Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:21 AM

5,505 posts, read 7,800,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
La Vega and Connally are not country schools and you forgot AJ Moore.
Exactly. La Vega and Connally have pretty new school buildings. Connally HS was built as a new school not long ago. But the districts themselves are located in the poorer and more run down northern end of the Waco metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 11:22 AM

977 posts, read 1,960,805 times
How is the aera near the Richland Mall? I am looking to move to Waco this summer and some of the housing I have looked at is near there...between Highway 6 and Valley Mills.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:20 AM

It's an average area. The apartments along Highway 6 and behind the mall look pretty seedy. The houses get nicer as you go towards the lake. The area you are talking about is about middle range for Waco. There are some much nicer and much worse neighborhoods.

Two questions:

1. Are you looking for a house or apartment?
2. Do you have school age kids?

If you have kids who will be attending public schools then you have a lot of other issues to deal with in terms of location. If not, then you have a lot more options.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 PM

That's kind of what I figured, based on my uber-in depth realtor.com and google street view-based research.
1- House. 100k or under, the farther under the better, although I need something in a decent area, nothing ghetto.
2- Yes, but he is already there and in the Woodway district, so it's a non-issue. It's the reason I am moving there.

This area meets both of those needs, as far as affordability and proximity to the Woodway district. I will probably be working on Industrial so it will be close to that as well.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:02 PM

That area is basically what you are looking for then. We have several friends who live in that area with small pre-school age kids. It is perfectly fine. Various young teachers who teach in the Woodway area have bought houses around there due to the lower cost. If you look at a map I would say anything within the area bounded by Highway 6, Waco Drive, New Road, and Lake Waco will be perfectly acceptable (most of the 76710 zip code). There are also some nice areas on the other side of New Road all the way up to say MacArthur/34th street but it starts to get sketchier the further you go towards downtown unless you are right on the lake or right along Austin Avenue.

You might also look in the Hewitt area (76643 zip code). There are plenty of modest looking houses in that area as well. The listings basically start at around $100,000 but there are a lot in that price range. Everything is close in Waco. It would be no more than a 10 minute drive over to the Richmond Mall area from most of Hewitt.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:15 PM

Thanks for the info, that pretty much makes my mind up. And by Industrial, I meant Imperial Dr. Not sure why I put Industrial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas