not speak with an accent. Those accents are really only prominent in rural areas.
*ahem*

Young Dallasite, Dorrough:

Dorrough Interview with Crazie TV @ K104 Super Bowl Watch Party - YouTube

Sounds like an accent to me.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:29 PM

568 posts, read 902,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
*ahem*

Young Dallasite, Dorrough:

Dorrough Interview with Crazie TV @ K104 Super Bowl Watch Party - YouTube

Sounds like an accent to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I thought we had already agreed that they indeed do.
The op was not talking about southern urban accent. This thread is about the old accent. I've already had that discussion in this thread.

"The youth in urban areas especially do not speak with an accent."

Poor choice of words on my part.

Last edited by xsatyr; 09-26-2013 at 09:37 PM..

Old 09-26-2013, 09:45 PM

568 posts, read 902,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Check a map - it's true that Texas has a lot of large Cities that get a lot of attention in the media - we have always had a large immigrant/emigrant population .... it defines Texas. You either become a Texan or you don't. The lingo and accent creep into those that do remain and it may evolve, but it brings the sum of it's parts to that evolution. Try telling those folks that were "born and raised in Texas cities" that they are not "real" Texans because they were raised in a City. I never said anything about that... Do they pronounce Pedernales, Frugio and Gruene as spelled or as spoken? I guarantee you there are numerous ways people pronounce that. There are distinct "Texanisms" that transcend "accent".

Texas does "change" and has always done so ..... but on a basic level it doesn't "change" to wherever those who came here might want it to "change". They come and they go - But Texas remains Texas.

It works well.
On what basic level does it remain the same? Because culturally, socially and politically we are seeing some changes.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:43 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,826,588 times
Maybe the accent ain't dead yet!

Sandy Cheeks- Texas Song - YouTube

Old 09-27-2013, 06:14 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,519,396 times
I've noticed that most young people - especially girls - speak with the same flat, nasally accent from coast to coast. They hit their "a" as in "and" with this "E-and" sound. Or say "thanks" like "thinks". Sounds like they're all from Des Moines or something.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:35 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,826,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I've noticed that most young people - especially girls - speak with the same flat, nasally accent from coast to coast. They hit their "a" as in "and" with this "E-and" sound. Or say "thanks" like "thinks". Sounds like they're all from Des Moines or something.

Once "Valleyspeak" went nationwide, we were never the same!

Valleyspeak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas