Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:56 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times

Advertisements

The latest posts bring up an interesting point (which might even be the basis for a poll idea later! LOL).

That is, what single factor do you all believe is the biggest that has contributed to the general overall decline of the Texas/Southern accent in the state over the years? Is it the influence of northern/westcoast transplants...or the almost overwhelming flooding of the mass media to kids today?

Of course, there are others...but these two really stick out IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,971,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianreading View Post
Never seen a native Houstonian under the age of 40 who has a southern accent unless they grew up elsewhere and came back.
You've never been to the hood, then, lol.

No outsiders are moving to Acres Homes, Hiram Clarke, 3rd and 5th ward, south park, south bank, sunnyside et al.. That's why they've been talking the same way forever.

It's the same way in the Dallas hoods. I've always said that percentage wise, African-American Texans are maintaining their southern speech patterns at a higher percentage. This is mainly because outsiders aren't moving to the places AA's in Texas usually live in great numbers.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:06 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post

No outsiders are moving to Acres Homes, Hiram Clarke, 3rd and 5th ward, south park, south bank, sunnyside et al.. That's why they've been talking the same way forever.

It's the same way in the Dallas hoods. I've always said that percentage wise, African-American Texans are maintaining their southern speech patterns at a higher percentage. This is mainly because outsiders aren't moving to the places AA's in Texas usually live in great numbers.
There are some middle class areas in Greater Acres Homes, and there are some outsiders there (mostly Katrina evacuees and Hispanics), but what I was saying is that this area isn't dominated by transplants the same way places like Sugar Land and Clear Lake are.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:41 PM

568 posts, read 901,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
The latest posts bring up an interesting point (which might even be the basis for a poll idea later! LOL).

That is, what single factor do you all believe is the biggest that has contributed to the general overall decline of the Texas/Southern accent in the state over the years? Is it the influence of northern/westcoast transplants...or the almost overwhelming flooding of the mass media to kids today?

Of course, there are others...but these two really stick out IMHO.
Mass Media is the main contributor imho but transplants is right behind it. This monotone speech is not just prevalent in Texas where there is a booming population. It's happening everywhere with the young generation. Of course there are exceptions; Shain from Buckwild... R.I.P.

This is pure speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if people from rural areas watch less television. They are probably a lot more family oriented so their accents mimic their elders.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post

I live East of I45 by Jeff Davis HS and most of my friends are from 2nd/3rd ward which are predominately Mexican/black neighborhoods. Even some of my old friends from Trinity Gardens sound pretty normal. We are not really retaining southern speech. Some of them speak with a little urban slang and some have Spanish accents but that's because English was their second language so I have to disagree with you.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:54 PM

59 posts, read 110,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
I live East of I45 by Jeff Davis HS and most of my friends are from 2nd/3rd ward which are predominately Mexican/black neighborhoods. Even some of my old friends from Trinity Gardens sound pretty normal. We are not really retaining southern speech. Some of them speak with a little urban slang and some have Spanish accents but that's because English was their second language so I have to disagree with you.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. People living in the East End/2nd Ward seem to have more of a spanish accent than anything else.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:18 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,931 times
I've lived in Houston most of my life and it's always seemed to me that accents often tend to vary according to things like the social circles one travels in and parts of town one frequents. When I was an undergrad at UT-Austin, I met a young woman from Pasadena (TX) who couldn't believe I was from Houston. To me, she had a strong "Texas" accent and I don't -- according to what I'm told. (Unless I ask my friend from Brooklyn!)

Every once in awhile I hear a young woman speaking with a California Valley-Girl type accent, even though she is from a smallish town in Texas or somewhere in the midwest. Surely that's due to mass media.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
The southern accent is very much alive and well in Third Ward and Trinity Gardens, even with the young people.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
The southern accent is very much alive and well in Third Ward and Trinity Gardens, even with the young people.
I have to call bs on that. I know those areas too well.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I have to call bs on that. I know those areas too well.
Good for you. I know plenty of young people in/from those areas, and I certainly don't need anyone to tell me what I know.

Am I saying that every person there has a southern accent? No, but many if not most blacks of all age groups in this city most certainly do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas