Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:49 PM

63 posts, read 123,992 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm currently a student in Pittsburgh and am looking to visit a few places in the next couple years. I figure I'd try to narrow down the search and find a few places to check out in Texas. Essentially, I'm planning on being in a writing-heavy career (the jobs interesting me are paralegal, copywriting, technical writing or editing jobs), and I'm more of the outdoorsy type. I'm used to humid summers on the east coast (think Philadelphia), though I'm not sure how they compare to those in coastal Texas or the dry summers in other parts of Texas. Regardless, I like hot summers (humid or dry, whatever), and want a warm area for most of the year if possible.

It seems to me that most places in Texas have far better employment opportunities than other states such as California, (southeastern) Pennsylvania and Florida to name a few, so I'd be looking for a city with at least decent employment. I like to at least be near a city, but also being near nature - I'd prefer to be in an area were I could get away from the urban sprawl and go hiking, for instance. The closer to the coast, the better, but not entirely necessary. Any ideas?

Edit: I figure I should add that I'm not too materialistic, love staying fit and eating healthy and am pretty laid-back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 11:13 PM

74 posts, read 237,821 times
Texas is no different than any other states, unemployment is high, jobs available are around $10 per hour. You would likely do that for a while in Texas unless you have friends in high places here. Most younger people like Austin, it's a fun city, the hill country is very close, great hikes and a nice lake (not much water now because of drought), downtown Austin is Party Central at night, 6th street is closed to cars and thousands fill the streets, lot's of live music bars. Jobs in Austin are High Tech, Education, Medicine and State Government (being the capital).

Houston is very large and diverse, very humid, energy centered economy with quick access to the beach.

Dallas/Fort Worth has a little of everything, very spread out, nice lakes and off road biking trails are available, check out Grapevine, TX.

San Antonio is Tourism focused with many Insurance companies, some nice areas in NW San Antonio hilly areas, and there is Sea World.

There are smaller cities in West Texas, Desert like area, Windy, very Dry Climate, very low unemployment....Midland/Odessa is lowest in state about 3.9%....big Oil Boom there, but tough climate and ugly area. Lubbock isn't bad, Wichita Falls is okay for smaller cities...but jobs are limited in the smaller cities.

Bring money with you as it may take time to find work.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:22 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtymes70 View Post
Texas is no different than any other states, unemployment is high, jobs available are around $10 per hour. You would likely do that for a while in Texas unless you have friends in high places here. Most younger people like Austin, it's a fun city, the hill country is very close, great hikes and a nice lake (not much water now because of drought), downtown Austin is Party Central at night, 6th street is closed to cars and thousands fill the streets, lot's of live music bars. Jobs in Austin are High Tech, Education, Medicine and State Government (being the capital).

Houston is very large and diverse, very humid, energy centered economy with quick access to the beach.

Dallas/Fort Worth has a little of everything, very spread out, nice lakes and off road biking trails are available, check out Grapevine, TX.

San Antonio is Tourism focused with many Insurance companies, some nice areas in NW San Antonio hilly areas, and there is Sea World.

There are smaller cities in West Texas, Desert like area, Windy, very Dry Climate, very low unemployment....Midland/Odessa is lowest in state about 3.9%....big Oil Boom there, but tough climate and ugly area. Lubbock isn't bad, Wichita Falls is okay for smaller cities...but jobs are limited in the smaller cities.

Bring money with you as it may take time to find work.
That is a good succinct answer.

The OP should visit all the places mentioned to see for him/herself.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:44 PM

310 posts, read 1,024,815 times
Anywhere in Texas but Arlington.

The place is a cesspool of thugs and gangs.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:14 PM

385 posts, read 967,886 times
If you are good at writing copy, then you should look into internet marketing. If successful, you could live anywhere in the world that has internet.

I love the Texas heat. Keeps me from getting too fat.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:11 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebor79 View Post
I love the Texas heat. Keeps me from getting too fat.
That has not worked out to well for most of Texas.

The skinniest and fattest US cities revealed | Fox News

Top 10 most obese metro areas (with percent of residents considered obese):
  • McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, Texas: 38.8 percent
  • Binghamton, N.Y.: 37.6
  • Huntington-Ashland, W. Va., Ky., Ohio: 36.0
  • Rockford, Ill.: 35.5
  • Beaumont-Port Arthur, Texas: 33.8
  • Charleston, W. Va.: 33.8
  • Lakeland-Winter Haven, Fla.: 33.5
  • Topeka, Kans.: 33.3
  • Kennewick-Pasco-Richland, Wash.: 33.2
  • Reading, Penn.: 32.7
Other Texas cities on the fat end of the list:
  • Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood, Texas: 30.0
  • Lubbock, Texas: 29.8
  • San Antonio, Texas: 29.1
[LEFT]
Read more: The skinniest and fattest US cities revealed | Fox News
[/LEFT]

Old 02-02-2014, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,223 times
Coming from the North you will find the conservative political climate in Texas very aggravating at times. Obamacare will likely not get passed by the state. Our Governor can be a pain in the ass and likes to boast his stupidity by saying things like we should secede from the Union. But all of that aside Austin is probably the most liberal and progressive part of the state for someone your age. It won't be as much of a culture shock moving from the North. Austin has a lot to offer in the way of outdoor activities, museums, concerts, etc. I would think San Antonio might be a nice place to live also. Best of luck in your decision.

Actually I think they base the 'skinnest and fattest' cities by the population and the number of gyms/workout areas per number of people. Really how do they know how much all the population weighs? No doubt there is a weight problem but I would think it is no worse in Texas than other cities in the South.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:56 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Don't overlook east Texas! There are some good cities between Houston and Wichita Falls and Shreveport!

Old 02-02-2014, 09:59 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

Top 10 most obese metro areas (with percent of residents considered obese):
[list][*]McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, Texas: 38.8 percent
GO RGV!

Old 02-02-2014, 11:36 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times
Last stats for Midland/Odessa unemployment rates were 2.8 and 3.6 respectively.

COL is high for cities of their size though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas