Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite destination in Texas?
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown 41 26.97%
Dallas-Plano-Irving 22 14.47%
Fort Worth-Arlington 9 5.92%
San Antonio-New Braunfels 29 19.08%
Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos 27 17.76%
El Paso 2 1.32%
Corpus Christi 3 1.97%
Beaumont-Port Arthur 1 0.66%
Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood 0 0%
Brownsville-Harlingen 0 0%
Lubbock 1 0.66%
Amarillo 2 1.32%
College Station-Bryan 1 0.66%
Waco 2 1.32%
Longview 0 0%
Tyler 2 1.32%
Laredo 1 0.66%
Abilene 1 0.66%
Midland 0 0%
Odessa 0 0%
Wichita Falls 1 0.66%
Texarkana 1 0.66%
Victoria 0 0%
Sherman-Denison 0 0%
San Angelo 2 1.32%
McAllen-Edinburg-Mission 4 2.63%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:50 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,776,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
man you see, smell and taste BBQ north south east west, North east, etc of Houston.

In Fact Houston is great because you get both the Texas Dry BBD and The Southern juicy BBQ. What is wrong with BBQ AND Jamabalaya and Corn Bread??

Thats the great thing about Houston, it is more than a one trick pony.

And Garth Brooks? Man what part of Houston did you live? Beaumont???
What's Texas Dry BBQ?

And Southern juicy BBQ...? I have a feeling you're a little confused on your BBQ classifications
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 07:56 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,769,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post

2. Dallas - Close second to Houston. It feels more Texan, sterile, less international and kinda bland. This honestly isn't meant to be a diss toward Dallas; that's just how I feel. Either way; I love it.
else.
I must be alone, but to me Houston feels more Texan and international at the same time. Dallas has always felt the least Texan to me, but rather Dallas feels the most "American" if that makes sense.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:03 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,352,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Georgia is an exaggeration
if we're talking South Georgia, then it really isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Houston does not 'stand out' more than any other big city in the state. Yes, it's the largest and most well-known, but the city that stands out the most in Texas is definitely Austin, for better or worse.
That's your opinion, but I couldn't disagree more. Austin is good at marketing itself and being perceived as the "special" city in Texas (which is exaggerated, at best), but it certainly doesn't feel un-Texan enough to stand out much.

Every city in the state has something going for it, but as another poster said, Houston feels and looks more like Louisiana than Texas.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I must be alone, but to me Houston feels more Texan and international at the same time. Dallas has always felt the least Texan to me, but rather Dallas feels the most "American" if that makes sense.
In almost every way, Dallas looks and feels more like Texas than Houston.

But I'm sure someone will try to swing the argument with the fact that we have a rodeo and Dallas doesn't.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:16 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,982,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
What's Texas Dry BBQ?

And Southern juicy BBQ...? I have a feeling you're a little confused on your BBQ classifications
Not confused at all. Texas BBQ is drier that what you would get in say Memphis, or other areas in the South.

Texas BBQ uses a drier method. Southern BBQ is slathered in sauce.

man you don't know your BBQ and you telling people they are confused. LOL seat down

Texas BBQ:
http://joesbarbequecompany.com/catal.../texas-bbq.jpg

Southern BBQ:
http://media.pennlive.com/go/photo/s...7b103c7a53.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

But I'm sure someone will try to swing the argument with the fact that we have a rodeo and Dallas doesn't.
Quote:
Don't know which one of you I would agree with.

I agree with Just Me that Dallas feels more American. Lot of people from there has that all American look and it has more ties to the heartland.

Houston seems more mixed.

I don't agree with Nairobi's comment that Dallas feels more Texan in every way, Like I said earlier I am not sure what the Texas feel is. There has been a stereotype for All American, but I am not sure what an All Texan looks like.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:

I didn't mean it as an insult. What about Dallas do you find Texan?

Old 01-24-2012, 08:24 PM

178 posts, read 379,967 times
Houston is the only actual "city" in Texas, when a few of my friends from San Antonio visited they thought uptown was downtown. It sets the trends for the rest of Texas and most of the southern united states. Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas all have special qualities but Houston will always have the same qualities (and more) on a much higher level, ex: Austin is known as the live music capital of the world only because it doesnt have much more going for it besides politics and college football, In reality Houston has the most well known and successful music scene in Texas. San Antonio is the second biggest city in the state and i lived there for almost 3 years but I still can't view it as a "city" because its not very urban even though most there believe or want to believe its bigger and better than Houston. I can see how Dallas is trying to come up as a city and has a much better future than San Antonio but it still has nothing Houston can't top. The only thing the other cites have over Houston is that "Texas" feel. Houston has that coastal dirty south feel. If there weren't so many Texas license plates here you'd never know you were in Texas

Old 01-24-2012, 08:25 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,982,375 times
Quote:
simple answer Fort Worth , lol.

Plus Big Tex lives there

Old 01-24-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Being in the central, more nondescript part of the state, Dallas simply falls more in line with what can commonly be called "Texan" and not be mistaken for anything else; especially when it comes to the weather and terrain, with the drier air, wide open prairies, rolling hills, and shrubby trees.

With its pines, live oaks, bayous, and Spanish moss, Houston looks more like Florida than it does Austin, which is less than 200 miles away. When it comes to the culture, there's too much of a Cajun influence here for anyone to argue that this city is typically Texan.

It all comes down to the fact that Dallas sits in a more neutral part of Texas, while Houston is located in one of the more extreme regions.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Being in the central, more nondescript part of the state, Dallas simply falls more in line with what can commonly be called "Texan" and not be mistaken for anything else; especially when it comes to the weather and terrain, with the drier air, wide open prairies, rolling hills, and shrubby trees.

With its pines, live oaks, bayous, and Spanish moss, Houston looks more like Florida than it does Austin, which is less than 200 miles away. When it comes to the culture, there's too much of a Cajun influence here for anyone to argue that this city is typically Texan.

It all comes down to the fact that Dallas sits in a more neutral part of Texas, while Houston is located in one of the more extreme regions.
Ahh, ok. This I agree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas