Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area feels larger?
Dallas MSA 32 37.65%
Houston MSA 48 56.47%
Tie 5 5.88%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 12:21 AM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
It may be out in the open, but it sits right outside of the main parts of the city. And the area appears very rural and is kind of covered behind trees, sometimes, I forget that's even apart of Dallas. Once you hit downtown dallas coming from the south, there's long stretches of new development lining the freeways.
Only I 45 is covered in trees, I 35E is developed when you enter the city limits.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:50 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
^ I doubt most of your "knowledge" and opinions for a number of reasons; your physical location is the least of them..

Recent U.S. Census Bureau data indicates the DFW Metroplex is larger than Greater Houston by over 500K residents. Therefore, DFW is larger and I concur.
That's fine.

At the end of the day it still doesn't help your cause or change the outcome of this thread that Houston feels & looks like the larger city & metro.

Dallas sure ain't winning this one. Its quite a gap I must say. I thought it would be a heck of a lot closer I guess I was wrong.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 07-24-2013 at 01:01 AM..

Old 07-24-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
That's fine.

At the end of the day it still doesn't help your cause or change the outcome of this thread that Houston feels & looks like the larger city & metro.

Dallas sure ain't winning this one. Its quite a gap I must say. I thought it would be a heck of a lot closer I guess I was wrong.
Have you ever put into consideration that there maybe more Houston posters?

Old 07-24-2013, 01:09 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,562,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
It would be interesting to compare how many Houston based posters there are vs Dallas. But that doesn't change the fact Houston is one large continuous city, not a bunch of small bedroom communities bunched together.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:16 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,562,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
^ I doubt most of your "knowledge" and opinions for a number of reasons; your physical location is the least of them..

Recent U.S. Census Bureau data indicates the DFW Metroplex is larger than Greater Houston by over 500K residents. Therefore, DFW is larger and I concur.
DFW may be larger, but the poster said Dallas.. Not DFW. Dallas' msa is almost 2 million people less than Houston's so your argument is void. And Dallas is way smaller than Houston when you don't include Ft Worth.. It's not even close.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
It would be interesting to compare how many Houston based posters there are vs Dallas. But that doesn't change the fact Houston is one large continuous city, not a bunch of small bedroom communities bunched together.
Let's be serious here, we all know that Houston is a sprawled mess. Continuous sprawl yes, city no.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:25 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
No

Houston just garners a lot more interest on C-D than Dallas does. Its quite obvious by looking at the number of posts & threads in the sub forums. Houston is more popular that's all there is to it.

Heck Houston even has more interest than Los Angeles & Chicago on C-D. Go compare the number of posts & threads for yourself. Numbers don't lie.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:21 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Question: Will the small pine trees that Houston has planted alongside the freeways grow tall, or are they the short kinds?

Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 AM

4 posts, read 4,478 times
DFW fans are, have always been and will always be jealous of Greater Houston because Greater Houston is in a coastal region. Like it or not, Houston is considered a coastal city. Nothing will change that so DFW'ers live in a constant state of insecurity and with chips on their shoulders. Doesn't matter what you build or where in DFW or Houston. Anything built in DFW can be built in Houston. But DFW will NEVER have short proximity to the sea and it KILLS them.

There is more variety in the landscape in the Houston region (beaches, bays, wetlands, lakes, forests, bayous, rivers, and coastal prairie). The art scene and museums are legendary. Houston's cultural diversity blows DFW out of the water. DFW only has scorched prairies, a flaccid, convoluted faux art scene and a culture that thrives on blandness. How boring.

You can insert the numbers where the sun don't shine. In the real world, Houston FEELS bigger, more urban and more dynamic. That's all that counts. PERIOD.

Last edited by Alphamale City; 07-24-2013 at 10:47 AM..

Old 07-24-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale City View Post
DFW fans are, have always been and will always be jealous of Greater Houston because Greater Houston is in a coastal region. Like it or not, Houston is considered a coastal city. Nothing will change that so DFW'ers live in a constant state of insecurity and with chips on their shoulders. Doesn't matter what you build or where in DFW or Houston. Anything built in DFW can be built in Houston. But DFW will NEVER have short proximity to the sea and it KILLS them.

Houston FEELS bigger. That's all that counts. PERIOD.
Moderator cut: Off topic

Anything in Houston can be built in DFW. So, what you said goes both ways. No one goes to Houston for a beach vacation because the beaches in the Metro area (specifically Galveston) are horrible. But I could have sworn a coastal city has beaches in their city limits.

Houston maybe a coastal city but it fails to draw the millions of people that go to the area just for the beaches like Miami and San Diego.

Last edited by Willsson; 07-24-2013 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: Off topic commentary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas