Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite destination in Texas?
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown 41 26.97%
Dallas-Plano-Irving 22 14.47%
Fort Worth-Arlington 9 5.92%
San Antonio-New Braunfels 29 19.08%
Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos 27 17.76%
El Paso 2 1.32%
Corpus Christi 3 1.97%
Beaumont-Port Arthur 1 0.66%
Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood 0 0%
Brownsville-Harlingen 0 0%
Lubbock 1 0.66%
Amarillo 2 1.32%
College Station-Bryan 1 0.66%
Waco 2 1.32%
Longview 0 0%
Tyler 2 1.32%
Laredo 1 0.66%
Abilene 1 0.66%
Midland 0 0%
Odessa 0 0%
Wichita Falls 1 0.66%
Texarkana 1 0.66%
Victoria 0 0%
Sherman-Denison 0 0%
San Angelo 2 1.32%
McAllen-Edinburg-Mission 4 2.63%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:01 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Oh now dallas is a carbon copy........sheeesh!!! make your mind up.... all 1000 of your other posts were about how dallas is sooooo different and dont hold a candle to houston.(It totally does)
I said almost a carbon copy.

There are things about Houston that are vastly different than Dallas. For instance, its blanket of tall evergreen trees (pine trees) across half of the metro, proximity to an ocean, culture, vibe, quirkiness, etc.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-24-2012 at 10:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 10:18 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
2. Dallas - Close second to Houston. It feels more Texan, sterile, less international and kinda bland. This honestly isn't meant to be a diss toward Dallas; that's just how I feel. Either way; I love it.
Well heck. You could have named one advantage or positive for Dallas lol.

My ranking
1. Houston
2. Dallas
3. Austin
4. San Antonio
5. Fort Worth
6. Corpus Christi
7. The Rest.

After Austin, there is a gap. After Fort Worth, there is a massive gap. How big of a gap do you think is between 6 and 7? As big as the distance between here and the Sombrero Galaxy at least to live.

Houston does actually feel like a city not part of Texas though. It feels like a city in Central Florida or Southern Louisiana than it does for Texas. But that's what makes Texas great.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Dallas is concrete too but at least the climate is less wet and dreary in the winter.

I don't really care about diversity. I'm an immigrant from the Caribbean, I'm mixed race, and I've lived in the Middle East... So I don't need other people to be diverse.
Less wet & dreary? Seriously?

Houston is on average 5-20 degrees warmer in the winter time than Dallas is.

Right now its 52 degrees in Dallas.

In Houston its 69 degrees.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
In almost every way, Dallas looks and feels more like Texas than Houston.

But I'm sure someone will try to swing the argument with the fact that we have a rodeo and Dallas doesn't.
Dallas does have a large rodeo, its in neighboring Mesquite (Dallas County).

http://www.mesquiterodeo.com/

Old 01-24-2012, 10:51 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well heck. You could have named one advantage or positive for Dallas lol.

My ranking
1. Houston
2. Dallas
3. Austin
4. San Antonio
5. Fort Worth
6. Corpus Christi
7. The Rest.

After Austin, there is a gap. After Fort Worth, there is a massive gap. How big of a gap do you think is between 6 and 7? As big as the distance between here and the Sombrero Galaxy at least to live.

Houston does actually feel like a city not part of Texas though. It feels like a city in Central Florida or Southern Louisiana than it does for Texas. But that's what makes Texas great.
Lol is the rest just the "big" cities in Texas, or virtually every municipality in the state?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Less wet & dreary? Seriously?

Houston is on average 5-20 degrees warmer in the winter time than Dallas is.

Right now its 52 degrees in Dallas.

In Houston its 69 degrees.
I didn't get that "dreary" comment, either. I personally prefer Dallas' winters, but Houston is commonly mild and more sunny during the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas does have a large rodeo, its in neighboring Mesquite (Dallas County).

Mesquite Pro Rodeo | Resistol Arena | Mesquite Rodeo | Resistol Arena | Championship Rodeo
You know what I mean.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:15 AM

285 posts, read 567,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I voted for what was labelled "Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos", but that is an incredibly stupid amalgamation IMO. Austin proper can NOT be lumped in with Round Rock, and has just about nothing to do with San Marcos. I lived in Austin from 1973, 1974-76, 1985-2004, so I'm basing this on real knowledge.
That may be a "stupid amalgamation" to you and I agree that it is a bit unnecessary for the purposes of this poll, but that grouping of cities (actually, counties) is what officially comprises the Austin metropolitan area. It isn't just some random grouping of cities but rather looks like the OP's attempt to let voters choose their favorite metropolitan area rather than city proper.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:17 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Not confused at all. Texas BBQ is drier that what you would get in say Memphis, or other areas in the South.

Texas BBQ uses a drier method. Southern BBQ is slathered in sauce.

man you don't know your BBQ and you telling people they are confused. LOL seat down

Texas BBQ:
http://joesbarbequecompany.com/catal.../texas-bbq.jpg

Southern BBQ:
http://media.pennlive.com/go/photo/s...7b103c7a53.jpg
I would 'seat down', but I'm trying to show you your mistake. Absolutely zero people call it 'Texas Dry BBQ', and there really isn't anything dry about it. Have you been to any Central Texas BBQ places?? Yes, it's not centered around the sauce but there's nothing dry about brisket, pork ribs and sausage.

Memphis BBQ is way drier than Texas...most Memphis ribs have only a dry rub. Memphis Style Ribs - Southern Style Dry Rub Pork Ribs

Like I said, you're confused.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:24 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
That's your opinion, but I couldn't disagree more. Austin is good at marketing itself and being perceived as the "special" city in Texas (which is exaggerated, at best), but it certainly doesn't feel un-Texan enough to stand out much.

Every city in the state has something going for it, but as another poster said, Houston feels and looks more like Louisiana than Texas.
Man, the typical knee-jerk reaction when anyone says Austin is unique. I'm not saying anything about Austin being more special or better. I just mean in the sense of political sentiment, environmental activism, support for independent business, NIMBYism and a focus on fitness/outdoors Austin stands out. Houston just feels so large and broad-based to stand out as a whole.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Man, the typical knee-jerk reaction when anyone says Austin is unique. I'm not saying anything about Austin being more special or better. I just mean in the sense of political sentiment, environmental activism, support for independent business, NIMBYism and a focus on fitness/outdoors Austin stands out. Houston just feels so large and broad-based to stand out as a whole.
No one's trying to bash Austin or anything. I'm just stating my disagreement.

Like I said before, every major city in Texas has something unique about it, but as a native of the state, Austin does not stand out enough, to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas