Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 07:43 AM

4 posts, read 15,257 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family is moving to galveston on very short notice for a surgery for our newborn. I need advice on an elementary school for our 1st grader in the galveston county area. My husband will be stationed on galveston island but we don't have to move to the island so schools close by will be great too. ALso if there are renter agents in the area for month to month rentals.

Thank you for your help.
Briel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 08:54 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Galveston ISD is probably not all bad, but it does have a bad reputation. When you say "stationed", I get the impression your husband is Coast Guard and will be at the Galveston MSO. A lot of the Coastie folks live in Friendswood or League City (both better school districts) and make the drive every day. The drive from those locations is not a bad one. If you like small towns, Santa Fe or Hitchcock may be more up your alley. Don't know enough about specific schools in Galveston ISD to give a recommendation but I do know that they are shutting several of the elementary schools down after this year.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:08 AM

Thank you. Yes. my husband is Coast Gaurd. We were looking at Dickenson too. Anything on that area? I think he will comute to the island. So the suggetions are much appreciated! If you have anything else for us please let me know.

Briel

Old 11-08-2007, 10:11 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
For most people with families, inland a bit is preferrable to living on the island. Diskenson, Clear Lake, Friendswood, Webster, and League City are all places to look at. I would personally avoid La Marque and Texas City due to the chemical plants/refineries in the area, but that is a personal choice. The commute down to Galveston is really not that bad if you have easy access to I-45. Pearland and Alvin start getting a little more difficult.

As for the childrens hospital down there, it is top notch and the reason I have an older brother .

Btw, Texas Schools is a great resource for some basic information on schools and districts.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 11-08-2007 at 01:53 PM..

Old 11-08-2007, 01:50 PM

Thank you! The hospital will be wonderful I am sure of it! Thank you for your help.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:04 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
If you do look in Galveston proper, Oppe Elementary school has done very well rating "exemplary" status. Check it out.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:22 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
The commute down to Galveston is really not that bad if you have easy access to I-45.

Tell that to my wife.

I should say the commute to Galveston is ok. Coming home, from Galveston to League city is ok too. But once you get to Webster/Friendswood and then Houston (Clear Lake) it's a completely different story. Part of it is due to the construction; the other part is well... it's Houston! Also the BayBrook Mall at the crossroads between Houston, Webster and Friendswood.... which makes it hellacious getting home to Clear Lake during Thanksgiving to New Years. But her paycheck is worth it.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:44 PM

Ok so are there any private schools in those areas?

Old 11-28-2007, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,759 times
Default I too am looking to move to galveston.

Late 50's no kids with pets looking to move from big expensive Austin and uptight attitude to laid back beach area on Galveston? Is the crime rate going to blow us out of the water?
We like surfing (if swells) and mind our own biz. looking at house around 38th st area close to seawall. Will we be stolen blind or have neighbors who can't mind their boozed minds

Old 11-28-2007, 01:50 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,123,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
The commute down to Galveston is really not that bad if you have easy access to I-45.
There is another alternative. High Island ISD is a great (but tiny) district just up the peninsula. You would ride the ferry to Galveston, but that might be better than 45 on Mon-Fri. Weekends are when the heavy ferry traffic occours. Prices are very affordable in H-I, too. Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas