Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 06:20 PM

581 posts, read 928,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I heard a lot about this state park and like to hike with my dogs. Unfortunately its quite a drive from Houston...about 3 hours further than I had hoped. Just wondering if it would be worth it to head up there for a weekend of hiking and mountian biking?
If you can go to Big Bend instead, I'd recommend going there. Go highway 90 as it is the most scenic way. The people of West Texas are a bit thorny like the cactus, but they are very tolerant as everyone has a foot in poverty. There are four attractions in Big Bend with those being the mountains, the canyons, the deserts, and the river road in the State Park. Indeed, the canyons in Big Bend and more shear and deeper than is Palo Duro.

A weekend isn't enough time to spend at either Big Bend or Palo Duro as, by the time you get acquainted, it will be time to go. When there was talk of creating a national park, the two choices were indeed Big Bend and Palo Duro.

There is also the Guadalupe Mountains on the border of New Mexico that have Carlsbad located thirty miles a way. That is great too.

If you only have a weekend to spend, I'd recommend Possum Kingdom. It is a paradise located 60 miles west of Fort Worth. Be sure to check that it isn't burning to the ground before you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 07:08 PM

17,962 posts, read 13,932,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
beauty is in the eye of the beholder - or must we all abide by YOUR eye?
I guess somebody could prefer the Hill Country over the Himalayas or the Piney Woods over the Redwood Forest. Or the Texas gulf coast over the Riveria. Or the Brazos over the Nile or the Amazon.

You're right.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:09 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,850,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I guess somebody could prefer the Hill Country over the Himalayas or the Piney Woods over the Redwood Forest. Or the Texas gulf coast over the Riveria. Or the Brazos over the Nile or the Amazon.

You're right.
No, you are right, my apologies. If everyone says "jump off the bridge", it MUST be the right thing to do. Damn what you think by yourself about the idea. Likewise, if you say Palo Duro is ugly and Grand Canyon is better and if enough people agree, I should go to get my sense of esthetics recalibrated somewhere. Is there a pill I can take to fix that?

Old 06-28-2013, 08:41 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,879,090 times
Quote:
No, you are right, my apologies. If everyone says "jump off the bridge", it MUST be the right thing to do. Damn what you think by yourself about the idea. Likewise, if you say Palo Duro is ugly and Grand Canyon is better and if enough people agree, I should go to get my sense of esthetics recalibrated somewhere. Is there a pill I can take to fix that?
If I were to base it solely on drive time, Palo Duro would win out every time.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:00 PM

17,962 posts, read 13,932,259 times
Quote:
No, you are right, my apologies. If everyone says "jump off the bridge", it MUST be the right thing to do.
Well I suppose you would prefer to jump off a bridge over Texas FM Road 837 into Turkey Creek than jump off the Sunshine Skyway bridge.

By the way, I don't think Palo Duro is "ugly". It's just not as spectacular as the Grand Canyon. In Oklahoma we have a nice little canyon called Red Rock, but it doesn't compare to Palo Duro in any way shape or form. If anybody said they "prefer" Red Rock over Palo Duro........... you'd be the one laughing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas