Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 11:47 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,778,254 times

Advertisements

Any idea what it means when you see an approaching vehicle's lights flash on and then off, then on and then off and then a short pause and it starts again, on and off - on and off?

I still follow this practice (warning oncoming traffic that they are approaching an active radar), but I'm beginning to think most people don't have a clue as to what it means. I do see a few left who know what I am warning them of and they will give a wave of thanks as they go by me, but I'll tell you, it's getting to be less and less.

Maybe it's just the area I live in (DFW area) and it is still more active in other areas. I sure hate to see it die out, it has saved my butt a few times, that's for sure and I was forever grateful to the person who alerted me. Looks like people would be more than willing to return the favor.

Please note, this is just a post wondering how many are aware of this practice, it is not intended to start the age old debate of 'if you're doing the crime, you do the time' so to speak. You know what I mean here, just please, no posts about how you obey the law and never speed and if people cannot stay within the speed limits, they deserve a ticket. We all know that everyone is capable of slipping up at some time or other and just passing by a patrol car with an active radar gun is just as effective (well, almost )to slowing your butt down as a high dollar ticket is. I'll grant you, the high dollar ticket might encourage you somewhat more to keep an eye on your speed, but believe me, a close call also encourages you to watch your speed in the oncoming months as well because you know you got lucky and you might not be so lucky next time.

Also note, I am not some speed demon, nor do I approve of habitual speed demons. This is just a friendly warning for folks like myself who just happen to not be driving with one eye on their speed at the time for whatever reason and might be going a few miles over the posted limit.

So hopefully, there will be no sermons on the evils of speeding and the self-righteous statements of 'I don't ever speed and you shouldn't either and if you do, you should be hung, etc'. Let's just see who all is aware of the warning practice and what it means. Also, if you are aware of it, do you still do it or do you think that no one is going to return the favor, so why should I warn them? Hopefully not, but I'm afraid this might be the case and that's a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 12:21 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,888,632 times
It's been quite awhile since I've seen that, but every once in a great while, someone will do that! Used to be very, very common. Once CBs were the norm, you didn't see it so much, but now that they aren't, makes me wonder why it's not more common than it is!

Old 08-05-2012, 12:24 PM

45,467 posts, read 60,692,988 times
Flashing your headlights to warn oncoming motorists of a speed trap isn't just a Texas thing. Sorry.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Flashing your headlights to warn oncoming motorists of a speed trap isn't just a Texas thing. Sorry.
I never doubted that it was, but since this is a Texas forum and it is (or was) a tradition here in the state of Texas, I saw no need to include the question of how if it is common in other regions. I am only concerned with the Texas aspect of it.

But thanks for making this observation.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:45 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,867,650 times
I know what it means and I live in the DFW area.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:49 PM

407 posts, read 830,423 times
I did that one time, and a cop pulled me over and threatened to take me to jail. I guess I was interferring with his monthly ticket quota.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
It's been quite awhile since I've seen that, but every once in a great while, someone will do that! Used to be very, very common. Once CBs were the norm, you didn't see it so much, but now that they aren't, makes me wonder why it's not more common than it is!
Yep, CB handles and Smokey the Bear warnings. LOL I'm having an image of Burt Reynolds right about now.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance750 View Post
I did that one time, and a cop pulled me over and threatened to take me to jail. I guess I was interferring with his monthly ticket quota.
To jail? Wow! That was extreme. I think they can give you a warning or citation for interfering with their due process of whatever they want to call it. I don't know exactly how legal it would be and how it would stand up or even if it's true.

However, I do wait until I'm out of their eyesight before I start flashing my lights as it only makes sense anyway. If you're going to flash your lights as soon as you pass the patrol car, the oncoming car is already going to be clocked, so it is a mute effort.

Last edited by lonestar2007; 08-05-2012 at 01:11 PM..

Old 08-05-2012, 01:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,437,507 times
I know what it means - my Daddy used to do it all the time, and truckers would do it. However, it IS illegal and you WILL get a ticket if you're caught doing it. I always figured it made cars slow down which is the whole point, but perhaps it's illegal because it only makes them slow down until they've passed the cop and then they're right back up there speeding and so it actually defeats the purpose of keeping the highways safe.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:07 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,356,790 times
i think another reason that people are not doing that is that people get penalized for doing so, especially when the cops could see that you're doing that. one time my bf and i went on a long trip from waco back to tyler, a truck signaled us that a cop was behind him. the cop was actually behind him by a few miles, and he was lucky not to have been pulled over for that. it's a new law now here in tx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas