Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 07:21 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,989,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Maybe not gays (though that's questionable), but definitely minorities. My mom's side of the family is from the NE and I still have relatives there. They are just as racist, and definitely more segregated, than people in the South (at least when it comes to blacks). Their claims to being non-racist mostly involve living in a state that didn't secede during the Civil War and also the fact that there wasn't government mandated segregation. It has nothing to do with the average person actually being less racist.

What they typically won't mention is that virtually none of the whites in the NE choose to voluntarily live in black or mixed neighborhoods. They self-segregate just like everyone else in the world does.
This is very true. CT is extremely segregated. Literally, 99% of the black population is concentrated to about 6 or 7 towns out of all 169 towns in the entire state. The other 163 towns are about 97% white. Even the city of Boston is like that. All the blacks live in one section, while the whites live in the rest of the city. It's strange. New England is supposed to be a socially progressive area, but in actual practice, it doesn't seem to be. Gay people, however, are fine everywhere, including rural areas. That's probably because it's harder to tell a gay person from a straight person than it is to tell a black person from a white person.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:40 AM

53 posts, read 74,460 times
In the South, it's not unusual to have an extended conversation with a stranger at Wal-mart, who may be black. That's probably the largest culture gap between the Northeast and South unrelated to geography; initiating an extended conversation with a stranger would be considered highly offensive in the Northeast, where people will assume you're drunk.

Sometimes, the strangers may turn out to have a hidden agenda of wanting you to come to their church. Just tell them you're happy with the church you go to (whether you go to one or not). In the Southeast, telling them you're Catholic will make them silent very quickly, lol.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:55 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,966,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorpus View Post
Sometimes, the strangers may turn out to have a hidden agenda of wanting you to come to their church. Just tell them you're happy with the church you go to (whether you go to one or not). In the Southeast, telling them you're Catholic will make them silent very quickly, lol.
Yes, all of this is true. Moderator cut: off-topic for this thread & forum

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-22-2012 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: Save it for the Religion Forum

Old 11-21-2012, 11:01 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,634,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
No chicken fried steak? I couldnt deal with that.
LOL That'd be a hell in itself, wouldn't it, buddy?

Old 11-21-2012, 11:24 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,231,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Hi. I'm a 28 year old gay male from Connecticut and planning a major relocation next month. I quit my job here and I'm just going to choose a city that I may like and move to it and start a new life. Too many people have suggested Texas for me, but when they say that, I think....seriously...Texas?

I have never been there, to any of the large metro areas. I do like how the cost of living is low, and that the job market is relatively strong, so with a master's in accounting and 5 yrs of experience, I can probably secure employment and eventually buy a small home.

But is Texas like they portray it to be on TV and movies? Southern accents, country music, rodeos, and all that stuff that I don't like or care for? I am not like that at all. I am a gay atheist who is moderate with politics. Would I fit into any of those metros? Dallas seems a bit too large for my tastes. Austin seems to be better. I prefer slow paced living.

I am a hardcore Northeastern yankee. What do you guys think?
Yes, you will encounter southern though more Texan accents anywhere - everywhere you go. You will be called darlin' by little ole ladies with blue hair. You will hear country music most anywhere you go unless you go somewhere that is there for something other than country music. Rodeos? You probably won't care to visit Fort Worth, but until you do, you haven't really experienced Texas.

As a gay atheist you will fit in just fine. There are neighborhoods where you'll feel like you were born to live there. Dallas is Oak Lawn. Houston is Montrose. Austin is 6th street. Okay, most anywhere in town though there's not a clearly defined gay community, gay is a part of -in town - culture of Austin. Note: It's just called weird.

As a moderate in politics you might be labeled a left wing nut. Bear in mind, a liberal in Texas might be a conservative in NYC. Seems you might already have an opinion of how to identify a conservative in Texas. So if you're looking for liberal activism... you'll be pretty lonely. Bring tequila. You'll find the attitude more like 'you can do what you damn well please, just not in my face.'

And be prepared. There's a church in every neighborhood. Just think of it as being more efficient for mating. The next morning you won't be surprised by how different your mate may look from the night before. And flags. If you don't like the Lone Star flag, you won't care for Texas.

Last edited by Willsson; 11-21-2012 at 11:37 AM..

Old 11-21-2012, 11:29 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,634,399 times
Quote:
The Northeast has an equivalent food of Salisbury steak.

I've seen Salisbury steak in the South, though people call it "meat loaf".
Interesting observation...and it seems to be one of those "areas" where regional idioms comes into conflict with one another. For instance, the "salisbury steak" thing? Down here (at least in my native experience), a "salisbury steak" and meatload are two different critters.

The former is something like a simple hamburger fried steak, served with gravy and lots of spices and such...whereas "meatloaf" involves quite a few more ingredients (tomato sauce, etc) and a more involved method of cooking. And is sliced in the final product.

On the other hand? It seems like -- from this perspective -- that what we call salisbury steak, really doesn't have much of a hold up there...? Or they are just one and the same up there?.

The Differences Between Meatloaf & Salisbury Steak | eHow.com

Old 11-21-2012, 11:42 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,947,688 times
I believe that the OP has enough information to make a reasonable decision, although an actual visit would be best ( outisde of the restrictions that time and money impose on all of us). If he wants his stereotypes reinforced, then that's the way he'll find them. It's almost a self-fulfilling prophecy. Oh he can just do his Don Quixote routine everywhere he goes, finding that the windmills always tilt if you lean hard enough on them...

Last edited by MassVt; 11-21-2012 at 11:53 AM..

Old 11-21-2012, 02:07 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,966,397 times
Every salisbury steak I have ever seen resembles a bowel movement on a plate. Needless to say, I am not a fan.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:16 PM

53 posts, read 143,264 times
I'm from California. And honestly, there are more liberals here in uptown Dallas than there were in the area of California that I was in (north of LA). You can't generalize about an entire state...

Old 11-21-2012, 02:17 PM

53 posts, read 143,264 times
Quote:
In the South, it's not unusual to have an extended conversation with a stranger at Wal-mart, who may be black. That's probably the largest culture gap between the Northeast and South unrelated to geography; initiating an extended conversation with a stranger would be considered highly offensive in the Northeast, where people will assume you're drunk.

Are you serious? It seems like everyone I know here is Catholic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas