Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 12:56 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
aaahhhh...I feel like the Grinch on Christmas day when his heart swells 5x bigger when he learns the true meaning of Christmas! You just made my day and I feel honored.
Welllll, gosh darn, Miss T...I bet there are at least a dozen Texas fellers on this forum that would either ride a bull, pick a row of cotton, or sing the Eyes of Texas, to Waltz Across Texas with You!

Same true with the lovely Miss BlueSkies, LoneStar, THL, and all the rest of the lovely ladies who make our Great State the "Pretty Wimmin State" State! Grins!

Ain't that right, boys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 02:15 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,370,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Welllll, gosh darn, Miss T...I bet there are at least a dozen Texas fellers on this forum that would either ride a bull, pick a row of cotton, or sing the Eyes of Texas, to Waltz Across Texas with You! Ain't that right, boys?
TexasReb....from your lips to God's ears!! (I'm counting on it!)

Old 05-26-2008, 08:02 PM

11 posts, read 33,476 times
Even Texans are loosing some valuable Texanisms. My Grandfather always said "cheer" when speaking about the split bottom piece of furniture on his porch. As in "Dew take a cheer".
When speaking of his porch he said gallery or verandah.
My Grandmother had a very unusual word, it was COMmenced with emphasis on the first three letters. "I Commenced laughing at your Grandpa".
Stan

Old 05-26-2008, 10:23 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
My husband says COMmenced. I think he started out saying it that way just to be funny, but now it's how he says it without even thinking about it.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:53 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Thumbs up Tayk'-see-us Wimmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Welllll, gosh darn, Miss T...I bet there are at least a dozen Texas fellers on this forum that would either ride a bull, pick a row of cotton, or sing the Eyes of Texas, to Waltz Across Texas with You!

Same true with the lovely Miss BlueSkies, LoneStar, THL, and all the rest of the lovely ladies who make our Great State the "Pretty Wimmin State" State! Grins!

Ain't that right, boys?
Three thumbs up!!

Old 02-09-2010, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Everyone knows us Texans don't have an "accent"! Its everyone else that tawks funny!
First of all, no. Second, are you purposely trying to embarass the state of Texas? You misspelled (spelled wrong) talks. You spelled it "tawks". Who does that? Please tell me you did this on purpose because misspelling talks and instead writing "tawks" is just plain stupid.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:16 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
I believe that the spelling of "tawks" in that context was, indeed, a joke. Typing with an accent while denying having one..

Old 02-09-2010, 11:15 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everhatingevery1 View Post
First of all, no. Second, are you purposely trying to embarass the state of Texas? You misspelled (spelled wrong) talks. You spelled it "tawks". Who does that? Please tell me you did this on purpose because misspelling talks and instead writing "tawks" is just plain stupid.
That post is pretty old......

Old 02-11-2010, 11:35 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,885,027 times
That was really good!

But not all of us Texans talk like that. Yes, I still have a drawl/accent, but I do pronounce my words correctly thought. Especially out here in Arizona (where everyone makes fun of my accent and always asks me, "Where you from anyway? You talk different"), I have talk a little bit proper for them to understand me here. But sometimes it comes out a little stronger when I go back home every year for a visit.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:33 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
That was really good!

But not all of us Texans talk like that. Yes, I still have a drawl/accent, but I do pronounce my words correctly thought. Especially out here in Arizona (where everyone makes fun of my accent and always asks me, "Where you from anyway? You talk different"), I have talk a little bit proper for them to understand me here. But sometimes it comes out a little stronger when I go back home every year for a visit.
Lina? I can sure appreciate all you say...but I think one of the saddest "mistakes" we Texans/Southerners make is to accept by default that OUR way of speaking is the one that is "wrong." That is, in terms of accent, and idiom, and inflection, and all. It is almost like we must proceed from that our dialect needs "correcting". Apparently, to be measured according to some bland "beta" mass-produced accent from somewhere in the midwest or something.

To hell with that. As the old Alabama song goes, "I'll speak my Southern Engish just as natural as please..."

I mean, I want to sound like I am FROM somewhere. And I want my children and grandkids to do the same. When I get together with fellow Texans/Southerners, I want to be around folk who talk alike and sound alike and know what "y'all, and "coke" mean and it's ok to pronounce salmon with the capital L! As in SaLmon, not sa'mon.

I like the way we Texans talk. And if it comes out "tawk"...then I am proud of that too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas