Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 11:41 AM

142 posts, read 933,694 times

Advertisements

My mom and her husband currently live in Northern Virginia on 8 acres of land. It's rolling hill country at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains and it's a lovely area, but it's also one of the most expensive counties in the country to reside in. I suggested they look into Texas, and of course, I know nothing about the state, LOL. I'm hoping some folks on here can shed some light!

I think they'd want property, but not as much as they have now since they may not keep their horses. My mom likes to garden and probably would want a private well. And, even though it's humid in VA I think they'd want to stay away from the Houston area. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 12:01 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Start in the Texas Hill Country- between Austin & San Antonio. Towns like Fredrickburg and Boerne.

It's not Virginia, but it's pretty with rolling hills, rivers and lakes and well situated between two major cities for shopping, airports, & major medical facilities.

Whether they can afford land with horses depends on their budget

PS- no income tax in TX but beware the high sales tax (8.25% in most parts) and high property taxes (around 2-3% of property value due each year).

Old 03-07-2011, 12:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Texas is not virginia really just as it isn't california.The Texas hillcountry is not as green as say virgina and youmight find a greener area of texas more lie it really that has rollig hills like est of the hill county or slightly southeast.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:30 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
You also might take at look into east Texas say around Tyler. You might be able to avoid the water problems that we have in the Hill country every couple of years cause of our droughts. Also, when you have a well down here it has to be fairly deep and usually requires blasting thru the limestone that we all sit on. East Texas you might have somewhat of an easier time to get a well done.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:41 PM

347 posts, read 468,067 times
The Texas hill country is your best bet, the higher in elevation, the better. If you get east of I-35 expect very hot and humid summers. The humidity is NOT just confined to the Houston area, either. Dallas, San Antonio, Fort Worth and Austin will see the heat index rise well over 100 often in the summer.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:49 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtogrif View Post
My mom and her husband currently live in Northern Virginia on 8 acres of land. It's rolling hill country at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains and it's a lovely area, but it's also one of the most expensive counties in the country to reside in. I suggested they look into Texas, and of course, I know nothing about the state, LOL. I'm hoping some folks on here can shed some light!

I think they'd want property, but not as much as they have now since they may not keep their horses. My mom likes to garden and probably would want a private well. And, even though it's humid in VA I think they'd want to stay away from the Houston area. Any suggestions?
Nothing in Texas will compare to the beauty in Virginia, especially that close the the Blue Mountains!! But they probably can find something cheaper. I definitely suggest staying away from Houston much too hot and humid.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:53 AM

142 posts, read 933,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Nothing in Texas will compare to the beauty in Virginia, especially that close the the Blue Mountains!! But they probably can find something cheaper. I definitely suggest staying away from Houston much too hot and humid.
Yes, Virginia is beautiful but it's also hot and humid in the summer. The stink bug problem in the fall is driving them crazy, too, these days. Anyway, I think they'd like any place that is open space. Their property taxes in VA are close to $10, 000 but their county has land use laws in place to give people a break on taxes and the tax bill gets cut quite a bit. So, they started beekeeping and selling their honey and honeycomb locally and at fairs. Many of their neighbors use their land for profit of some kind to avoid the taxes.

I figured the well issue might be a problem just like it is here in AZ. Her main concern is the ability to garden and grow things on the land. I don't think they've researched that too much, either. Here in AZ, I do better with a raised garden but we also have extreme heat that tops most of Texas for a longer period of time.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:02 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtogrif View Post
Yes, Virginia is beautiful but it's also hot and humid in the summer. The stink bug problem in the fall is driving them crazy, too, these days. Anyway, I think they'd like any place that is open space. Their property taxes in VA are close to $10, 000 but their county has land use laws in place to give people a break on taxes and the tax bill gets cut quite a bit. So, they started beekeeping and selling their honey and honeycomb locally and at fairs. Many of their neighbors use their land for profit of some kind to avoid the taxes.

I figured the well issue might be a problem just like it is here in AZ. Her main concern is the ability to garden and grow things on the land. I don't think they've researched that too much, either. Here in AZ, I do better with a raised garden but we also have extreme heat that tops most of Texas for a longer period of time.

Summers in Texas will be worse, and longer, and property taxes here aren't exactly low.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:19 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
There is no place in Texas like Virginia. I love Virginia and the scenery, but you will not find Virginia in Texas. They might like the Hill Country, but that is still a stretch compared to Virginia; especially Northern VA.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:41 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
Mom,
Its easier to use raised beds here also unless you want to amend your soil (heavy duty) Your standard garden veggies and fruit do fine in raised beds, just different growing seasons than what she is used to) They have an agriculture exemptions here but it takes a while to get that so if they do look for land, look for something that already has one. Land is going to be pretty pricey for Texas but good luck to yall if they want to come this way but we still get humidity not as much as coastal VA though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas