Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 09:04 PM

770 posts, read 1,798,489 times

Advertisements

Although the new Texas License plates that have come out since a few years ago where a completely new and brightly colored design (digital red white and blue with the colors) I have seen numerous Texas plates that are simply black and white with the letters TEXAS at the top and then the vehicles license plate number and that is it.

What is up with these new black and white lettered plates?? Did the state decide to change the license plates again??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 09:46 PM

587 posts, read 961,524 times
Yep, the police said that the colorful plates where too hard to read.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:48 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Although the new Texas License plates that have come out since a few years ago where a completely new and brightly colored design (digital red white and blue with the colors) I have seen numerous Texas plates that are simply black and white with the letters TEXAS at the top and then the vehicles license plate number and that is it.

What is up with these new black and white lettered plates?? Did the state decide to change the license plates again??
I guess. I just recently got new plates and they came black and white. I was a little peeved.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:06 AM

770 posts, read 1,798,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
Yep, the police said that the colorful plates where too hard to read.
Really?? I am young but have somewhat poor eyesight at 20-40; but I can still read the colorful new plates at a distance of at least 40 ft. without glasses. Personally, I like the the new Texas plates (i.e. the colorful ones). The black and white ones are just as dull as the people that issued them.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:41 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,269,755 times
Quote:

The new general plates are White with Black lettering and designed to be retro looking. The plates you're describing sound like one of the custom/personal plates offered by the state.

For more infor a pictures:
MyPlates.com - Our Plates are street legal and officially licensed by Texas Department of Motor Vehicles

Old 07-20-2013, 10:59 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,993,376 times
I like them. I just got my updated B&W plates and I LOVE it. At first I thought they were only for new cars/recently purchased used cars but nope. It's very general and doesn't clash with anyone's car. I like that.

It is easier to remember the plate name with the pattern. 3 letters then numbers. If you witness something it's quicker and easier to remember ABC1234 than A2BC14C

I like that they started with the same first letter. All you have to remember is the car, color and letter letter letter, number number number number.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:24 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,816,702 times
The new black and white have been out for at least a year already. They have a digital strip in them if you look at the twisted, dna like, strand that goes vertical through them.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:27 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,005,607 times
Quote:

They are the most boring license plates on the planet.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:02 PM

220 posts, read 454,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I like them. I just got my updated B&W plates and I LOVE it. At first I thought they were only for new cars/recently purchased used cars but nope. It's very general and doesn't clash with anyone's car. I like that.
This, I went with custom Lone Star Black plates a few years back because I didn't want the fruity multi-color plates.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:39 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
Quote:
Actually the multi-colored plates are new. For many years Texas alternated each year between white letters on black background and black letters on white background. I have pics of my 1956 Ford in 1966 with white on black tags. However, I also have hanging in my workshop a 1952 Texas tag that is yellow on black and a 1949 tag that is black on yellow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: