Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:39 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times

Advertisements

Migol is pretty spot-on here, IMO. Though the more desirable areas of Houston are not cheap at all and some get sticker shock thinking it would be.

Those giving Austin the edge in job economy -- I would have to strongly disagree. Yes, our unemployment is low, but that's due a lot to the more economically homogenous population.
Without a doubt, Houston is the economic powerhouse of the state, with overall the best opportunities both to break in and move up. Most Fortune 500s in the state, as well as small businesses. And contrary to belief, not all energy/oil. None of my Houston friends have ever worked in that industry, they're all medical, tech, business consulting, manufacturing, professional.

As far as being cool, that's subjective, but the recent list did have some compelling data/reasons backing up Houston's high ranking. However, it will take a long time to change and update national perceptions, as misguided as they may be.

Dallas, though some love it, to me just feels too contrived and sterile for my liking. It doesn't have the quirky and free-spirited, laid-back vibe available in Austin and Houston. But to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
If you wanna be a normal well-to-do citizen with a real job and live in a real big city go to Houston or Dallas.

If you kinda want those things but also wanna party a lot and chill without following the "establishment" per se, then go to Austin. You can find both of these things in either cities but Austin caters more to that laid back bohemian lifestyle moreso than Houston or Dallas, while Houston and Dallas cater to people who just wanna be real and succeed in life without worrying too hard of being "cool", I guess.

Btw, people here are a little too biased on those list you've placed. I'll try my best not to, but here it goes.

Cost of living: Houston... by a lot
Job economy: Houston and Austin
Night Life: Austin... quite significantly even if people don't wanna admit, but if you want more diversity in nightlife then I guess I can see why Austin wouldn't be your pick, but pound for pound, Austin
Diversity (Black white, asian hispanic ...women) I like em all: Houston... by a whole lot.
Events (any special festivals): Houston and Austin
Activities (Go karting, race tracks: Dallas (I think Arlington is called "fun city" and there's a reason for that)
Entertaiment ( Comedy clubs, jazz clubs, concerts, Car shows: Austin and Houston
Weather (I prefer sunny days): meh, all major Texas cities are not significantly different in weather
Shopping (Which has the best and most malls, stores, and store diversity): Houston and Dallas
Restaurants: Houston and Dallas

I may have slighted Dallas a bit, or so it seems. Its just that whatever Dallas has Houston seems to have just a little more. Really, though all these cities are all great but different in very arbitrary ways. It's very difficult for anybody to explain it to you, so I'd take other's suggestion on here and go visit the cities yourself.

Houston is one of the most underrated cities in America by a lot, especially here on city-data. I would say though I'm a bit surprised Forbes named Houston the coolest city, mainly because I wouldn't call it the coolest city in America. It is a cool city though, don't get me wrong, just not the coolest. I wouldn't even put it ahead of Austin, but that's just me. Houston has other things going for it that puts it on another level. The food is some of the best food you will have there and its no surprise that others have said its the city where people eat out the most, or why its even made fattest cities list in times back. Food is seriously good there! On top of that there's lots of diversity and living there isn't really difficult, plus its got a beautiful skyline and its pretty green despite people's opinions.

I lived in Arlington for about 4 years when I was a kid that I can't really comment much on DFW anymore. All I remember about it is how many salvadoreans we knew and how much good salvadorean food we ate. I also remember Six Flags, Waterworld, yadda yadda.

Austin, well, let's just say, go there, make friends and get wasted on a weeknight then come back and let us know how that went.

Last edited by sxrckr; 08-03-2012 at 11:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 12:40 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
[quote=sxrckr;25470596 Those giving Austin the edge in job economy -- I would have to strongly disagree. Yes, our unemployment is low, but that's due a lot to the more economically homogenous population.
Without a doubt, Houston is the economic powerhouse of the state, with overall the best opportunities both to break in and move up. Most Fortune 500s in the state, as well as small businesses. And contrary to belief, not all energy/oil. None of my Houston friends have ever worked in that industry, they're all medical, tech, business consulting, manufacturing, professional. [/QUOTE]

You are absolutely right.
By Far Houston has been generating most jobs:

Annual Net Change in NonFarm Jobs, June 2011-June 2012: By MSA(10,000+ new jobs)
New York-Northern NJ-Long Island +116,000
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana +88,400
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown +85,000
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy +53,100
Dallas-Ft Worth-Arlington +51,600
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont +49,700
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue +45,500
Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale +45,300
Detroit-Warren-Livonia +40,000
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria +36,100
Chicago-Joliet-Naperville +34,300
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Fremont +33,900
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marrieta +32,200
Denver-Aurora-Broomfield +26,800
Minneapolis-St Paul-Bloomington +26,300
Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos +24,400
Tampa-St Petersburg-Clearwater +23,300
Cincinnati-Middletown +21,500
Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario +20,700
Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro +20,400
Columbus +19,000
Salt Lake City +18,400
Louisville/Jefferson County +18,200
Raleigh-Cary +16,500
Miami-Ft Lauderdale-Pompano Beach +16,100
Oklahoma City +15,500
Pittsburg +15,400
Lafayette(LA) +15,300
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington +13,700
Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill +10,900
Tulsa +10,800
Ft Wayne +10,600
San Antonio-New Braunfels +10,500
Omaha-Council Bluffs +10,200

Houston is much smaller than LA and generates as many jobs. Houston is powerful for its size. Not only the largest in Texas but the largest in the south by far. Southern Metros are bold and Texas ones are red and bold.

Here are the top GDPs:

5 Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX 420.4
6 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX 401.3

10 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA 283.8
11 Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL 260.0
23 Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC 117.8
24 Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL 115.2
29 Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL 105.0
32 Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, TX 94.0
35 San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX 87.6

Again Houston is the largest in Texas and the South. 420B compared to 94B for Austin is a huge difference. A 5% increase in Houston's economy is about 22B. That would be an almost 25% increase for Austin. so when you hear that Austin's percentage increase was the highest in Texas, that means little because of how small Austin's economy is in comparison.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:06 PM

370 posts, read 862,909 times
I am looking at the Fortune 500 companies in Houston and it looks heavily slanted towards Energy...

Fortune 500 2012: States: Texas Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

Dallas looks to have a more diverse corporate base than Houston.

Austin has only 1 fortune 500 company and one can argue Dell is in a dying business....Probably lots of government jobs in austin...

Not everyone works for a Fortune 500 company, but its a good indicator of how important energy is to Houston. And yes, I have several friends in Houston and almost all of them work for an energy company or something related to energy, especially those who didnt grow up in Houston.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:35 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
making a movie is not nightlife. No one says "Honey, lets go out and make a movie" unless it is something naughty which I can assure you there is also more here than in Austin.

How on Earth does movie making come into Nightlife?

I will reiterate, If going out to Movies is the OP's nighttime interest, then Houston has what Austin has and then some
I know. Sorry for the confusion. I was just commenting on another social aspect about Austin, not necessarily attributed to nightlife alone. Since you mentioned movies, I thought I'd give in another aspect of what makes Austin appealing.

I will say though that what Houston has is theater more so than Austin. I don't think Austin asks anything from Houston in the movie theater business. It's doing just fine with about 5 or 6 Alamo Draft House locations, Violet Crown Cinema and the Arboretum theater, not including the rest other theaters like AMC or Tinseltown. The only thing that Houston simply has over Austin is performing arts theater, etc. I would certainly give Houston the go-ahead there.

Last edited by migol84; 08-03-2012 at 02:43 PM..

Old 08-03-2012, 10:56 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,015,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
yeah that's true, Austin has a good bar scene but as good club scene.

other aspects of nightlife may include sports- Houston blows Austin away soundly there.
It may include Live Arts- Houston spanks Austin three times over there.
It may include dinner- see above
Movies- see above (yes we have Alamo draft house here and others like it)

what else do people do at night? Drag racing, Yeah go down Westheimer at night

Are there alot of dragstrips in houston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao View Post
I grew up and worked in Dallas, worked/lived in Austin, and spent alot of time in Houston. I now live in California, so here are my thoughts, for what they are worth.

Cost of living - Houston is the cheapest. Dallas next. Austin highest, but probably only 20%-30% more than houston.

Job economy - Houston and Dallas beat Austin. Houston is more energy based, Dallas has a more diverse corporate base, while Austin's economy is much smaller. Tech scene in Austin is exaggerated.

Night Life - I prefer the nightlife in austin, but probably more options in Dallas and Houston

Diversity (Black white, asian hispanic ...women) I like em all - Houston then Dallas then Austin. Austin is not diverse as its very White/hispanic.

Events (any special festivals) -See nightlife. I do like being able to see live music in austin.

Activities (Go karting, race tracks, ) See nightlife. Austin has better outdoors activities than Dallas/Houston

Entertaiment ( Comedy clubs, jazz clubs, concerts, Car shows,) See nightlife

Weather (I prefer sunny days) - I highly dislike Houston's weather, humidity, and bugs. Dallas is very hot while Austin is more humid than Dallas, but hotter than Houston. All three are very hot and uncomfortable in the summer and beyond.

Shopping (Which has the best and most malls, stores, and store diversity) - assume Dallas/Houston. Austin has the fewest options
Restaurants - Houston then Dallas then austin. austin's food scene outside of bbq and tex mex arent great.

I think the cities are more alike they than are different, especially to people from outside Texas. Personally, i would never live in Houston, despite its strengths, because of the weather, bugs, and my career options are limited there. I do agree on paper Houston is the biggest, and has more options because of that, followed closely by Dallas, and Austin.

For me, Austin has a certain youthful charm to it because of the University and the strange combo of bohemian/redneck lifestyles.

Dallas is my hometown, so i understand its strength and limitations. It's a bit of a wannabe Los Angeles which i find irritating
Houston going by what people say seems to be my best fit. Diversity, job economy and col is extremely important. I always did want to live in the big city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Migol is pretty spot-on here, IMO. Though the more desirable areas of Houston are not cheap at all and some get sticker shock thinking it would be.

Those giving Austin the edge in job economy -- I would have to strongly disagree. Yes, our unemployment is low, but that's due a lot to the more economically homogenous population.
Without a doubt, Houston is the economic powerhouse of the state, with overall the best opportunities both to break in and move up. Most Fortune 500s in the state, as well as small businesses. And contrary to belief, not all energy/oil. None of my Houston friends have ever worked in that industry, they're all medical, tech, business consulting, manufacturing, professional.

As far as being cool, that's subjective, but the recent list did have some compelling data/reasons backing up Houston's high ranking. However, it will take a long time to change and update national perceptions, as misguided as they may be.

Dallas, though some love it, to me just feels too contrived and sterile for my liking. It doesn't have the quirky and free-spirited, laid-back vibe available in Austin and Houston. But to each his own.

I'm already looking at the company I want to work for. There called sonic automotive and I would love to work at one of their dealerships.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:40 AM

370 posts, read 862,909 times
i would try to visit Dallas and Houston to see which you like better. Austin probably isnt a good fit.

Houston and Dallas are close enough on your important factors (Economy,COL, Diversity) where both warrant a look. On paper, Houston edges out Dallas on those, but not by a whole lot.

I dont know much about dragstrips.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:22 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times
Quote:
I dont know much about dragstrips.
Me, either... but will the Texas Motor Speedway|NASCAR & IndyCar in Fort Worth do?

Old 08-04-2012, 01:54 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
I am looking at the Fortune 500 companies in Houston and it looks heavily slanted towards Energy...

Fortune 500 2012: States: Texas Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

Dallas looks to have a more diverse corporate base than Houston.

Austin has only 1 fortune 500 company and one can argue Dell is in a dying business....Probably lots of government jobs in austin...

Not everyone works for a Fortune 500 company, but its a good indicator of how important energy is to Houston. And yes, I have several friends in Houston and almost all of them work for an energy company or something related to energy, especially those who didnt grow up in Houston.
Right now oil and energy are hot. That's going to propel Houston greatly. Dallas isn't as highly fueled by one industry, so it's never really going to have massive gains or losses. Houston is the worldwide center for energy and the city is highly dependent on it.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:32 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
/
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Right now oil and energy are hot. That's going to propel Houston greatly. Dallas isn't as highly fueled by one industry, so it's never really going to have massive gains or losses. Houston is the worldwide center for energy and the city is highly dependent on it.
You are misspeaking. DFW is fueled by one industry, but it is one of the most dependable industries. DFW was made by logistics. The Thing that keeps Chicago alive, the thing that blossomed the growth of west coast cities such as LA, SF, Seattle, Vancouver, etc is Logistics.

Logistics is hard to kill. It has a foundation in mega structures such as Sea Ports, Air Ports, rail, etc. Chicago has lost much by way of companies moving, and yet it survives based on its logistics.

ATL is the biggest thing in the SE although the city nearly died multiple times. The reaso is because of its logistics. It is fueled by other cities.

For DFW to die, you have to Kill Houston, San Antonio, Brownsville, Los Angeles, blow up DFW, flatten the seas of warehouses in the metro, basically kill all ties to Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, etc.

Oil is the major fuel, for Houston's growth, but logistics is undeniably DFW's biggest fueling factor. The Airport and the shipping industry isn't going anywhere, but can you imagine the hundreds of Thousands DFW would lose if those two were gone?

Old 08-04-2012, 05:59 PM

625 posts, read 1,133,897 times
I've noticed other 'segregation of income' threads, but haven't seen a head to head comparison btwn the Dallas and Houston maps. Too bad we don't have one here for Austin.

Both have a noticeable concentrations (Houston to the east; Dallas to the south) of lower income (RED). Upper and middle income placements are not as cut and dry amongst the two.

Despite the two cities being similar in Upper/Lower overall percentages, check out the graphic differences:

The Rise of Residential Segregation by Income | Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Houston | Pew Social & Demographic Trends
http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/incom...gation/dallas/

Comparing the two, does it appear that Houston has more middle/upper class closer in the core (central neighborhoods) vs Dallas?

Last edited by mayfair44; 08-04-2012 at 06:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas