Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area feels larger?
Dallas MSA 32 37.65%
Houston MSA 48 56.47%
Tie 5 5.88%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 05:21 AM

507 posts, read 806,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentMimes View Post
Honestly, neither feel very urban unless you're in very select spots. They both sprawl on endlessly for miles and miles and if you didn't look at a city limit sign, you couldn't tell ithe difference in which city you were in. Home Depot parking lots look the same in Houston, Dallas, OKC, Lubbock, etc and majority of both metropolis are never ending strip malls.
^^^THIS! +1

Old 07-21-2013, 08:11 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Thats true.

I was driving back from Dallas a few weeks back and seen quite a few changes in Willis and Conroe. Lots of growth happening around that area, also looks decent with updated portions of I45 (so glad that's done). Both metros are huge and growing but I notice that entering Dallas via 45 does not give me a big city feel at all. No areas in the DFW area give me that feel except when I'm in DT Dallas, which is coming together quite nicely.
This is true....entering Dallas from the south is very rural feeling because of various reasons. But to be fair....if you think about it, To drive into Houston from Dallas you are entering fron the north and to be fair, if you enter Dallas from the north coming south on 75 from oklahoma it feels identical to entering houston on 45...all the way to dt Dallas.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:11 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentMimes View Post
Honestly, neither feel very urban unless you're in very select spots. They both sprawl on endlessly for miles and miles and if you didn't look at a city limit sign, you couldn't tell ithe difference in which city you were in. Home Depot parking lots look the same in Houston, Dallas, OKC, Lubbock, etc and majority of both metropolis are never ending strip malls.
No one is talking about the cities being or feeling "urban".

We're talking about which feels bigger...

Old 07-21-2013, 09:13 AM

61 posts, read 113,651 times
Houston feels bigger.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:39 AM

92 posts, read 113,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
No one is talking about the cities being or feeling "urban".

We're talking about which feels bigger...
So which city feels more spread out? Take your pick, they both do

Old 07-21-2013, 01:12 PM

578 posts, read 1,227,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
It begins in Huntsville actually.

Add 20 miles to that 100.
Add 20 miles of forest and pasture land?
Attached Thumbnails
Which metropolis feels larger: Dallas MSA or Houston MSA?-huntsville_willis.jpg  

Old 07-21-2013, 01:18 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
This is true....entering Dallas from the south is very rural feeling because of various reasons. But to be fair....if you think about it, To drive into Houston from Dallas you are entering fron the north and to be fair, if you enter Dallas from the north coming south on 75 from oklahoma it feels identical to entering houston on 45...all the way to dt Dallas.
Somewhat except you can clearly see The Woodlands skyline from Conroe 10 miles away through thick forests you can't see Richardson's Telecom Corridor from Allen 10 miles away with a lot less trees. When you see those twin 450 footers in The Woodlands over the trees & 20+ lane freeways you know you're entering a HUGE city. You immediately get that vibe.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:44 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Somewhat except you can clearly see The Woodlands skyline from Conroe 10 miles away through thick forests you can't see Richardson's Telecom Corridor from Allen 10 miles away with a lot less trees. When you see those twin 450 footers in The Woodlands over the trees & 20+ lane freeways you know you're entering a HUGE city. You immediately get that vibe.
And if your not paying attention you could blink and miss those two very same buildings...It feels the same to to me.!

Old 07-21-2013, 05:15 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
To a certain extent yes, but Houston still feels larger. I've been spending quite some time in DFW the past few months due to work and 75 is my main road while driving there and I understand where you are coming from, but driving on 75 kind of reminds me of 290 in Houston.

Quote:
I agree Matt, I get that vibe entering all sides of Houston (so so on I10 East). Seeing those Anadarko towers in the Woodlands and those buildings in Greenspoint do help give off a bigger feel.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:12 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Yeah 290 is the best comparison to 75. I didnt think about that one. I-10 east is close too but there aren't enough buildings, but at night you see a ton of refinery lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas