Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:24 PM

15,443 posts, read 21,462,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
The best bet is to stick to the 75 mph Interstates. Avoid driving thru the small towns at all costs.
Sometimes even that doesn't work. My primary home is in New Mexico so I keep NM tags on my vehicles and trailers. The past three times I have gone through the Sweetwater area on I-20 with a trailer, I have been stopped and my tags run. No tickets yet but it is a nuisance. I've just stopped driving through Sweetwater and Abilene areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 03:06 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,062,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Sometimes even that doesn't work. My primary home is in New Mexico so I keep NM tags on my vehicles and trailers. The past three times I have gone through the Sweetwater area on I-20 with a trailer, I have been stopped and my tags run. No tickets yet but it is a nuisance. I've just stopped driving through Sweetwater and Abilene areas.
Why are you being stopped? profiling?

Old 08-08-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Why are you being stopped? profiling?

I seem to get stopped a lot whenever I'm in west Texas with my NM tags. However, only twice did I get tickets but that was because I was speeding once and once for not wearing a seat belt.

Profiling in the sense of race, gender, or some social aspect or appearance doesn't seem likely in these stops. Selecting for easy out-of-state money to bring to their coffers seems more likely. When I got the seat belt ticket, I was first asked by the local judge if I lived in the area. Although I had a home, and some commercial property, in the small town, I said no because I lived in neither. She then slapped the highest fine I've ever heard of for a seat belt ticket. I have since sold most of my property in that particular county and am working on selling the rest.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:44 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,062,591 times
Quote:
I seem to get stopped a lot whenever I'm in west Texas with my NM tags. However, only twice did I get tickets but that was because I was speeding once and once for not wearing a seat belt.

Profiling in the sense of race, gender, or some social aspect or appearance doesn't seem likely in these stops. Selecting for easy out-of-state money to bring to their coffers seems more likely. When I got the seat belt ticket, I was first asked by the local judge if I lived in the area. Although I had a home, and some commercial property, in the small town, I said no because I lived in neither. She then slapped the highest fine I've ever heard of for a seat belt ticket. I have since sold most of my property in that particular county and am working on selling the rest.
That's disgusting! I'm so saddened to hear that. I read once that NM license tags cost much less than Texas, although I don't even Texas' are that high compared to Calif where I used to live. Maybe they're trying to get you on that? Had you answered that you lived there, but never changed your tags, they would have written you up for not registering the vehicle in Tex.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Had you answered that you lived there, but never changed your tags, they would have written you up for not registering the vehicle in Tex.
Truthfully that had never crossed my mind until I sat here writing that last reply. She had my tag number and information in front of her when I called her office to see what my ticket was going to cost. I guess that's something I will never know for sure but based on her slamming me for not living in the community the way she did, you are probably right.

And yes on the price of vehicle registration. I have two equipment trailers that cost me $100/ea for lifetime registrations in NM. Also, if I decide to sell this equipment, the buyer can transfer the lifetime registration to himself for $5.00.

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 08-08-2012 at 06:52 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 10:36 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,940,263 times
Quote:

I had been driving back and forth from NM to TX for 4 years, with NM tags.

I had never taken my old Texas inside windshield stickers off, and never thought anything about it.

I was stopped in El Paso, had to wait 15 minutes while he ran all that information through (or whatever he had decided to do in the meantime while he was making me wait).....I got a warning ticket for having expired TX sticker, even though my NM tags were properly registered.

As soon as I got home to TX, I removed the old stickers.....what a waste of time on a hot afternoon (getting stopped)!

Old 08-09-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
.....I got a warning ticket for having expired TX sticker, even though my NM tags were properly registered.

As soon as I got home to TX, I removed the old stickers.....what a waste of time on a hot afternoon (getting stopped)!
It does seem sort of ridiculous since your vehicle was obviously registered but at least he only gave you a no-cost warning. I think these guys look for the window stickers as they approach you on the highway. Since New Mexico doesn't have any stickers, it was confusing so he stopped you. The ticket was just to entice you to get rid of your Texas stickers.

I still have a home in New Mexico and still maintain my driver's license and registrations there. States like to think the national borders end at their state lines but, for people who live near interstate borders, they don't. If I were to switch everything to Texas because of our Texas farm, I would then be in violation of New Mexico law. It's a bad situation when you have feet in two states.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:50 AM

23,039 posts, read 34,491,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Flashing your headlights to warn oncoming motorists of a speed trap isn't just a Texas thing. Sorry.
It used to be, but not anymore.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:53 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,940,263 times
Quote:
It does seem sort of ridiculous since your vehicle was obviously registered but at least he only gave you a no-cost warning. I think these guys look for the window stickers as they approach you on the highway. Since New Mexico doesn't have any stickers, it was confusing so he stopped you. The ticket was just to entice you to get rid of your Texas stickers.

I still have a home in New Mexico and still maintain my driver's license and registrations there. States like to think the national borders end at their state lines but, for people who live near interstate borders, they don't. If I were to switch everything to Texas because of our Texas farm, I would then be in violation of New Mexico law. It's a bad situation when you have feet in two states.
It does get weird, doesn't it? I own property in 3 states (TX, CO, NM), and I'm struggling with whether I want to come home to TX, and sell the others.

But I know I still wouldn't like the summers even in Alpine (though it is cooler than most of the rest of the state).

I was on highway 380 headed for Carrizozo, and someone flashed their lights at me. I was driving about 5 miles above the speed limit, since that road has dismal speed limits, but never saw a cop. I think they were just playing with me or something!!

That was the only time I have ever seen that in NM!

Old 08-09-2012, 10:45 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,616,688 times
I still do it.
And I wait till I pass the cop - not dumb enough to do it when he could see.
Also, don't do it when it might blind another car.
Time and place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas