Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 05:26 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,377,584 times

Advertisements

I recently discovered Palo Duro Canyon southeast of Amarillo. What a scenic treasure! I took 40 pictures and saw what looked like cat tracks. Do mountain lions live in the canyon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 06:44 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Palo Duro is the 2nd largest canyon in the US and quite a gem. There should be several kinds of wild cats there including mountain lions and black panthers.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Palo Duro is the 2nd largest canyon in the US and quite a gem. There should be several kinds of wild cats there including mountain lions and black panthers.
I'm not surprised. I did see a wild turkey and a very long snake that was yellowish or gold-colored. It was unlike any snake I've ever seen here in Tennessee, and I assume it was non-poisonous because of its slender head and sharp pointed tail.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:58 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,765,656 times
Palo Duro is a wonderful place, a brief respite from the flat and hot lands of the panhandle. I've camped there many times, had my first encounter with a scorpion thanks to my brother, chased a snake at night, and had raccoons rob me blind during the night. You could inquire of the National Parks and Wildlife Services, ask them about the cats, I'd bet they would tell you just about anything you want to know, or refer you to the appropriate website. Have fun, enjoy!

Old 05-31-2008, 10:52 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,236,659 times
To fully appreciate the canyon and what it meant to the Plains Indians and to the early settlers, you must research its history. The museum at West Texas A&M there at Canyon,TX is a good place to start. You will look at the canyon in a whole new light and have an even great appreciation of it.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:16 AM

958 posts, read 2,132,689 times
I moved from Grand Prairie in 2000 and now live in Happy, about 30 miles south sw of PD canyon. I know that bobcats live in the area and I was told once that other types of cats lived there also but I can't recall them.

If you come back you have to make plans to see the play "Texas" it's in an outdoor theater in Palo Duro canyon during the summer months and begins around dusk. It's well worth it.

Also if your going south towards Dallas-FT Worth on 86 through Tulia, there is Cap Rock canyon state park. You can follow 86 to Turkey, birthplace Of Bob Wills. Lots of history in the panhandle.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
To fully appreciate the canyon and what it meant to the Plains Indians and to the early settlers, you must research its history. The museum at West Texas A&M there at Canyon,TX is a good place to start. You will look at the canyon in a whole new light and have an even great appreciation of it.
Thanks for the info, GayleTX. I first learned about the canyon from a historical display at the interstate rest area near Allenreed on I-40. I am a trucker who has fallen in love with every part of Texas that I've visited. And the people are wonderful.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
I moved from Grand Prairie in 2000 and now live in Happy, about 30 miles south sw of PD canyon. I know that bobcats live in the area and I was told once that other types of cats lived there also but I can't recall them.

If you come back you have to make plans to see the play "Texas" it's in an outdoor theater in Palo Duro canyon during the summer months and begins around dusk. It's well worth it.

Also if your going south towards Dallas-FT Worth on 86 through Tulia, there is Cap Rock canyon state park. You can follow 86 to Turkey, birthplace Of Bob Wills. Lots of history in the panhandle.
Probably mountain lions or bob cats

Old 06-08-2008, 06:23 AM

52,685 posts, read 47,940,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I recently discovered Palo Duro Canyon southeast of Amarillo. What a scenic treasure! I took 40 pictures and saw what looked like cat tracks. Do mountain lions live in the canyon?
If you've got pictures, try to get them on here for us. We'd love to take a look.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:27 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,459 times
Yes, please do! I have not been to the Canyon yet but intend to some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas